Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road
Replace 10 year old servo? >

Replace 10 year old servo?

Like Tree20Likes

Replace 10 year old servo?

Old 05-07-2021, 10:10 AM
Tech Initiate

Default Replace 10 year old servo?

I used to race a B4.1 10 years ago. I had a Savox 1257tg servo in it. I got back into the hobby in November of last year. I pulled that servo out of the B4 and put it in my freshly built B6.2d. Last night, I hit a car going backwards on the straight and the main output gear stripped. So now do I buy a new servo for $60 or replace the gears for $30?
Old 05-07-2021, 01:37 PM
Tech Apprentice

Originally Posted by Deeerek07 View Post
I used to race a B4.1 10 years ago. I had a Savox 1257tg servo in it. I got back into the hobby in November of last year. I pulled that servo out of the B4 and put it in my freshly built B6.2d. Last night, I hit a car going backwards on the straight and the main output gear stripped. So now do I buy a new servo for $60 or replace the gears for $30?
Seems like a good time to upgrade from the Savox
Old 05-07-2021, 01:40 PM
Tech Champion

New Servo.

I recommend a Hitec or Tekin.
Old 05-07-2021, 01:41 PM
Tech Elite

Talking

Last edited by the rc guy; 05-07-2021 at 04:06 PM.
Old 05-07-2021, 03:59 PM
Tech Initiate

Originally Posted by Shawn B View Post
Seems like a good time to upgrade from the Savox
Upgrade? I used it in my B4 for about 3 years and in my B6 since November, never had a problem. Why would I switch brands?
Family_Racing likes this.
Old 05-07-2021, 05:55 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 43 (100%+)

thats a decent servo a 2wd buggy doesnt need anything crazy. change the gears if you know its nothing electronically wrong.
Old 05-07-2021, 08:02 PM
Tech Apprentice

Upgrade? I used it in my B4 for about 3 years and in my B6 since November, never had a problem. Why would I switch brands?
High power consumption,large deadband,noisey and erratic operation along with cheap internals are a few reasons why Savox is mediocre
Zerodefect and mes like this.
Old 05-07-2021, 11:07 PM
Tech Initiate

Originally Posted by Shawn B View Post
High power consumption,large deadband,noisey and erratic operation along with cheap internals are a few reasons why Savox is mediocre
​​​​​​Large deadband? What does that mean?
Noisy? Doesn't bother me when the car is on the trackErratic operations? Never had a problem with thatCheap internals? Only broke one from hitting another car on the straight.

Based on my experience, if Savox servos are mediocre, then quality brands are over built and charge too much.
Old 05-08-2021, 04:32 AM
Tech Apprentice

​​​​​​Large deadband? What does that mean?
Noisy? Doesn't bother me when the car is on the trackErratic operations? Never had a problem with thatCheap internals? Only broke one from hitting another car on the straight.

Based on my experience, if Savox servos are mediocre, then quality brands are over built and charge too much.
Then put a gear set in the ugly glitch monster and be done with it instead of asking opinions on here
Old 05-08-2021, 05:00 AM
Tech Fanatic

I would just replace the gears if everything else is in working order. You could also buy another servo just to have a spare one on hand. Honestly imho there is nothing wrong w/ Savox servo's. I have several and have never had an issue out of any of them. Sure there are better servo's out there, but for the money they are great.
Old 05-08-2021, 06:23 AM
Tech Fanatic

The main points here are there are many servos that are better than that Savox 1257. But it doesn’t make that servo bad either. You haven’t raced in quite some time. Changing servos isn’t going to make or break you. Swap the gears or replace the servo. It really doesn’t matter when all is send and done.
Old 05-08-2021, 06:28 AM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by Shawn B;[url=tel:15785041
15785041[/url]]Then put a gear set in the ugly glitch monster and be done with it instead of asking opinions on here
glitch monster? Noisy? If the servo is causing you glitching itís defective or you have other things going on causing the problem. Or you use Spektrum. They are the glitch monsters. As for noise 0_o do you have dog hearing or something. 5 feet away and you canít hear to much. Put it on the track and you will never hear it. Thatís a weird argument. Savox was one of the best in the game for a long time. And still are.

new brushless technology is absolutely better but in the end the servo will turn the car just as good as a new servo would.
petersen114 likes this.
Old 05-08-2021, 06:28 AM
Tech Champion

​​​​​​

How would you know? You run Savox in a 2wd car.

There's way better servos available, if you'd like.
Old 05-08-2021, 07:40 AM
Tech Apprentice

Originally Posted by soulcoma View Post
glitch monster? Noisy? If the servo is causing you glitching itís defective or you have other things going on causing the problem. Or you use Spektrum. They are the glitch monsters. As for noise 0_o do you have dog hearing or something. 5 feet away and you canít hear to much. Put it on the track and you will never hear it. Thatís a weird argument. Savox was one of the best in the game for a long time. And still are.

new brushless technology is absolutely better but in the end the servo will turn the car just as good as a new servo would.
JUNK
Old 05-08-2021, 09:39 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

I'd just replace the gears and carry on, when you need more performance from your servo then upgrade, seems to me right now that you just need your servo to makes the wheels turn again.
In those extremely fast, heavy, tank like 2wd 17.5 stock buggies you need something like this ideally. https://www.amainhobbies.com/mks-ser...hbl599/p451000
RazorRC likes this.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.