Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road
Kyosho 1/10 not competitive anymore? >

Kyosho 1/10 not competitive anymore?

Like Tree37Likes

Kyosho 1/10 not competitive anymore?

Old 02-18-2021, 07:53 AM
Tech Regular

Default Kyosho 1/10 not competitive anymore?

Is Kyosho simply not competitive anymore?

saw the 2wd RB7SS for $219 on sale

but you can get the TLR or AE buggies for only $30-40 more

curious if Kyosho is no longer a competitive brand for 1/10

XRay, Yokomo seem to be the other competitive brands

Last edited by purplegrape; 02-18-2021 at 08:29 AM.
Old 02-18-2021, 08:43 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by purplegrape View Post
Is Kyosho simply not competitive anymore?

saw the 2wd RB7SS for $219 on sale

but you can get the TLR or AE buggies for only $30-40 more

curious if Kyosho is no longer a competitive brand for 1/10

XRay, Yokomo seem to be the other competitive brands

Not sure why you're asking this question. I have seen you in forums where people are talking about the RB7 success all the time. There are a lot of people that still have podium finishes with this buggy. If you look at the specs of it, There isn't any other current performance enhancing parts that this buggy doesn't have that would make is less competitive. Kyosho is able to sell their buggies for much less than the other brands because #1, they don't have the high dollar sponsored drivers and #2, RC cars are not their main source of income. So, are they competitive, absolutely. Do they have outdated performance enhanced parts? Absolutely not. Over all, they are still the most adjustable car out there.

Now, some might say the it doesn't have the quick access diff, but that is not a performance enhancing feature. It is a service enhancing feature. As I have mentioned a hundred times before, if Kyosho were to update the car today, what updates would they make that would make it worth buying a new buggy?

As far as I can see, the only current designs that the RB7 is missing is:
- Quick access diff (Currently an aftermarket part)
- A carpet version with a gear diff (currently a hop-up part from Kyosho)
- Being able to adjust the ONLY the diff height. (currently an aftermarket part)
- Easy access ball studs (currently an aftermarket part)

Out of all of these upgrades, the only performance enhancing ones are being able to adjust the height of diff without moving the motor and gearbox and the gear diff. All of which can be purchased as an aftermarket part.
=Arise=, JCG1 and purplegrape like this.
Old 02-18-2021, 11:49 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 64 (100%+)

The Kyosho 2wd platform has several issues other than the ones mentioned by offroadjunkie (among them that the car is very stiff, durability is not on par with other brands, parts are expensive (xray level- without the durability,) and the design is more than 7 years old- with the major change being the cross mounted battery.) The price difference between the RB7SS and the AE or Losi are closer to $100, but I would think that is money well spent. The RB7SS is on sale for a reason.

In addition, if you get the parts to make up the differences, you have just spent the initial difference in the price of the kits.
thecman26 and Buckland like this.
Old 02-18-2021, 12:57 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Originally Posted by billjacobs View Post
The Kyosho 2wd platform has several issues other than the ones mentioned by offroadjunkie (among them that the car is very stiff, durability is not on par with other brands, parts are expensive (xray level- without the durability,) and the design is more than 7 years old- with the major change being the cross mounted battery.)
This is my understanding of the weaknesses of the Kyosho as well. I will admit to never having owned one though, just the feedback I've gotten from other local fast guys that have raced the RB7 and other current brands.
Old 02-18-2021, 01:21 PM
Tech Elite

The Kyosho 2wd platform has several issues other than the ones mentioned by offroadjunkie (among them that the car is very stiff, durability is not on par with other brands, parts are expensive (xray level- without the durability,) and the design is more than 7 years old- with the major change being the cross mounted battery.) The price difference between the RB7SS and the AE or Losi are closer to $100, but I would think that is money well spent. The RB7SS is on sale for a reason.

In addition, if you get the parts to make up the differences, you have just spent the initial difference in the price of the kits.

WOW!!!
Ok, here we go.
I hate it when people pull facts out of their butt and throw it out there and think they know what they are talking about.

