Search
Like Tree8Likes

Which 1/10 4wd buggy or truggy?

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-2020, 06:05 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 79 (100%+)
Default Which 1/10 4wd buggy or truggy?

So I'm trying to decide between the 1/10 4wd buggy or truggy.
Pros and cons of each or just your opinion on them.
What would be the best starter kit?
I've raced SCT for a while and I tried 1/8 e buggy.
Yesterday was the first race in over a year for me. My bro talked me into going. I think he just wanted a pit buddy and someone to buy food. LOL!!! Losi SCTE 3.0. I ran 3rd all day.
I think I may need a new platform to light the fire/spark again.
I hope I'm not losing my desire to race.

Thank you
Old 09-14-2020, 08:13 PM
Tech Champion

4wd buggy for clay, carpet, or AstroTurf.

10 truggy will be extinct as quickly as it was born. If ebuggy is popular where you're at, do that instead of either of these.
Old 09-14-2020, 08:38 PM
Tech Regular

Location: northern Indiana southern Michigan all depends on the day.

ive ran all there. im defently 4x4 sct born and bread. onf allof them i thing 1/10 buggy the most senitive fallowed by ebuggy, 1/10 truggy and last 4x4 sct.
i run the clase that has the best turn out with conptation in your skill bast.

as a side note i've been very fond of the 1/10 scale truggy with some sct tires it runs and handles like my first sct,and how i love driving it (may you rest on the shelf,lol).
Old 09-14-2020, 09:28 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 43 (100%+)

1/8 buggy.... super fun
Old 09-15-2020, 06:28 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 33 (97%+)

Originally Posted by Zerodefect
4wd buggy for clay, carpet, or AstroTurf.

10 truggy will be extinct as quickly as it was born. If ebuggy is popular where you're at, do that instead of either of these.
As much as it pains me to admit it, I have to agree with this statement... which is crazy because my 1/10 Truggy is an absolute blast to drive. I just don't understand why it hasn't picked up in popularity. Anyway, I've been running mine mixed in with the 1/8 truggy guys and it handles quite well with those guys, very seldom do I experience any breaks on it too!I also race 13.5T on turf and absolutely love this wheeler too:There has been a drastic shift at the club in my area where the masses have jumped into 1/8 eBuggy so I'm building a new kit to join them, however I don't plan to get rid of my beloved 1/10 Truggy anytime soon, if folks want to start the class back up, I'll be the first to join them!
Old 09-15-2020, 06:41 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 65 (100%+)

It really depends on whether you are talking about indoor or outdoor racing. If indoor, 1/10 buggy is more popular. In my area, 1/10 truggy got hot then died, while buggy has remained popular. If outdoor, 1/8 buggy, not even close. 1/8 costs the same as 1/10, is much more durable, is much more powerful, doesn't need many (if any) hopups, and with the exception of more expensive batteries, is cheaper to run. IMO, 1/10 truggy are too big for small to medium indoor tracks. They are similar in length, but considerably wider than 1/10 buggy, which makes the track more narrow when racing.
Old 09-15-2020, 07:27 AM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by billjacobs
...1/8 costs the same as 1/10, is much more durable, is much more powerful, doesn't need many (if any) hopups, and with the exception of more expensive batteries, is cheaper to run..
I don't agree with this statement, one of the many reasons why I took a break from 1/8 racing was because it was far more expensive to maintain. Tire wear alone is what makes 1/8 more expensive by a long shot, plus there is a fundamental design flaw with the beads on 1/8 wheels which make them very susceptible to de-bonding at the rim which compounds the many headaches I've had with running 1/8. My running costs to maintain 1/8 has always been more expensive than 1/10, though I'm a fairly clean driver, but there are times where I've busted $100+ in parts on my 1/8 from a single bad wreck, where the same parts to replace on my 1/10 rigs are roughly half the price.

The local track in my area hosts both 1/10 and 1/8 programs at the same facility, I predict that the popularity in 1/8 will be short lived, and the pendulum will shift back to 1/10 which was more popular a year ago, when folks start to realize how much more expensive 1/8 racing is to properly maintain.

