Wiki Posts
Search

Best. 12 engine for 1/10th Gas Truck

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-2006, 02:29 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)
Default Best. 12 engine for 1/10th Gas Truck

We are reviving 1/10 gas truck at our local track this summer!
which .12 roar legal motor do you consider to be the best? Rear or side exhaust, slide or rotary carb?

Keep price in mind, so best motor for the buck. Because I know i can get a great motor if I plop down 300 bucks, but I also like to find out what is the most economical choice that is reliable and preforms great on the track.
Old 03-27-2006, 02:35 PM
Tech Adept

OS CVR WITH A ROTARY, APPROX $120.00 2 YEAR WARRANTY AND IT WILL BE DECENT ON MOST TRACKS, YOU MAY WANT SOMETHING FOR THE BIGGER TRACKS WITH SUPER LONG STRAIGHTAWAY.
Old 03-27-2006, 04:19 PM
Tech Elite

I heard the CVR IS ok. I have a 12 TR and I was told that the flow dynamics of a rear exhaust as opposed to a side exhaust is better and provides a bit more power!
Old 03-27-2006, 04:35 PM
Tech Adept

I HAD THE TR MOTOR, GOOD MOTOR MOST MOTORS OUT THERE HAVE A TON OF POWER AND GETTING THAT POWER TO THE GROUND IS HARD. I BELIEVE IN THE ASPECT OF HAVING A LITTLE LESS POWER MAKES IT EASIER TO DRIVE. WHEN I HAD THE TR I HAD TO TURN DOWN THE POWER. COULD NOT PUT IT DOWN. MOST OFF-ROAD TRACKS FOR GAS ARE ROUGH AND 1/10TH SCALE TRUCK HAS ALOT OF FINESE WITH IT. I AM VERY HAPPY WITH PERFORMANCE OF THE CVR. ONE THING TO REMEMBER IS GAS QUAL AND MAINS ARE LONGER TIME WISE. YOU HAVE MORE POWER THAN YOU NEED WHICH MAY LEAD TO SLOWER LAPS OR A BROKEN TRUCK. I SEE GAS TRUCK AND 4WHEEL DRIVE ELECTRIC BUGGY AS YOU HAVE TO HAVE WAY TOO MUCH POWER WHICH LEADS TO PEOPLE GETTING DISCOURAGED AND QUITING, IF THEY WOULD SLOW DOWN A LITTLE THEY WILL GO FARTHER AND FASTER
Old 03-27-2006, 04:42 PM
Tech Elite

My position is pretty much the same. if it has too much power, I don't mind turning it down a bit, because that means your running cooler when your not using the engines full potential. That translates into loger engine life.

Anybody know anything on the picco .12 which I believe is the same as the Omega x12. any info on either motor?
Old 03-27-2006, 05:03 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 29 (97%+)

Pick up a fully modded o.s. cv-r w/ a rotary carb. It will come equipped with the best carb in the market. The motor mods amazingly well. A good mod will put out around 1.3-1.4 hp and give you around 15-20 minutes of run time. For a price tag of around $200 its unbeatable. If you don't have the extra $100 for a good mod from a company such as eb mods then the normal cv-r will be a very solid choice. As far as pipes are concerned I would go with the adam drake edition pipe that comes with the ad2. It is cheap and has a very very smooth power band. Unless you run on a big track then odds are you will never use the full power band of your motor. The cv-r is also an engine which you can tune once and it will run like a champ as long as the temp doesn't change 20 deg. The biggest thing that leads to the discouragement of 1/10 is the diffs and slippers. Make sure someone w/ a good head on their shoulders can help to educate the locals on how to properly set theirs up and be of assistance in the pits. When you have a properly set up 1/10 scale they are so much fun to drive. I would also try and run the track wet so that tires last longer.
Old 03-27-2006, 06:57 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)

The CV-R is a great choice, puts out plenty of power for most tracks. I have a RB C12 in my AD2 and it kicks ass. I can pull the front wheels up at will. Another really good motor is the Novarossi CX12 R2 - this is the second generation of the MT12 that Mugen made, which was quite possibly the best motor at the time.

I wouldn't look at any other motors but these. Don't be tempted by the OS TZ, way to much for offroad.
Old 03-28-2006, 06:45 AM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by xlgraphicspro
My position is pretty much the same. if it has too much power, I don't mind turning it down a bit, because that means your running cooler when your not using the engines full potential. That translates into loger engine life.

Anybody know anything on the picco .12 which I believe is the same as the Omega x12. any info on either motor?
I'm always surprised this motor isn't mentioned more often. I find it to be one of the best engines out there, yet not many people run it. xlgraphicspro, I've been running this engine for the past 3 race seasons and it has been perfect for me during that time. I have three of them, and all three have always run very reliably and have a ton of torque. They aren't the fastest on the top end, but it really doesn't matter since many tracks don't need the best of the best top end speed. All you really need is power in the corners and power to clear jumps. It is very inexpensive and should last you awhile. I usually get 12-14 minutes per tank. I don't ever see the Omega x12 version anymore, but Ofna still carries this engine (same exact engine). Go to Nitrohouse.com. They have them there for 120$.
Old 03-28-2006, 12:12 PM
Tech Elite

Sounds good. I knew the .12 tr was a good motor, I'm glad I bought it. I should be breaking it in tomarrow or this weekend. I also got a x12 omega engine off ebay for 72 dollars brand new, so It should be an ok backup motor!