Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road
What else can I expect to replace on a used Buggy? >

What else can I expect to replace on a used Buggy?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Like Tree15Likes

What else can I expect to replace on a used Buggy?

Search this Thread

Old 11-20-2020, 08:12 AM
Tech Rookie

Hinge pins!! Check the front and rear bulk heads. I purchased a used EB410. Couldn’t figure out why the front arms kept popping off. Turns out front bulkhead was shattered. Replaced both front and rear and new hinge pins. Also check the status of your bearings. One was seized up and raising motor temps like crazy.
Old 01-07-2021, 10:58 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 19 (100%+)

I would just stick to 12.9 grade screws for the most part. Tony’s 12.9 is good enough.
Yes Titanium G5 is about half the weight without sacrificing strength, yes almost a full statement and if I read it as that I may accept only that.

The technicals of titanium are the basis of which property is its strength as per density of the part.
So the part can be smaller (thinner) than a alloy steel 12.9 yet yield the same strength in the volume. So a screw can not intentionally be made smaller so to speak to fit the volume intended for fitment to yield the maximum strength to force applied in the substrate.

What Am I trying to say.. the only way to really take advantage of a titanium screw and its properties as a rod or rounded object is to drop its weight by ventilating (center drilled) the center of the screw. Using shorter screws will remove the material from the volume yes however then the torsion, leverage, vibration on the screw is greatly increased fold for every mm shaved.

Not saying that titanium doesn’t have it's place in my opinion just not to the extreme.

So yeah imo engineer-ically a titanium fastener is almost useless and over priced for what they are and can do in the intended volume.