Wiki Posts
Search
Like Tree13Likes

sons first lipo racing buggy

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-2021, 05:55 PM
Tech Rookie

Default sons first lipo racing buggy

Bought my son an arma typhon v3 blx, an 11.1 v 5000ma 50c lipo and appropriate charger to get him started in 1/8 scale ebuggy outdoor racing. What’s you guys thoughts on this set up, things to look out for, recommendations, upgrades and racing performance. thanks everyone
Old 02-05-2021, 04:44 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Disclaimer - I am an Arrma Fan

Which version did you get, the plastic chassis BLX3s, or the metal chassis BLX6s? You did say you have a 11.1v battery, so I am guessing the 3s version?

The 3s car is a bashers car - not much adjustability. Shocks and tires will be about all you can do for tuning. Also, no center diff will not help you son getting around the track. But, it is a cheap investment, and the 3s cars are pretty tough. All plastic, so it is light enough to have plenty of power on 3s to keep up with the other guys running 4s. I do have a Granite, which is the same platform, and it is one of my favorite RC's in my garage. Sometimes I will take it to the track and drop buggy or SCT tires on it - it is loads of fun, and fast, but not racer consistent. For racing, it should last your son long enough for him to decided if he likes formal racing, and get him good enough at throttle control and cornering to help him really jump in when/if he can get a better racing platform.

If your son has the 6s Typhon, then he is much better off. The 6s cars are (Mostly) RTR versions of the older Team Durango cars, so they are fairly adjustable. It does lack some of the rear end Pill adjustment, but there is a lot on the car to play with. Very tough out of the box, almost unbreakable on 4s speeds. 3 diffs, and they are easy to get in and out of the car. But it is a bit heavy for a 1/8 racing buggy. Again, this won't matter until you son gets really good, and it may help him early on as the extra weight will give him a bit more traction, and less getting tossed around on the rough sections of the track. I have a Typhon 6s, and have raced it. The car is a ton of fun around the track, and can drive better than my skills allow...

With all that said, my old first gen Tekno SCT410 on 2s drives smoother and gives me better lap times vs my Arrma's. But that probably says more about my driving than my cars...
rabidsquirrel likes this.
Old 02-05-2021, 07:45 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 33 (97%+)

I'm starting to see more ARRMA's show up at the track in my area and they're holding up well with all the abuse I see them take, I believe they are great entry level racers for the sportsman class. Only parts I've seen them break so far are the wing, front spindles + blocks... with a handful of parts these are great cars to get started for club racing for a reasonable price.
Old 02-05-2021, 08:03 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

I'm not into 1/8 racing but its encouraging to see rtr buggies holding up in a racing situation. We need more of that with other manufacturers. Make it more inviting and affordable. Entry level, racing quality rtr and kits should be a priority for rc manufacturers. Not everyone interested in rc racing is going to spend the amount of money some people think it takes to be competitive.
kawasaki161 likes this.
Old 02-05-2021, 08:08 AM
Tech Regular

Raceable RTR will invigorate the racing scene and get more people deeper into RC

where the kits and installing of their own electronics will happen

wish tracks would offer lessons on building, maintenance, and purchasing choices
Rcdad42 and Silverbullet555 like this.
Old 02-05-2021, 08:25 AM
Suspended

Originally Posted by Funkydrummer1
I'm not into 1/8 racing but its encouraging to see rtr buggies holding up in a racing situation. We need more of that with other manufacturers. Make it more inviting and affordable. Entry level, racing quality rtr and kits should be a priority for rc manufacturers. Not everyone interested in rc racing is going to spend the amount of money some people think it takes to be competitive.
Yep. The only other company that comes to mind in regards to that is Kyosho, who are offering RTRs based on older generation racing models MP9 TKI4 V2 for nitro and MP9e Evo V2 for electric. Amain even did a good video series on taking a MP9 RTR and racing with it, being quite successful at their local races.
Sure 500 for a RTR still isn't cheap but MILES away from 600-700 for a kit.
Old 02-05-2021, 08:40 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 33 (97%+)

Originally Posted by purplegrape
wish tracks would offer lessons on building, maintenance, and purchasing choices
At Thornhill, they offer free race clinics by request, several of use more experienced guys will look over folks cars to try to identify any potential problems that might need to be addressed... and if cars aren't looking right during a race, we'll come over and make tuning suggestions to help folks get their gear in order.... we definitely know how important it is to make sure everyone is having fun... and driving a car that isn't properly setup just isn't going to be much fun, ha!
Old 02-05-2021, 08:41 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Originally Posted by kawasaki161
Yep. The only other company that comes to mind in regards to that is Kyosho, who are offering RTRs based on older generation racing models MP9 TKI4 V2 for nitro and MP9e Evo V2 for electric. Amain even did a good video series on taking a MP9 RTR and racing with it, being quite successful at their local races.
Sure 500 for a RTR still isn't cheap but MILES away from 600-700 for a kit.

