Like Tree6Likes
  • 4 Post By purplegrape
  • 1 Post By Phillip F
  • 1 Post By purplegrape

Discharging between heats

Old 01-07-2021, 01:01 PM
Tech Rookie

Default Discharging between heats

Hi guys! I'm new in 1/10 off road and i would be interested in hearing your opinions as far as discharging between heats is concerned. I've seen some drivers in our local track that discharge their batteries after each run and then charge them again. What is the point of this? Do you gain more power after your battery is discharged and charged or does it protect the life of the battery?

thanks
Old 01-07-2021, 01:44 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 36 (100%+)
Default Charging

Its to get the most out of your lipo. They are changing and discharging at a high amp rate. The life of the lipo doesn't last as long. Its better to charge at the recommended rate and practice first and get consistent with you car. In my opinion
Old 01-07-2021, 03:28 PM
Tech Regular

+1

Unless you're always in the hunt for the podium consistently, focus on getting more track time being smooth and not crashing/marshaling, when you can go 5 mins straight going 80% of your fast lap pace without needing help... go to 85%, 90%, 95%... when you crash or lose your line... dial it back. Never be on the ragged edge. Get a rhythm, get a pace of your own, study other people's lines, angle of attacking the jump, how they land, etc.

Expensive parts and small equipment trick/boosts are a tiny part of the equation compared to having driving skill. A good driver with the kit setup will likely beat most drivers with their setup and charging and saucing tricks.

Focus on getting around the track without needing marshaled, consistency, and getting around other drivers when they make a mistake. Better use of your time and mental energy.

Instead of messing with battery charging at high amps killing your battery faster, save your money for more track fees, track days, tires, and maintenance.
AHR43, Cirrus95, Pistol123 and 1 others like this.
Old 01-07-2021, 03:56 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

On a high grip dirt off-road track with 13-14 second laps, high current cycling was worth about .5 seconds in a 17.5 2wd buggy. If you can't drive every lap within .5 seconds of your best lap and wreck once a race or less it isn't worth the wear on your batteries to do this for club racing.

This is my opinion as someone who has pushed many lipos beyond their limits (by high current cycling while club racing and seeing how it directly impacted my lap times). Mainly because I always run the lightest pack I can, I can say the small capacity packs don't like it. The larger capacity packs tolerate high current cycling better, but ultimately it makes them lose capacity more quickly.

The ability to charge quickly is nice, but now I just charge at 2C and top my packs off between races. I always run the car to cut off in practice so I always have a full fresh charge before racing starts. This keeps my small mah light weight batteries alive longest.
Old 01-07-2021, 04:31 PM
Tech Initiate

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

You do not have to discharge Lipo's like NIMH's during a race day. It does nothing and don't let anyone tell you different. Lipo chemistry is completely different than NIMH. Discharge Lipo's at the end of a day to a storage voltage and you are done.
Old 01-07-2021, 05:00 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 41 (100%+)

Don''t do it ... if you want to go faster... practice ... OR you want to go super fast... go to the mod class.
Eric Tomczyk likes this.
Old 01-08-2021, 09:11 AM
Tech Rookie

Fair enough! thanks
Old 01-08-2021, 10:44 AM
Tech Regular

Just my opinion... mod is more fun. Bear in mind I'm not on the podium most of the time, and don't make the A main at well attended events. (I wouldn't in any class, spec or mod)

Less "specialty parts & techniques" and if you're running 6.5 or 7.5, you don't ever worry about getting out motored by the other guys.

That said, only go mod if you actually go faster in lap times with a mod motor vs your current setup. Run a few practice days before making a decision on which to stick with, the mod driving style takes a bit to get used to (you don't HAVE to take a wider turn in order to clear that double) but IMHO hard to go back after getting used to it.

Mod is definitely more about driving and setup, less about expensive parts and bend every edge possible in a spec class. Bending the rules every which way in a spec class defeats the purpose and spirit of a spec class, and is a skill in it's own right.

I know some tracks have a rule in novice that you can only win a certain number of times, then you're booted from novice. Same could be applied to spec, though I suspect some people LIKE having the $$$ advantage and don't mind buying batteries more frequently, buying multiple motors to find the fastest one, and lightening/new parts for their buggy.

edit: my 17.5 time is only about 1.5 sec off of my mod time for fastest lap

17.5 will clear the doubles on my local track (no triples), overall it's about 8% less fun than mod for me personally. Different driving styles, 17.5 smooth flow; mod is more shooting brake
Eric Tomczyk likes this.

Last edited by purplegrape; 01-13-2021 at 06:39 AM.