Like Tree2Likes
  • 2 Post By billdelong

Sway bars on clay

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-2020, 03:24 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)
Default Sway bars on clay

has anyone experimented with swaybars on high bite clay? At the last club race here it was really sticky.
In 2wd stock buggy we were all set up pretty close to carpet anyways. Lots of guys traction rolling on the 180. I think next time our clay track is up in grip like it was the other night, Im going to see what some thin swaybars do.
Old 09-08-2020, 07:20 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 33 (97%+)

It's been about 3 years since I've ran on clay and back then they were just starting to offer sway bars, in fact many guys were taking the sway bar kits for the SCT to put them on the buggy, ha!

According to HUDY, the #1 priority to change in order to get rid of traction rolling is to adjust the sway bar:

Old 09-08-2020, 04:29 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

You can try it but its probably not going to be as good as you think.

My sponsored buddy tried it a few months ago at our similar clay track and just didn't work on a 2wd. But the weird part is everyone on stadium trucks runs a front bar, but with those tires they have a ton more traction.

I'm up to v1 blue front springs when traction is high so try that if you aren't there. I've heard of some guys running V2 blues as well.

Is it a fast big 180 or a small tight 180?
Old 09-08-2020, 06:14 PM
Tech Addict

On our high grip track a few guys tried it but the ticket was to use the lightest bar available since it really messes with 2wd's bump handling ability. They made custom bars from piano wire, AE's thinnest option is too stiff from what they found.
Old 09-08-2020, 07:00 PM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by Alexv2024
You can try it but its probably not going to be as good as you think.

My sponsored buddy tried it a few months ago at our similar clay track and just didn't work on a 2wd. But the weird part is everyone on stadium trucks runs a front bar, but with those tires they have a ton more traction.

I'm up to v1 blue front springs when traction is high so try that if you aren't there. I've heard of some guys running V2 blues as well.

Is it a fast big 180 or a small tight 180?
Its tight. Theres one coming off the straight into a double into another 180. Pretty tricky.
Old 09-08-2020, 09:36 PM
Tech Fanatic

Yeah I think Im going to try and go with a stiffer yet spring rate. I have it pretty low now. My boys the racer. Im just the mechanic..lol. he doesn't like his buggy over 19 mm.
Old 09-09-2020, 08:48 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

What tires are you running? One trick to hep with traction rolling that we use when running slicks on carpet is to put CA glue on the sidewalls. The easiest way to apply it is with a glossy sheet of paper (our local pizza menu works great for this), dump some glue on and rotate the sidewall through the glue. The idea is that it stiffens the sidewall for a bit less folding of the tire when turning hard.
Old 09-09-2020, 09:18 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)

I use them on and off. The track has to be pretty smooth. Jumps and stuff are fine just the track itself had be pretty smooth. I always run a front and rear on both sct and Stadium, even in medium grip clay. They really change how fast you can go through corners and give you consistency. Buggies don't REALLY need this at all. If I need more steering on a track I'll put the thinnest rear one on. If the track is super smooth and there's a lot of high speed 90s or sweepers I'll put a front one on. Almost never both at the same time.
Old 09-09-2020, 01:08 PM
Tech Fanatic

Yeah I'm not going to mess with ca on the sidewalls. Although, it IS an effective tuning method. Im going to try different spring rates and see. Also, maybe a softer than normal spring with swaybars. Hhhmmm... this layout has jumps that you don't need any lift. The biggest jump is a double that you can make easily with a 21.5 with no run up.
Old 09-09-2020, 02:29 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 19 (100%+)

Too much gripzz then got to slow that roll..
Old 09-09-2020, 06:58 PM
Tech Fanatic

Yeah but a couple guys are faster through the corners so its not speed. I could see if everyone is rolling at the same speed but thats not the case. I think I can find a bit more corner speed.
Old 09-10-2020, 04:31 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Go through the chart billdelong posted in the traction roll section, number 1 things to deal with:

1. Ride height (lower)
1. Anti Roll Bar (harder front/softer rear)
1. Tires (harder compound/less traction compound/ glued sidewalls )

Lucky these are all easy adjustments. Change one thing at a time and see how it goes!
Old 09-10-2020, 04:56 PM
Tech Fanatic

Right. Im into tuning. SonI go over everything and then some. I try not to over do it and let the car come to me.