Which 4x4 Basher?

Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By jchammbone
  • 1 Post By Rcdad42

Which 4x4 Basher?

Old 03-14-2021, 04:17 PM
Tech Rookie

Default Which 4x4 Basher?

I had a Traxxas TMaxx a couple years ago. I bought it used and did some work to get it running good. Still the truck seemed to always need something else and nitro fuel is a pain. I'm now looking for a 1/8-1/10 scale 4x4 basher. My budget is around $300. Found a few but can't decide which to get. My must haves are large size, brushless, 4 wheel drive, RTR. I don't mind buying batteries but I want all the other components. Here is what I am considering. I want the fasted truck I can get in my price range out of the box that is also the most durable.
#1 so far VRX Racing RH818 EBD 485mm 1/8 2.4G 4WD Brushless Rc Car Off-road Truck RTR

#2 so far ARRMA 1/10 Granite 4X4 V3 3S BLX Brushless Monster RC Truck RTR

ZD Racing 9116 1/8 2.4G 4WD 80A 3670 Brushless RC Car Monster Off-road Truck RTR

Vkar Racing 1/10 4WD Brushless Off Road Truggy BISON RTR 51201 RC Car

1/10 BIG ROCK 4X4 V3 3S BLX Brushless Monster Truck RTR
Old 03-16-2021, 11:09 PM
Tech Initiate

Big Rock Crew Cab...... heard, read its a great truck. I don't have one myself but it is on my list. Parts support biggest issue i can see with the others... Granite supposedly good as well, both arrma s good choices. I like the BRCC myself.
good luck!
Rcdad42 likes this.
Old 03-16-2021, 11:55 PM
Tech Regular

I'd pick the Granite, or the big rock.
RazorRC likes this.
Old 03-17-2021, 03:04 PM
Tech Rookie

Thank you guys. I am also considering RedCat Racing. I do like the Arrmas though...
Old 03-17-2021, 03:10 PM
Tech Apprentice

I don't personally have experience with redcat but have read a lot of bad experiences here. There is one advertised in the for sale forum and has been listed since September with daily bumps if that says anything... I plan to stay l stear clear of them
Old 03-18-2021, 04:40 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Jack10525 View Post
Thank you guys. I am also considering RedCat Racing. I do like the Arrmas though...
the granite seems to work well on 3s and hold up for its size

I usually stay away from redcoat but have heard good things about the trm10e but may be a bit put of your range?
Old 03-18-2021, 10:48 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

My son and I have the v2 Big Rock. On 2s they are fun. Just go full throttle type fun. On 3s they become a little bit of a handful until you get the throttle control down.

The thing to know about the Arrma 3s lineup is they are basically the same vehicle except for the chassis length and suspension arm width. So the granite is short chassis and short arms. While the big rock is long chassis short arms. I put the Typhon long arms, drive shafts, and wheel hexes on mine to make it wider and support a 17mm wheel hub.

As for durability I can only speak for the v2. We go through shock shafts like candy. I eventually put tekno shocks on mine. Might try the v3 shocks on my son's. We've gone through the standard arms breaking by running full speed into things. The latest carnage came from running at the ocean. Sand got in around the diffs and scratched up the plastic housing. I didn't notice until the plastic housing started melting. After the plastic re-hardened the rear end was frozen.
Old 03-18-2021, 01:32 PM
Tech Rookie

Looks like the Arrma Granite is moving into 1st place. Any thoughts on the ARRMA 1/8 Typhon 4X4 V3 3S BLX Brushless Buggy RC Truck RTR.

These 2 vehicles are at the same price point. I'm just looking for a really fast basher that can take some abuse.
Old 03-18-2021, 02:07 PM
Tech Rookie

How do i start a thread?
Old 03-20-2021, 06:21 PM
Tech Regular

What do you mean by "fastest"?

in a straight line?

around a track?

do you want more buggy than monster truck?

don't get what's comfortable, get what you want

And seriously, stay away from Redcat! You stated you wanted durable. Redcat is not.
Old 03-22-2021, 06:45 AM
Tech Initiate

Absolutely do not.

I liked the price point and let myself get sold one (a Tornado) and I don't think I ran a single battery to empty in it...it always broke first! Moved on to a Senton 3S which has been absolutely bulletproof. My grandpa used to tell me he wasn't rich enough to buy cheap things...Redcat brings back the memories.

Last edited by dookie; 03-22-2021 at 05:59 PM.
Old 03-22-2021, 07:55 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Another vote for the Granite here! IMHO, the Granite is the BEST 1/10 MT for the $300 price point. Tough, fast, decent amount of aftermarket, but the latest version does not really need anything unless you will be beating on it hard core...
Looks like the Arrma Granite is moving into 1st place. Any thoughts on the ARRMA 1/8 Typhon 4X4 V3 3S BLX Brushless Buggy RC Truck RTR.

These 2 vehicles are at the same price point. I'm just looking for a really fast basher that can take some abuse.
the Typhon 3s (other than the body, wheels) is basically the same as the Big Rock, but with 17mm wheel hexs. The bigger tires of the Big Rock or Granite will help them be a better basher, but the Typhon will be more nimble. Many people that buy a Typhon for bashing end up putting 2.8MT tires on them because the stock buggy tires just don't bash as well.

Old 03-27-2021, 04:17 PM
Tech Rookie

Well I ended up buying an Arrma Granite V3. Great truck with almost too much power for someone like me. I've already crashed it a hundred times and now need to replace the spur gear. Got one on order already. I crashed hard and bent the motor mount but didn't realize and started shredding the spur gear. I took the car apart and straightened out the motor mount and reinstalled everything. Car still drives but I and only at about 30% teeth on the spur gear. Also not sure how close the drive gears need to be. The car sounds a little funny now. A little more gear whine.