Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road
17.5 and 13.5 advice >

17.5 and 13.5 advice

Like Tree8Likes
  • 3 Post By Funkydrummer1
  • 4 Post By waitwhat
  • 1 Post By Apexin

17.5 and 13.5 advice

Old 01-23-2021, 04:44 PM
  #1  
Tech Rookie
Thread Starter
 
USNavySquid's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2018
Location: Willamette Valley, Oregon, USA
Posts: 5
Default 17.5 and 13.5 advice

I run 17.5 stock 2wd buggy and 13.5 2wd stadium truck on carpet. I'm looking to buy some new motors and only finding the Reds VX3 and Fantom Icon V2 motors readily available.

Does anyone have experience with either of these or first hand seen them run by someone in race or practice? I know the fantom will be great but interested in the Reds. Just haven't seen anything about how they perform.
USNavySquid is offline  
Old 01-23-2021, 08:07 PM
  #2  
Tech Fanatic
iTrader: (2)
 
Alexv2024's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2017
Location: Ohio
Posts: 936
Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Default

I had the v1 of the Fantom Icon and they were great. The V2s look even better and I don't really need any motors but I'm tempted to try one.

I run tuned Reedy S+ motors and they're the best motors I've run. But you need the high torque rotor which is out of stock in most places. That with Ti screws and proper tuning means its super competitive with any of the newest motors.

But also with Fantom you get amazing customer support. Troy the owner has tuned my motors at events and various other support when I mailed in a motor once. The Reedy and Fantom motors are the best I've run and are the highest quality motors you can get. You can't go wrong with the Icon v2s thats for sure.

The reds motors I've heard decent things from but I've never driven one personally. Im sure its good and 90% of the other motors but I don't know how the bad the not fast motors are from them, if you know what I mean.
Alexv2024 is offline  
Old 01-24-2021, 05:10 AM
  #3  
Tech Regular
iTrader: (4)
 
Join Date: Apr 2018
Location: Mass.
Posts: 361
Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)
Default

Locally everyone is running the fantoms or revtechs
the r1 v21 is also up there but seems to be hit or miss sometimes

ive got 2 trinity 13.5s and a r1 17.5
ray4624 is offline  
Old 01-24-2021, 11:11 AM
  #4  
Tech Addict
iTrader: (16)
 
Bsthetech's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2019
Location: Earth
Posts: 590
Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)
Default

I’m running the Fantoms in 13.5, 17.5, and 21.5. Great, worry free, powerful motors. They also have the sensor inside to allow logging using Hobbywing esc’s. Great product at a great price.
Bsthetech is offline  
Old 01-24-2021, 11:14 AM
  #5  
Tech Fanatic
iTrader: (7)
 
Join Date: Jul 2019
Posts: 933
Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)
Default

Unless your a super fast local fast guy or pro, it doesn't matter. Most motors have more than enough power for indoor tracks. And most hobbiest racers don't have the talent to take advantage of the performance gains.
People will argue this, but its true. So just get what you think. Nobody is going to have the experience as you will personally because the quality consistency of motors will vary. When the S+ came out, I got a dud. Ive also had cheaper motors that wound up like nothing Ive ever experienced. Though "Which ones faster" might not be your inquiry, in the end, IMO, its about performance consistency rather than "I got the fastest motor"
Plus "fastest motor" doesn't necessarily equal lower lap times.
rcgod, SCRAFAN and Eddosi1978 like this.
Funkydrummer1 is offline  
Old 01-24-2021, 12:57 PM
  #6  
Tech Master
iTrader: (2)
 
Join Date: Dec 2018
Posts: 1,053
Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Default

Originally Posted by Funkydrummer1 View Post
Unless your a super fast local fast guy or pro, it doesn't matter. Most motors have more than enough power for indoor tracks. And most hobbiest racers don't have the talent to take advantage of the performance gains.
People will argue this, but its true. So just get what you think. Nobody is going to have the experience as you will personally because the quality consistency of motors will vary. When the S+ came out, I got a dud. Ive also had cheaper motors that wound up like nothing Ive ever experienced. Though "Which ones faster" might not be your inquiry, in the end, IMO, its about performance consistency rather than "I got the fastest motor"
Plus "fastest motor" doesn't necessarily equal lower lap times.
To add to this, the easiest thing for OP to do is to switch the 13.5 he currently has in his truck into his buggy. If he can run faster laps with the 13.5, a better 17.5 will likely yield an improvement in lap times. If the lap times are the same or worse, a new motor isn't needed to go faster.

Additionally, it is perfectly acceptable to want a new motor because you want a new motor. Framing every purchase as a "must have" to go faster is a quick way to ruin the hobby for yourself. You can't buy your way to the front (unless you are spending money on tires and practice).
rcgod, Davidka, Smokeyr67 and 1 others like this.
waitwhat is offline  
Old 01-25-2021, 05:16 AM
  #7  
Tech Adept
iTrader: (5)
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: North Carolina
Posts: 187
Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)
Default

Originally Posted by Alexv2024 View Post
I had the v1 of the Fantom Icon and they were great. The V2s look even better and I don't really need any motors but I'm tempted to try one.

I run tuned Reedy S+ motors and they're the best motors I've run. But you need the high torque rotor which is out of stock in most places. That with Ti screws and proper tuning means its super competitive with any of the newest motors.

But also with Fantom you get amazing customer support. Troy the owner has tuned my motors at events and various other support when I mailed in a motor once. The Reedy and Fantom motors are the best I've run and are the highest quality motors you can get. You can't go wrong with the Icon v2s thats for sure.

