Wiki Posts
Search
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By ta_man

Kraton 6s supporting rear of motor.

Search this Thread

Old 09-02-2020, 02:11 AM
Tech Initiate

Default Kraton 6s supporting rear of motor.

Hi.
I'm looking for a way to to support the rear of the the kraton 6s blx motor. I've heard that if you don't support the back of the motor it can damage the motor slamming onto the chassis when bashing, or pull the motor screws out. Do you lads know of any proper upgrades that can support the motor? I was thinking of using a large blob of silicone sealant at the back so when it sets it's like a motor to chassis shock absorber. Do you think this is a worthwhile upgrade or am I my just been over the top? It's my first RC and I've only had it 2 weeks and I'm a fulll noob, so I need to learn the ropes as it were.
Thanks for any advice!
Old 09-02-2020, 04:56 AM
Tech Elite

silicon sealant is flexible so support will be nullified ..id use some nylon the cut it to fit. Make it wide enough so screws to hold it in place wont hit motor can
Old 09-02-2020, 11:47 AM
Tech Champion

The chassis will flex a million times or more, than the motor will hit the chassis.

People have tried this in ebuggy, and have caused the issue that they were trying to prevent. The motor is held only at it's front for a reason. Every bit of chassis flex gets sent right down the motors can if you bolt it down on both ends. If you find a solid mount that supports both ends of the motor and doesn't flex between those two point, now you've stiffened your chassis oddly. Unless it's a floating mount.

Don't bother. Just make sure that your motor screws are the proper length.
Old 09-02-2020, 02:46 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 168 (100%+)

I got tired of the wear I was seeing from the motor hitting the chassis in my Losi 8 Truggy so I machined a piece of Kydex (plastic) to exactly the right size to fit between the chassis and the motor. It was fine, except then I got wear on the motor from the dirt that got embedded in the Kydex. LOL.

Next time I changed motors, I shoe-gooed the piece of Kydex to the motor so just the kydex would wear and I could remove the kydex from the motor at some time in the future.

I know: anal.
the rc guy likes this.
Old 09-02-2020, 03:29 PM
Tech Initiate

Thank you all for your advice
Old 09-02-2020, 06:56 PM
Tech Initiate

Originally Posted by ta_man
I got tired of the wear I was seeing from the motor hitting the chassis in my Losi 8 Truggy so I machined a piece of Kydex (plastic) to exactly the right size to fit between the chassis and the motor. It was fine, except then I got wear on the motor from the dirt that got embedded in the Kydex. LOL.

Next time I changed motors, I shoe-gooed the piece of Kydex to the motor so just the kydex would wear and I could remove the kydex from the motor at some time in the future.

I know: anal.
Thanks.i will research this kydex to support the back end of the motor, something that acts as a little suspension instead of all the stress on the bell end. Do you think it's prudent to get a motor fan too?
Old 09-03-2020, 06:33 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 168 (100%+)

Originally Posted by wilburtwomble
Thanks.i will research this kydex to support the back end of the motor, something that acts as a little suspension instead of all the stress on the bell end. Do you think it's prudent to get a motor fan too?
Kydex is not a soft cushy plastic. It is pretty rigid. The reason I used Kydex is because I had a bunch from other projects.I would say its hardness is on a par with the material Losi used to make the A-Arms on the Losi 8ight series before the 8X. It is easy to work with files, Dremels, or in my case, a milling machine which I used to get the exact thickness to support the back end of the motor.
Old 09-03-2020, 06:14 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

I use motor mounts like this bolted to the back of the motor and bolted to the chassis. Motor stays put this way.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/HoBao-OP-00...5badb356643396