• 1 Post By Mason
  • 1 Post By tomkatn

B5M to T5M Parts compatibility

Old 04-06-2021, 08:57 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 19 (100%+)
Default B5M to T5M Parts compatibility

HI everyone,
I m building two T5M and most the carbon parts / aluminum parts are B5M. Shock towers for example.
Is there an easy way to figure out what is compatible and what isn t ? Part number ?
Old 04-06-2021, 09:49 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by vintage tone View Post
HI everyone,
I m building two T5M and most the carbon parts / aluminum parts are B5M. Shock towers for example.
Is there an easy way to figure out what is compatible and what isn t ? Part number ?

Go to the AE web site and down load both build sheets. They will have the part numbers listed for each part. Then compare them.
vintage tone likes this.
Old 04-06-2021, 09:52 AM
Tech Champion

On AE's site, click on SHOP and then Excel Data exports. You can filter it out in there but the short answer would be things like items that mount directly to the chassis, or do not change length between the vehicles. so front arm mount, rear arm mounts, caster blocks and rear hubs. transmission, waterfall. I don't recall if the front and rear bulkheads are the same though.
vintage tone likes this.
Old 04-06-2021, 06:17 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 104 (100%+)

Turnbuckles, CVD Bones, Arms and towers will be different, due to size as mentioned... T5m uses front axles with more offset, and the rear wing mounts (B5m)/Body Mounts (T5m) will be different ...

Both the 3 and 4 gear trans will fit either, from inner hinge pins in on front of both the same, same for rear (except towers/shocks) ... C &D mounts the same and a good variety available, rear shock bodies on T5m are 36mm rear/27.5mm front ... B5m are 31mm rear/23mm front ... there are two different versions of rear axles, the B5 and the B5m Team kit used the standard, and the B5m Factory Lite and both trucks used the HD ... Front Chassis plate same on both, but the Chassis Cradle is different on them, as T5m fits the longer T5m chassis plate ...

Interestingly enough, there is a B5m Factory Lite currently listed on eBay, that has everything mounted on a T5m Chassis Plate, the only difference is the chassis plate itself, and the chassis cradle ...

If you have any questions just ask, here or PM me if need be ... I have had a few dozen of them

Edit to add: ... I mentioned the two different rear axles, although both will 'fit' either application, and are identical other than diameter ... which is important because it will determine which hex adapters you can use on each ... there are many more options available for the HD size rear axle ...
vintage tone likes this.

Last edited by tomkatn; 04-07-2021 at 11:34 AM.
Old 04-07-2021, 12:20 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 19 (100%+)

Originally Posted by tomkatn View Post
Turnbuckles, CVD Bones, Arms and towers will be different, due to size as mentioned... T5m uses front axles with more offset, and the rear wing mounts (B5m)/Body Mounts (T5m) will be different ...

Both the 3 and 4 gear trans will fit either, from inner hinge pins in on front of both the same, same for rear (except towers/shocks) ... C &D mounts the same and a good variety available, rear shock bodies on T5m are 36mm rear/27.5mm front ... B5m are 31mm rear/23mm front ... there are two different versions of rear axles, the B5 and the B5m Team kit used the standard, and the B5m Factory Lite and both trucks used the HD ... Front Chassis plate same on both, but the Chassis Cradle is different on them, as T5m fits the longer T5m chassis plate ...

Interestingly enough, there is a B5m Factory Lite advertised on eBay, that has everything mounted on a T5m Chassis Plate ...

If you have any questions just ask, here or PM if need be ... I have had a few dozen of them

Edit to add: ... I mentioned the two different rear axles, although both will 'fit' either application, and are identical other than diameter ... which is important because it will determine which hex adapters you can use on each ... there are many more options available for the HD size rear axle ...
Thank you so much ! I m new to them.
I can't find much aluminum or carbon options for them .
I m building two fitting baja bug bodies. My wife is just getting into it .
Old 04-07-2021, 11:41 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 104 (100%+)

Originally Posted by vintage tone View Post
Thank you so much ! I m new to them.
I can't find much aluminum or carbon options for them ...
There has also been a LOT of aftermarket items produced for the '5' series, although some has surely been discontinued and no longer found ... you will also see parts listed as a 'B5m' item, in some cases that is simply because the B5m Team was the first mid-motor item introduced on that platform, the B5m Factory Lite, T5m and SC5m received many of those same components, but they still carry B5m designation ...

Some parts may be more difficult to find than others, since the 5 series is now several generations old ... you will also notice some of the parts when found, will be marked up significantly higher than MSRP due to the fact of their perceived scarcity ...