The reds motors I've heard decent things from but I've never driven one personally. Im sure its good and 90% of the other motors but I don't know how the bad the not fast motors are from them, if you know what I mean.
I just got one of these motors, what does titanium screws do besides make the motor lighter?
wallaj232 is offline  
Old 01-25-2021, 07:00 AM
  #8  
Tech Fanatic
iTrader: (7)
 
Join Date: Jul 2019
Posts: 933
Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)
Default

Originally Posted by waitwhat View Post
To add to this, the easiest thing for OP to do is to switch the 13.5 he currently has in his truck into his buggy. If he can run faster laps with the 13.5, a better 17.5 will likely yield an improvement in lap times. If the lap times are the same or worse, a new motor isn't needed to go faster.

Additionally, it is perfectly acceptable to want a new motor because you want a new motor. Framing every purchase as a "must have" to go faster is a quick way to ruin the hobby for yourself. You can't buy your way to the front (unless you are spending money on tires and practice).
well said.
Funkydrummer1 is offline  
Old 01-25-2021, 08:14 AM
  #9  
Tech Fanatic
iTrader: (2)
 
Alexv2024's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2017
Location: Ohio
Posts: 936
Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Default

Originally Posted by wallaj232 View Post
I just got one of these motors, what does titanium screws do besides make the motor lighter?
Steel screws interact with the magnetic field the motor generates, and alu/ti screws don't and increase the rpm the motor makes. Ceramic bearings reduce drag and increase the rpm as well

Those 2 things make a decent difference, and add in actual tuning (setting timing on some sort of dyno/checker for what that motor likes) and you get a decent difference vs an untouched motor.

I finished 5th at CRCRC in 13.5 truck with a 2 year old S+ thats in bad condition (I glued the outer shell back to the stator last month). I did have Ti screws and ceramic bearings but it wasn't fine tuned or have a hi tq rotor. Driving over everything is key. But its nice to go through your motor and clean/replace the bearings and keep it running in good shape and upgrades are a good occasion for that.
Alexv2024 is offline  
Old 01-25-2021, 12:10 PM
  #10  
Tech Adept
iTrader: (5)
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: North Carolina
Posts: 187
Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)
Default

Originally Posted by Alexv2024 View Post
Steel screws interact with the magnetic field the motor generates, and alu/ti screws don't and increase the rpm the motor makes. Ceramic bearings reduce drag and increase the rpm as well

Those 2 things make a decent difference, and add in actual tuning (setting timing on some sort of dyno/checker for what that motor likes) and you get a decent difference vs an untouched motor.

I finished 5th at CRCRC in 13.5 truck with a 2 year old S+ thats in bad condition (I glued the outer shell back to the stator last month). I did have Ti screws and ceramic bearings but it wasn't fine tuned or have a hi tq rotor. Driving over everything is key. But its nice to go through your motor and clean/replace the bearings and keep it running in good shape and upgrades are a good occasion for that.
OH wow!! 🤯 Amazing. I had no idea.
wallaj232 is offline  
Old 01-27-2021, 10:47 AM
  #11  
Tech Adept
 
Join Date: Dec 2015
Location: Connecticut
Posts: 125
Default

I've run several generations of Fantom motors in my cars and they have all been great. I'm currently running their v1 ICON Torque 17.5 in my 2WD buggy and their v1 ICON Torque 13.5 in my 4WD buggy. I did recently order a Certified Trinity XFactor 17.5 to try in my buggy and see how it compares to my Fantom but haven't run it yet.
Phugazi is offline  
Old 01-27-2021, 05:10 PM
  #12  
Tech Rookie
 
Apexin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: Orange County California
Posts: 3
Default

If your open to it, might try the Trinity Revtech 17.5
ray4624 likes this.
Apexin is offline  
Old 01-30-2021, 08:41 PM
  #13  
Tech Regular
iTrader: (1)
 
Nuno Gancho's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Posts: 420
Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default

Hello is stock 17.5 blink with handout motor which is the best speedo, hobbywing or the new orca BP1001
Nuno Gancho is offline  
Old 02-11-2021, 09:57 AM
  #14  
Tech Elite
iTrader: (1)
 
OffRoadJunkie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2020
Location: California
Posts: 3,078
Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default

Originally Posted by Nuno Gancho View Post
Hello is stock 17.5 blink with handout motor which is the best speedo, hobbywing or the new orca BP1001

with a 17.5, you won't notice the difference if there was one. However, regardless of which Hobbywing, I would go with the Hobbywing Justock. It's much cheaper and does the job quite well.
OffRoadJunkie is offline  
Old 02-11-2021, 09:57 AM
  #15  
Tech Fanatic
iTrader: (26)
 
GerryH's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 839
Trader Rating: 26 (100%+)
Default

I think brushless motors are sort of at the end of their ability to continue to innovate and improve. Meaning pretty much any ~$100 motor from any of the main suppliers will perform similarly to any other brand. Especially considering some suppliers pick out the better ones and sell them at a higher price. And also taking into account manufacturing variances, you're going to get 1-2% difference.

Granted motor brands will differ on torque/power bands, some peaking at lower vs higher RPM and some making higher RPM at the cost of torque.

I have a couple of Fantom motors, 21.5t and 25.5t and they work well. Good tech support. Appreciated their suggestion on timing based on vehicle and track before I got my Minipro dyno. They were pretty close to what I ended up using after lots of dynos and track tests.

What I'm saying is, if you need a motor now and the Reds and Fantom are the only ones in stock and they are roughly the same price, then it doesn't really matter for 99% of the people that race RC.
GerryH is offline  

Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.