Heck ya it's not a bad deal for it. I went to a track a couple months ago and most of the Kyosho guys were still driving their MP9e buggies. One of them had the fastest lap times. However, the guy with the MP10e was right behind him.

For upgrades on the The your son's car, I would up grade the electronics. From there, I wouldn't just maintain it until he gets better and steps into a more race oriented buggy. The electronics will switch over to the new buggy, so that's why it's not a bad idea to upgrade those now.
Rcdad42 likes this.
Old 02-05-2021, 12:00 PM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by OffRoadJunkie
Heck ya it's not a bad deal for it. I went to a track a couple months ago and most of the Kyosho guys were still driving their MP9e buggies. One of them had the fastest lap times. However, the guy with the MP10e was right behind him.

For upgrades on the The your son's car, I would up grade the electronics. From there, I wouldn't just maintain it until he gets better and steps into a more race oriented buggy. The electronics will switch over to the new buggy, so that's why it's not a bad idea to upgrade those now.
+1 on getting better electronics for the NEXT vehicle and just maintaining the current one instead of upgrading
Old 02-05-2021, 03:30 PM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

So why to people buy a Aarma Typhon or similar buggy to begin racing??

a> easy on the wallet?

b> a good beginner car for racing?

c> the box says it will go 60 MPH?

Not bashing the product, it is just the way it works.... you see buggy's racing and decide you want one. You go to the store or see magazine advertisement noting 60 MPH in big bold letters and it's an easy choice LOL. After they learn to drive and compete they enter the world of more money equals a better quality buggy and we keep spending LOL.

OffRoadJunkie likes this.
Old 02-05-2021, 05:15 PM
Tech Rookie

thanks for all of the valuable information from everyone. I appreciate it a lot
Old 02-05-2021, 05:33 PM
Tech Rookie

The buggy is 3s version. The battery I bought is an 11.1 5000ma 50c. Can the stock electronics(spektrum Blx100 esc) and motor(spektrum firma 3660 3200kv) handle the same battery except 100c without frying and If so would we see any performance gain? thanks

Last edited by Edwag37; 02-05-2021 at 05:45 PM.
Old 02-06-2021, 05:28 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Edwag37
The buggy is 3s version. The battery I bought is an 11.1 5000ma 50c. Can the stock electronics(spektrum Blx100 esc) and motor(spektrum firma 3660 3200kv) handle the same battery except 100c without frying and If so would we see any performance gain? thanks
Yes, the stock electronics will handle 100C fine. The C rating is more about NOT killing the Battery. Higher C batteries can take more amp load without damage or dropping voltage.

The motor draws the load, the ESC is the gateway, the battery supplies the load. A good 50C battery will be fine in a Typhon 3s, and only very experienced users will notice the very tiny difference in punch that the 100C would give. For sure the difference won't be enough for a starter racer to move up in lap times.

If you were jumping from a 20C to a 50C, then I would say most people would notice a difference in punch in your Typhon, and the 20C may cause problems with the car that a 50C would solve.

One other idea - If you have the idea of ever buying a 6s truck, get a second battery that is a twin to the one you have, and try to keep about the same number of cycles on them. If they are matched (same brand, same line, same age, same MAH Same C, similar cycle count) you can run them together as a 6s. A good 50C battery will be fine in the Typhon 3s and a Kraton 6s.
Old 02-06-2021, 09:09 AM
Tech Master

1/8 buggies are usually limited to 4s but you'll have to check with your track to make sure.
A good way to begin racing is to focus not on how fast you go or where you place at the end but how many laps you can complete without crashing. If clean laps are you objective then you'll end up being a better driver and will end up with faster lap times. Good luck!
Old 02-06-2021, 05:58 PM
Tech Rookie

thanks. You guys teach me something new everyday. The battery we currently run is a spektrum smart lipo. Bought it because it was suggested by tower hobbies for the typhon v3 blx. I’m just trying to make the most of the stock electronics before we swap any parts out. If a 100c has no advantage to the 50c then I’ll save the hard earned money and not get it. thanks

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.