R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road

Old 12-15-2002, 02:29 PM   #1
Tech Fanatic

Default RC10GT RTR Plus or XXX-NT Sport RTR

I want to get a gas car for racing and I'm considering the GT RTR Plus or the XXX-NT sport RTR. I want the RTR because then the the car comes with starting and break-in instructions. I read that the GT isn't as durable as the NT. Has anyone had any problems with the GT and durability? Im more interested in durability, ease of maintenance, and set up/engine break in instructions then which one handles better. How are the set-up and engine break in instructions for the two cars? The GT looks like it might be much easier to maintane (spelling? ) because theirs much less stuff on the chassis to get in the way, but thats just the way it looks, I don't know if its true. I like having easy servo access, the GT looks like the servo access is much easier than the NT. But then again the NT has a better radio. So I guess the main thing is which truck comes with better starting instructions, if I have to wrench a little longer to fix a steering problem, oh well . Thanks!
racerdx6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2002, 06:23 AM   #2
Tech Elite

I think for racing you've got your priorities wrong.

You should buy a kit - they you'll understand how the car goes together, and build it to a standard you're happy with straight away.

Break in instructions are widely available on the web, and may well come with the engine you buy anyway.
sosidge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2002, 02:00 PM   #3
Tech Fanatic

Can you recomend an engine with good break-in instructions? I want a reliable engine thats good for a beginner. Would a .12 or a .15 be a better choice? Thanks!
Old 12-16-2002, 08:55 PM   #4
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)

If you are wanting to race, a .12 is the only choice. Personaly I would reccomend the OS .12 CVR for off road racing. I have owned and raced quite a few nitro motors and the CVR is my favorite. Incredibly easy to tune and not overpowered. It has plenty of low end punch but not enough you can't control it. And the thing about the durability of the two is opposite. I personnaly race Losi and love them but form what I have seen, a RC10 is more durable. I prefer the losi suspension however and if you don't run into the barriers all the time, the losi doesn't break anyway. It is a little harder to change the steering servo but I have never had a problem with it. You can do it in 10 minutes. I would also agree you should go with a kit as well. Makes it so much easier to fix when you built it from the ground up.
slodsm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2002, 01:11 AM   #5
Tech Fanatic

How are the starting/break-in instructions with the CVR. I've heard that O.S. engines are very reliable, but breaking in the engine is the "scariest" part of getting the car, for me. I have lots of experiance with electric R/C cars, I don't think fixing the car will be to difficult, but I do agree with you guys that getting a kit will probaly be easier because I would "know" my car better. I think I want to go with the GT, and if I do run into a problem with broken suspension arms or hubs or anything, I'll just buy the RPM nylon pieces, their probaly much stronger . Also, the guys at the track always are pretty helpful, they could help me with tuning and other problems that I might encounter. Thanks for all the help!
Old 12-17-2002, 09:10 AM   #6
Tech Regular

Send a message via AIM to omalley
Default RC10T Conversion

anyone know of who makes the conversion to go from electric to gas for the RC10T?
omalley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2002, 05:02 PM   #7
Tech Regular

Racer, the CVR has good instructions for break in but it will be pretty tough just becasue the piston sleeve is pretty tight in there. It took me more like 10 tanks to get my CVR's broken in where they would start on the first bump and stay running at a consistent temp but it was worth it to me.

Omally, I do not know if there is a conversion for the RC10 from gas to electric but it would probably be cheaper just to buy a gas truck.
Old 12-17-2002, 10:55 PM   #8
Tech Fanatic

Does the CVR come in pull starter versions and bump start versions? I don't want to have to buy a starter box, it's to heavy and I don't need that little extra bit of exceleration, I doubt that would make a difference for me at my level . How would I know if the engine was broken in? Would the starting instructions be able to tell me when it was broken in?
Has anyone heard anything about the Orion engines, or has anyone bought an Orion engine? Is the CVR hard to break in, or was it just annoying because of how long it took (you must of gone through a lot of glow plugs too ). But it might turn out to be kinda fun getting into something new, wait a minute. THIS IS GONNA BE HELLA FUN!! !! Thanks for your help, I'm still not sure on the engine I would want to get for it. But I'm sure on the GT now.
Old 12-17-2002, 11:07 PM   #9
Tech Regular

Yes it comes in pullstart, it is called the CVRX, the problem with pullstart is not the tiny little loss off acceleration. It is when your one way bearing in the pullstart housing gets crudded up and slips, then you have to tear it down, clean it out, and then putt it back together. Orion makes some wicked motor, too fast for an off road track unless it is a wide open one with a really experianced driver. As far as glow plugs, I use OS #8's and I went through three this season in two gallons including break in. They don't eat them at all. What I mean by a pain to break in is that is the only time any of my OS motors have been a pain in the butt. They are hard to start, harder to keep running, and just generally irritate you. I have had this with 2 .12's, 1 .15, and a couple of .21 RG's, all OS motors but once they are broken in, they start like a champ, never die, hot restarts are no problem, and last for ever and rarely need the needles touched without a drastic change in temp.
Old 12-26-2002, 10:00 PM   #10
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

I couldnt agree more about the o.s. Its a little tight while breaking in but the little guy has awesome power! And now its a killer deal at Tower. $93 for short shaft non-pull. Best motor for the buck!
rcdougie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2002, 10:58 PM   #11
Tech Initiate

I logged onto Tower's web site to check out the O.S. engines. They actually have two engines that will work in the RC 10GT. They have the .12 CV (S) and the .15 CV, both for just $89.99. I know O.S. makes very good engines, and this is a very good price. I would like to ask something of the experts in here though. I was looking at the stats on these engines. The .12 produces .56 bhp, while the .15 produces .68 bhp. I read somewhere that the Thunder Tiger .15 engine that comes with the RC 10GT Plus RTR kit produces more than 1.0 bhp. Is this true? I would've thought the O.S. engines would be more powerful than the Thunder Tiger engine.

Last edited by grampi; 12-30-2002 at 11:02 PM.
grampi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2003, 03:50 AM   #12
Tech Regular

Grampi,
Someone told me the thunder tiger .15 puts out .9 hp, which is very good. But, if you have a starter box go with the .12 cvr. Its rated at 1hp and is a killer deal at tower for $91 and some change. This is what I use in mine and it hauls the mail! I will post the tower link for you below.

http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXUU27&P=7
Old 01-06-2003, 07:56 AM   #13
Tech Initiate

Did you have the TT engine to begin with? If so, how does the performance of the two engines compare?
grampi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2003, 02:42 PM   #14
Tech Regular

No i didn't have the thunder tiger motor to start with. I bought the team built non-pull version so i could add my own choice of motor. However, there are 4 or 5 at my local track and they do scoot but in my opinion the os .12 cvr has more power and easier to tune. Not to mention o.s.'s renowned quality.
Old 01-08-2003, 06:39 PM   #15
Tech Regular

Send a message via ICQ to MaverickRacing

If you are concered about having too much power then buy just the regular OS CVX. Pullstarts are more of a pain in the butt than getting a starter box.

If you want a nice used XXXNT with extras, hopups, and radio, all the stuff you need, email me [email protected] and we can work it out.
MaverickRacing is offline   Reply With Quote