Fact - The RB7 came out near the end of 2018. If my 1st grade math is correct, that is much less than 7 years ago. Try about 3.5 years.
Fact - If the RB7 chassis came out in late 2018, that would make it a newer chassis than the AE and the same age as the TLR. WHAAAAAAAT!!!!
Fact - The Kyosho RB7 is not less durable than the competition. In fact, it is one of the MORE durable ones. Read posts from people, including myself, who has built and ran other brands, including AE and TLR. Even the the ball diffs last more than twice as long as most other brands. A lot of drivers of other brands are even buying the RB7 shocks because they perform better.
Fact - The cost of replacement parts are about the same as AE and TLR but cheaper than Xray, Schumacher and Yokomo. For example, I can get a pair of replacement factory arms for the RB7 for about $10 and carbon arms for about $13. OH wait... That less than AE arms.

So, here's what you did get right:
- The cost between the other kits is almost $100.
- There is a reason Kyosho has them cheaper. I mentioned that in my first post. If you're paying a bunch of top drivers up to $100k+ a year, paying for a pit crew, paying for huge advertisements, etc... you're going to have to make up that money somehow. AE, TLR, Xray, etc... make up that money by upping the price of their cars. Kyosho does not put as much money into these programs as other brands do. Therefore, they don't have to make up for extra expenditures. Do you really think it costs anywhere near $200 to build these kits? If you are dumb enough to think that, then how is it possible to get an RTR for same price or less than a race kit?
- The chassis is a little stiff, but that is an easy fix that involve zero dollars.

Bill,
If the RB7 was so bad, why do people racing these still make it to the podium? I know, for some reason, people love to bash on Kyosho, but it really needs to stop! I'm really tired of hearing people brand bash. Not just with Kyosho, but other brands like Arrma and Traxxas.

At the end of the day. we are all grown men playing with toys. When I hear people talk about how their brand is better, it's like a little kid telling people that his daddy is bigger than their daddy. It's just stupid and immature. If one brand was better than another, then that would be the only brand you would ever see on a podium.

Metalsoft, =Arise=, JCG1 and 1 others like this.
Old 02-18-2021, 02:14 PM
Tech Regular

I haven't owned a Kyosho in over 20 years. I still have some brand loyalty, and good memories.

Just wondering why I don't see that many anymore. Even 12 years ago, I didn't see any. Glad to know they're still competitive.
Old 02-18-2021, 02:17 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 189 (99%+)

I don't run an RB7 personally. But I do own one that my 9 year old son runs. He hasn't managed to break anything on it in the 4 months we have had it. So I would say the car is pretty durable.
Old 02-18-2021, 02:54 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by purplegrape View Post
I haven't owned a Kyosho in over 20 years. I still have some brand loyalty, and good memories.

Just wondering why I don't see that many anymore. Even 12 years ago, I didn't see any. Glad to know they're still competitive.
You don't see a lot of them because they don't have a lot of support from local hobby shops. Hobby shops don't carry a lot of Kyosho stuff because they don't have the size or budget to carry more than a couple brands. For example, if you went to my LHS, you would swear AE was the only competitive car made. That's all they sell. Another shop is AE and TLR. another shop, that is 50 miles away, carries AE, TLR, and Kyosho. At their races, there's about a half dozen Kyosho's on the track and do just as well as any other brand. Not seeing may cars doesn't mean they are not competitive. Look at Schumacher and Yokomo. You don't see many of them on the track or have parts stocked at your LHS, but nobody would ever dare to say they are not competitive.

Ever since Kyosho swept the 1987 IFMAR race, with the newly released Ultima, AE fans started throwing rocks at Kyosho. None of them could believe that Kyosho could make a car that could out perform and AE. Little do these guys remember, before the Ultima, there was the Scorpion.

Have you ever been to an on-road race? If you went there, you would think that AE and TLR didn't have the skills to design on-road car. You don't see any on the track. AE and TLR can make an excellent road car, but choose not to put money into it and hire pro drivers.
Old 02-18-2021, 03:08 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by pink_sleeve View Post
I don't run an RB7 personally. But I do own one that my 9 year old son runs. He hasn't managed to break anything on it in the 4 months we have had it. So I would say the car is pretty durable.

My 12 year old son has had an RB7ss since last June. He bashes it more than he races it. He is running a Reedy S+ 17.5T that is timed at 45. it is not a slow buggy. He finally broke his part, which was a rear A-arm that came out of the box. It broke because he races in novice and there was a kid with a timed out motor that was smashing into everyone. He smashed into my kid's car just before a jump and caused my kid's car to launch off the jump and hit straight into a wall with that rear tire. I got on line and paid $11 for each pair of front and rear carbon arms. That is not considered expensive at all. Also, keep in mind, this is the RB7ss with the aluminum drive gear. the only parts that wore out are the plastic sliders where the drive bones go into the ball diff, which were $4 for 2 sets.

