Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By dj23tsi
  • 1 Post By dj23tsi

TLR 22 2.0 Buggy wheelies too much on carpet

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-2021, 08:04 AM
Tech Rookie

Default TLR 22 2.0 Buggy wheelies too much on carpet

I just picked up a TLR 22 2.0 2WD buggy and ran it yesterday on carpet. The previous owner had it setup for carpet but I didn't like it. The steering felt super twitchy to me and it turned a lot harder in one direction than it did in other. It does not have the bellcrank steering. Its a mid motor setup with red front springs and yellow's in the rear and unknown shock oil weight. It got the aluminum front camber block and front pivot. Unfortunately I was only able to run 10-15 laps before I crashed and broke it. The hobby shop I was at didn't have the parts I needed to fix it so I wasn't able to make any adjustments to it all. I'm completely new to buggies and carpet so I'm not 100% sure where to even start to tame this thing and keep the front tires on the ground. One thing I did notice is all the other fast buggies there looked to be a lot lower than mine. I'm not sure how to lower mine anymore so I'll have to look that up. I chatted a few minutes with a guy with a fast 2WD buggy and he said ride height and shock oil weight could help a lot. Any help is appreciated.

Thanks
Old 03-14-2021, 07:08 PM
Tech Apprentice

Reset your buggy to stock build and go from there. Ask the fast guys at the track what setup changes they've made and see if they'll help you get yours up to spec. Buy a few sets of arms and whatever else you feel may break during your track days to keep your car up and running.
Old 03-14-2021, 10:01 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Buy a modern buggy. AT LEAST a 22 4.0 or a B6.2 carpet or b6.1 or b6.0. All those would be massive upgrades from the 2.0.

The 2.0 is garbage compared to current buggies. I got back into racing 3 years ago with one and it was awful. I got a deal on a 4.0 and was amazed. I didn't even sell the 2.0, I took its front suspension as spares and its screws and bearings. Designs have changed so much since the 2.0 that its just not comparable. Plus then you'll have local drivers that can help with setup and the hobby store will have parts for you.
Old 03-15-2021, 02:58 AM
Tech Rookie

Originally Posted by Family_Racing
Reset your buggy to stock build and go from there. Ask the fast guys at the track what setup changes they've made and see if they'll help you get yours up to spec. Buy a few sets of arms and whatever else you feel may break during your track days to keep your car up and running.
That's my plan at the moment. A guy at the track said there's a Losi group that's usually there on Tuesday nights that could help me out.

Originally Posted by Alexv2024
Buy a modern buggy. AT LEAST a 22 4.0 or a B6.2 carpet or b6.1 or b6.0. All those would be massive upgrades from the 2.0. The 2.0 is garbage compared to current buggies.
I'm not a competitive racer and just like to bomb around the track once in a while. That's why I picked up an older RTR setup for a good price instead of dumping a ton into a new rig.
Troubles Dad likes this.

Last edited by dj23tsi; 03-15-2021 at 03:46 AM.
Old 03-15-2021, 07:06 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

I get that, but the older cars especially on super high grip carpet are WAY harder to drive. When I threw down the 4.0 it was just massively easier to drive and made concentrating on driving a lot easier and driving a lot more fun.

The biggest difference is the laydown transmission of course, and that will also help your wheeling problem. You'll get tired of trying to ask for help setting up the 2.0 and getting told no one knows how to set it up or parts you need for it arent there.
Old 03-26-2021, 05:18 PM
Tech Rookie

Thumbs up

I hit the carpet again today with a bunch of changes. It was a more productive day. I made it through 4 battery packs and after changing a few things I seemed to have tamed it enough to have a lot of fun. I ended up going with stiffer springs all around and trying all the different shock positions. I moved the battery forward and adjusted the ESC punch and the wheelies were a lot less and more controllable.

I also put in an order for a TLR 22 5.0 AC
lowspark likes this.
Old 03-30-2021, 04:47 AM
Tech Apprentice

Swap in the laydown transmission, add weights to the battery compartment. Get the esc as low as possible.