Last edited by billdelong; 09-15-2020 at 08:22 PM.
Old 09-15-2020, 07:56 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

Whats this? another new class? Awesome I cant wait to see them all for sale on Ebay in a year or two. :/

Whats wrong with just running the classes that are already provided and popular? Are you not winning? Too many heats? Too much competition? Not enough choices?

Do you really need another class that is just a "little more fun" to drive? Its hurting all of RC. I just want you to know that before you make this decision. Sorry to soap box in here... but its way past getting out of hand. It has RUINED on road and now you guys are all starting to do it in off road. On road racing has a group of folks that NEED to start a class every two months.....Well they must have finally killed all of their racing in their area and have now decided to move to killing off road by starting a new class each month.

How do folks not see the storm coming? Face palm.
Zerodefect likes this.
Old 09-15-2020, 08:02 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 65 (100%+)

Tire wear is frequently about power, as is drivetrain wear. 1/10 stock classes (17.5, 13.5) have minimal wear, whereas mod has significantly more. Since 1/8 is always mod, lighting up the tires, and wrecks cost money. You can easily tune the torque or power setting on a 1/8 esc to minimize wear, while still having enough power to easily clear jumps. I raced 1/8 for a short period, and had very little wear.
dtr likes this.
Old 09-15-2020, 08:22 AM
Tech Champion

I only need to bring one set of tires to a 1/8th race, per track. My 1/8th car is cheaper to run. Far more durable, much smaller tire inventory, much smaller tuning part inventory. Motors run COOL.

Tire wear is greater in 1/8th for sure. But my 10 tires are usually obsolete in a couple race days, anyways. No savings.

In 1/10th I needed an entire case of tires. Likely close to $1000. Every week, a different tire was hot, and every week I didn't have it. Way too tire sensitive. Carpet and AstroTurf have cured that. Might be the savior of 1/10th RC. I don't think that I'll run 1/10th outdoors or on dirt ever again. Unless I'm at a three day 1/8th scale event, and they run a couple 10 classes.
Old 09-15-2020, 09:18 AM
dtr
Tech Master

Originally Posted by Zerodefect
I only need to bring one set of tires to a 1/8th race, per track. My 1/8th car is cheaper to run. Far more durable, much smaller tire inventory, much smaller tuning part inventory. Motors run COOL.
Mostly agree on that, but I usually bring at least two patterns and two compounds to account for temperature and moisture variations.

In 1/10th I needed an entire case of tires. Likely close to $1000. Every week, a different tire was hot, and every week I didn't have it. Way too tire sensitive. Carpet and AstroTurf have cured that. Might be the savior of 1/10th RC.
What type of carpet do you run? What we have in Europe, and EOS carpet especially is a huge tyre eater. Even with quite conservative esc settings I could barely get 20 minutes out of a set of recommended/mandatory tyres. After that the pins round out and lose all grip, costing a tenth or two each turn that quickly adds up.
Old 09-15-2020, 09:21 AM
Tech Champion

I run my 1/10 Buggy on Turf in a 13.5 stock class, only run 1 tire package that never changes, not even between summer/winter, I run the same compound year round. I average about 4-6 race days per set of tires where winter months tend to last longer than summer months.

I run my 1/10 Truggy with a 3650-6100KV 4 pole mod motor on a 1/8 dirt track, which over the past year they finally started watering the track before each round which has significantly helped reduce tire wear. When the track is ran dry(also open practice) I will go through a full set of tires once per race day, but now that they are running wet, I get about 3-5 race days with similar wear life based on ambient temps.

I also run Mod 4WD SCT with similar tire life as the 1/10 Truggy

Many guys are telling me that they are getting 2-3 race days on a set of tires for their 1/8 buggy in the same conditions. Some will get 12+ race days if they stretch out past the peak performance of the tire, but their lap times will definitely taper off, some will run their newer tires in the mains and run older tires in the quals to minimize tire expenses. I use this strategy on turf as well to pinch my tire budget there.

