Search
Like Tree7Likes

Need Advice on New Buggy- EB410.2 or Cat L1 Evo

Search this Thread

Old 10-08-2020, 07:38 AM
Tech Rookie

Default Need Advice on New Buggy- EB410.2 or Cat L1 Evo

Hi Everyone.

Looking for some advice. Have always been into RC, but never really had means (when I was a kid) to really get into it. When Covid hit, and I got stuck at home with kids, figured I have time on my hands and with a curious 6 year old boy (as well as having some money to play with) figured it was time to get back into things.

So in the past 8 months, I've built (and broke and rebuilt) several Tamiya models (Hornet, Grasshopper, Egress, Durga, Supershot). Loving every minute of it.

I want to step it up now, and get into some higher end, more contemporary models. I've done tons of research, and so far I've landed on either the Cat L1 Evo or the EB410.2...I'll mainly be running it at the park, on the road, etc (i'm in Toronto and there is not much in terms of tracks up here). For me, the build is almost as much fun as driving it, so I don't mind a complicated build. Durability is important as parts are hard to find in Canada (at least they are for Tamiya) and sourcing online from the US can get expensive.

Anyone have any advice for me, or other options I should consider....I'm leaning towards the Cat L1 because it is a beauty, and if my Durga is any indication, belt driven models are so much more smooth and responsive.

Old 10-08-2020, 09:29 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Originally Posted by aztl1977
Hi Everyone.

Looking for some advice. Have always been into RC, but never really had means (when I was a kid) to really get into it. When Covid hit, and I got stuck at home with kids, figured I have time on my hands and with a curious 6 year old boy (as well as having some money to play with) figured it was time to get back into things.

So in the past 8 months, I've built (and broke and rebuilt) several Tamiya models (Hornet, Grasshopper, Egress, Durga, Supershot). Loving every minute of it.

I want to step it up now, and get into some higher end, more contemporary models. I've done tons of research, and so far I've landed on either the Cat L1 Evo or the EB410.2...I'll mainly be running it at the park, on the road, etc (i'm in Toronto and there is not much in terms of tracks up here). For me, the build is almost as much fun as driving it, so I don't mind a complicated build. Durability is important as parts are hard to find in Canada (at least they are for Tamiya) and sourcing online from the US can get expensive.

Anyone have any advice for me, or other options I should consider....I'm leaning towards the Cat L1 because it is a beauty, and if my Durga is any indication, belt driven models are so much more smooth and responsive.

The bets drive is smooth, but they need to be serviced often. With todays motors, the bets drive systems don't hold up as well as they use to. That is why all the companies are going to shaft drive. The shaft drives are still pretty smooth though. So, if durability is what you are looking for, I would go with the EB410.2. It is a pretty durable buggy. Will you be driving these on a track or using them for bashing in lots and fields? I ask because you said there are many tracks in Toronto. What type of surface is the track?
Old 10-08-2020, 09:40 AM
Tech Elite

parts locally and what is run and on the podium at your planned on running at tracks..
Old 10-08-2020, 09:41 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Between those two, I would also recommend the EB410.2.
Old 10-08-2020, 09:43 AM
Tech Fanatic

EB410.2

Schumachers are great for the time they are running. Usually not much
Old 10-08-2020, 10:25 AM
Tech Apprentice

Hands down the L1 👌
I might be very biased running one, but besides looking great on the bench and different from everything else, the build was real fun (felt more "fun/special" to build than the ae and yokomo I built before, kinda like building a ferrari vs building a volvo) and man it runs smooooth.

Originally Posted by OffRoadJunkie
The bets drive is smooth, but they need to be serviced often. With todays motors, the bets drive systems don't hold up as well as they use to.
Can't say the belts need that much maintenance, think I've changed maybe 1 belt/season with a 7,5t in my 2wd. And the L1 evo belts should last very well being 5mm wide, even when running 5,5t motors
SEAHAWKS3 likes this.
Old 10-08-2020, 11:06 AM
Tech Regular

What track surface are you going to run at is my first question. Schumacher can be competitive on the right surface. I have the EB410.2 and I really enjoy it. I just run it in indoor clay.
Old 10-08-2020, 11:37 AM
Tech Addict

If this is for fun go with the L1. I think the whole experience will be more enjoyable seeing as their buggy is a modern version of the trf503. It might be easier to setup the tekno but you can put those Schumacher on the shelf after your done they look so badass.
http://site.petitrc.com/setup/tamiya...03_Dave_Build/
RazorRC likes this.