Well, I take that back. He is on his second shell. His first shell got pretty tore up and he cracked his rear wing.
Old 02-18-2021, 04:18 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 64 (100%+)

I don't know why I even bother. I will just point out several things: I said the design is more than 7 years old, with the primary change being the cross mounted battery. A good driver can win at the club level with basically anything. If it was my money, and I wasn't partial to a brand, I would go with Associated. I happen to like Xray, but the part prices are outrageous (they have gone up considerably in the last year,) and I wouldn't recommend them to someone on a budget (which I assume is the point of this thread.) By the way, I have a kyosho rb6 and rt6 that I have played with, and I stand by my assessment.
05PSD likes this.
Old 02-18-2021, 04:37 PM
Tech Elite

I don't know why I even bother. I will just point out several things: I said the design is more than 7 years old, with the primary change being the cross mounted battery. A good driver can win at the club level with basically anything. If it was my money, and I wasn't partial to a brand, I would go with Associated. I happen to like xray, but the part prices are outrageous (they have gone up considerably in the last year,) and I wouldn't recommend them to someone on a budget (which I assume is the point of this thread.) By the way, I have a kyosho rb6 and rt6 that I have played with, and I stand by my assessment.

Well, I apologized for coming at you so strong if you were not trying to attack the buggy. I do, however stand by my assessment. With you having the RB6, you then know that the RB7 platform is not 7 years old. The RB7 platform is different from the RB6.6. The chassis is shorter and there are a few other changes on it. Not to mention, it comes with gullwing arms. If you are referring to overall design, then you would have to say all buggies have old platforms because they all have been using that same layout for over 7 years. Even your Xray has been using their same layout since 2015. Only the chassis has really changed materials. As for the several things you pointed out, I have already replied to those and most people don't find them to be accurate assessments.

I have assembled and driven the most recent AE, TLR, and Kyosho 2wd buggy. I can honestly say that there is nothing that would make one buggy overall superior over the other. I can however, say that the Kyosho fit and finish as well as the plastic components to be better, but their build sheets really suck.

So, besides the items I listed in my pervious post, which is minuscule, what exactly makes the RB7 outdated compared to all the other buggies you would consider to be competitive? I'm not attacking you with this question. It is an honest question.
Old 02-18-2021, 05:19 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 94 (100%+)

The RB7 is entirely capable of being competitive, even at the top level. To really compare with the latest buggies, it needs to be updated with a modern transmission case and modern ballstuds/ballcups, but that's it. It's not fragile, it can generate as much rear traction as needed when setup properly.
=Arise= and OffRoadJunkie like this.
Old 02-18-2021, 05:39 PM
Tech Addict

Kyosho was bought by a bank in 2018. A race team isn't profitable so they stopped it (this is why Jared Tebo ended up at Tekno). Kinda sucks, but the cars are good and the quality is good. The kit race cars are made in Japan (rtrs in china). TLR and AE buggies come from Taiwan.

Yokomo is also cutting down on its team size (they still have one) so you will see less of them. Schumacher and Durango are basically not available anywhere.
Associated and TLR have the biggest US teams (I mean there based in the US).

billjacobs the RB6.6 I believe is the one with the laydown transmission (which is the last major change in 2wd buggies), so if you tried the RB6, its a little outdated now. All buggies are based on old platforms I mean the B6 was released 5 years ago.

There's nothing wrong with the RB7, it has the capability to be a very competitive car (Kyosho shocks are supposed to be the best in the industry), the only thing is there aren't any team drivers and you likely won't have as many setup sheets available.
=Arise= and OffRoadJunkie like this.

Last edited by rcbuggy88; 02-18-2021 at 08:45 PM. Reason: correction
Old 02-18-2021, 06:19 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Originally Posted by rcbuggy88 View Post
Kyosho was bought by a bank in 2018. A race team isn't profitable so they stopped it (this is why Jared Tebo ended up at Tekno). Kinda sucks, but the cars are good and the quality is good. The kit race cars are made in Japan (rtrs in china). TLR and AE buggies all come from China.
FYI, TLR and AE kits are manufactured in Taiwan. Their RTRs are made in China.
05PSD likes this.
Old 02-19-2021, 12:25 AM
Tech Regular

Seems like yokomo is the way to go !

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.