As far as concern for "diluting classes", the RD at our track has recently used the quals to divide skill with no bumps, everyone gets double mains no matter if you're in the A Main or the D Main, and awards go to the top 3 in each main, so turnout depends on how the group is divided and who might get a podium pic... and this strategy is certainly working very well as roughly 75% of the entries are in 1/8 eBuggy right now in my area.

Only reason I'm buying into 1/8 eBuggy is because that's where the majority is racing right now, definitely not doing it to save money, that's for sure!

Last edited by billdelong; 09-15-2020 at 09:52 AM.
Old 09-15-2020, 10:10 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Originally Posted by westendorfy
Whats this? another new class? Awesome I cant wait to see them all for sale on Ebay in a year or two. :/

Whats wrong with just running the classes that are already provided and popular? Are you not winning? Too many heats? Too much competition? Not enough choices?

Do you really need another class that is just a "little more fun" to drive? Its hurting all of RC. I just want you to know that before you make this decision. Sorry to soap box in here... but its way past getting out of hand. It has RUINED on road and now you guys are all starting to do it in off road. On road racing has a group of folks that NEED to start a class every two months.....Well they must have finally killed all of their racing in their area and have now decided to move to killing off road by starting a new class each month.

How do folks not see the storm coming? Face palm.

Hello Westen.
You sound a little frustrated. I can see how some people like a change. It is hard to keep racing the same classes week-after-week. Some of us live too far from a track, work too much, or have too many other responsibilities so we are not able to practice like the rest of the racers. Therefore, we feel stagnant because we never get higher than 5th place. I don't have that issue, but I see many others feel that way. Also, many of the us racers don't really have a good friend that races with us, so we feel like your alone out there. On top of all that, a lot of us only have one track to race at so that gets boring also. To help remedy this feeling, we search for something else to re-spark our interests in this hobby. We search for something cooler and more exciting. If you notice, the more tracks there are, the more racers there are. Most will think of it as being the other way around, but look how excited we get when there is another track to race on. Like the old saying goes, "If you build it, they will come."

I'm not sure about your area, but on-road racing out here is dying because there are no hobby shops can afford to repave a field to race on. Off-road is much cheaper. The cars are cheaper and dirt for the tracks are cheaper. I don't quite understand why the on-road cars are so expensive. They don't have the same engineering as an off-road car.

As for 1/8 scale being more expensive, I think what is meant by that statement is, it cost a lot more money to get started in 1/8 scale racing. A 1/8 scale would cost around $1200 to get on a track while a 1/10 will cost you about $800, both being 4wd buggies. This is also a reason why I don't think truggy will last long.

At the end of the day, this is a hobby that's based off of racing toys. With the financial stress of today, it is getting hard for the average Joe to get into racing when they can only race once or twice a month. Look how big bashing is getting. I know a lot of racers that hung up their race cars and got a basher. Therefore they can drive it more often and their local friends can join them.

I would like to see them bring back the box stock class. That was a race were you could compete with a Tamiya Frog and and win. Some called it the Tamiya class, but all brands could race in it. Mostly it was box stock RTRs. Therefore, the newcomers won't feel so intimidated to race. I know a couple guys who are too intimidated to come out and race because they know they don't nearly have the skills to compete and be competitive. They are part of that group that can only race maybe once or twice a month and they don't have the finances.

Rcdad42 and RCDaddy2105 like this.
Old 09-15-2020, 10:17 AM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by OffRoadJunkie
I would like to see them bring back the box stock class.
The Mini-T class has taken over as the premier "box stock" class at our club on the turf track, turnout for 17.5 2WD and 13.5 4WD is so low that those classes are combined to make a heat where 12+ guys are running the Mini-T, go figure?
Old 09-15-2020, 10:52 AM
Tech Addict

I would race what the local track races. For me: et410.2 is a great truggy. Blast to drive, super durable. Then I would purchase a 2nd one, and add a Protech chassis setup, to make it a SCT. Share 95% of the parts between the 2. I also add a eb410.2 buggy, that shares about 95% parts. But not like you need them. All 3 are tough. No one will play chicken with me. Well, SCT, the Tekno SCT410.3 people would, as it is also as heavy as a bus.
roulette likes this.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.