Last edited by trf211; 10-08-2020 at 11:53 AM.
Old 10-09-2020, 05:31 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 33 (97%+)

I can't speak for the L1 but I used to race a Schumacher K2 many years ago and it would snap the threads off the shock shafts like candy, arms were weak and the belts would snap every couple of months with a 13.5T motor on medium grip turf. I then upgraded to the TEKNO EB410 and it was phenomenally more durable, though instead of replacing belts I would go through out drives on the center rear shafts every 4-6 months, still cheaper than belt wear on the K2, I would occasionally snap bulk heads, pop rear drive shafts, bend arm pins and snapped a chassis. I would eventually switch over to PR Racing 401R and this vehicle would be the least expensive for me to maintain of the 3 that I owned, more info here:
Old 10-09-2020, 10:58 AM
Tech Addict

A lot changed since the k2, this L1 Evo is a whole new buggy. Redesigned and beefed everything up.
billdelong and Norse like this.
Old 10-09-2020, 11:05 AM
Tech Addict

To me:
eb410.2 = Most durable 4x4 buggy. As it shares 95% or so parts with the et410.2, and can even do a et410.2/SCT, makes a nice set of vehicles to race. Very competitive and easy to get parts for.

Schumacher? Have not seen one in years. Be the cool kid, with a toy almost no one else has? Might be fine.

I enjoy all the trash talk and races with the AE/TLR/Yok/Xray. All great and competitive with my eb410.2

Maybe Schumacher is more of thing, where you are.
Old 10-09-2020, 11:46 AM
Tech Adept

The following links may be helpful.

Schumacher CAT New L1 EVO! | Awesome 4WD Competition Buggy! (15:56)

Schumacher CAT L1 Evo Full Review (23:50)

4wd buggy shootout! TLR 22X-4, Schumacher CAT L1 Evo, HB Racing D418, Team Associated B74 (2020)
thecman26 and RazorRC like this.

Last edited by Typpo; 10-09-2020 at 02:16 PM. Reason: Changed font size.
Old 10-09-2020, 12:22 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

Hey. Great choices. Heres my opinion..Im a huge fan of Teknos eb. The .2 is such a great buggy.
I dont think it has corner speed of its competitors. Straight line acceleration is 2nd to none imo.Jumps, lands and is very easy to work on...
Its definitely the most durable although the tlr x is showing signs of the same level durability. But to your question of the cat vs eb, go with the eb. Teknos supported all-over. Nobody stocks Schumacher parts. Unless you want something different than the rest of the field, by all means. But it also means stocking up and bringing all your spares with you.
Watch Razor RCs vid on this. On point.
RazorRC likes this.
Old 10-10-2020, 12:15 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

I haven't owned an EB410.2, but I did own an EB410. If you want something crazy and wacky, then sure, get the Schumacher. It's been pretty durable, haven't really broken anything in the 10 months I've owned it, but I didn't drive it for about 6 months.
Old 10-10-2020, 10:19 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

Yeah I like to be different from the rest. With a field full of 74s and Xs, you'll still see a couple EBs. I think the design is cool, it definitely handles very different than the rest. And the layout lends itself to very easy maintenance work. If it suits your style of driving or if you can adjust to it, the EB will give you great reliability. Gotta finish a race to win a race.
It rely comes down to parts support. Every manufacturer makes a great buggy. They wouldn't be in business if they didn't.
Xray, Schumacher, Yokomo, TLR, AE, Sworkz, Tekno, PR Racing, HB...whether good or bad, we have many manufacturers to choose from and I like that.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.