Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road
Cleaner for ceramic bearings >

Cleaner for ceramic bearings

Cleaner for ceramic bearings

Old 04-24-2021, 07:03 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)
Default Cleaner for ceramic bearings

Just curious what everyone is using to clean ceramic bearings?

I understand that motor spray is a no no for them and that I am supposed to use a citrus based cleaner.

I only race on carpet, but there is plenty of lint and I imagine some of it has the potential to get in the bearings.
Old 04-24-2021, 08:32 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 99 (100%+)

I use Boca Clean Touch cleaner.
Old 04-24-2021, 09:36 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

I use an ultrasonic cleaner with mineral spirits works great for me.

Idk about a citrus cleaner, I used simple green on some Trinity ceramic bearings and Pilot ceramics and ruined them. Luckily those were a few spares that were super gritty so tossing them didn't hurt too much.
Old 04-24-2021, 09:42 AM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by Alexv2024 View Post
I use an ultrasonic cleaner with mineral spirits works great for me.

Idk about a citrus cleaner, I used simple green on some Trinity ceramic bearings and Pilot ceramics and ruined them. Luckily those were a few spares that were super gritty so tossing them didn't hurt too much.
I do have an ultrasonic cleaner. I should've emailed pilot first, which I just did, as I have their bearings. Duh!
Old 04-24-2021, 09:44 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Iíve used simple green in an ultrasonic cleaner on ceramics recently and havenít had any issues. I needed to spend more time spinning them up with an air compressor after treatment to free them up. Or dip them in some acetone after the simple green cleaning and blast them with air until they spin up freely.

this is just what Iíve done recently to clean my ceramic clutch bearings (nitro). Not sure how repeatable this process is going to be over the long term, but it has worked well at least twice on this set of ceramic clutch bearings

Ultrasonic cleaner from Amazon

Serviced ceramic bearings and clutch

Last edited by rabidsquirrel; 04-24-2021 at 11:22 AM.
Old 04-25-2021, 09:29 AM
Tech Initiate

Why not just flush them with your preferred lube? I don't have any ceramic bearings yet but I use tri-flow spray to clean and lube steel bearings.
Old 04-25-2021, 09:41 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 99 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Elkjinx View Post
Why not just flush them with your preferred lube? I don't have any ceramic bearings yet but I use tri-flow spray to clean and lube steel bearings.
Because lube is not a cleaner.... and would not do anything other than move dirt around.
Old 04-25-2021, 10:46 AM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by Elkjinx View Post
Originally Posted by 1/8 IC Fan View Post
Because lube is not a cleaner.... and would not do anything other than move dirt around.
I'm not sure lube would accomplish the cleaning aspect. There could potentially be an argument for using WD40 or something similar in an ultrasonic cleaner. I'm not sure how the viscosity would change the action of the US cleaner.

I'm much less concerned with metal bearings as few normal chemicals will hurt the metals. Rubber seals could be impacted though.
Old 04-25-2021, 07:05 PM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 85 (100%+)

Nobody uses an RPM Bearing blaster anymore? Pop off a shield put the bearing into the blaster and a short shot of electric parts or brake cleaner flushes everything out and the cleaner evaporates away completely so no solvent compromises your oil of choice.

Old 04-25-2021, 07:46 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by Davidka View Post
Nobody uses an RPM Bearing blaster anymore? Pop off a shield put the bearing into the blaster and a short shot of electric parts or brake cleaner flushes everything out and the cleaner evaporates away completely so no solvent compromises your oil of choice.
Ceramic bearings sellers seem to frown on brake cleaner. I do have electronics cleaner roo.