Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road
Best 1/8 Buggy (Opinions) >

Best 1/8 Buggy (Opinions)

Like Tree35Likes

Best 1/8 Buggy (Opinions)

Old 08-20-2020, 10:37 AM
Tech Apprentice

Default Best 1/8 Buggy (Opinions)

Another best buggy style thread. I know that these are always filled with people's personal opinions which is exactly what I am looking for.

I am currently looking at a lot of companies such as Kyosho, AE, TLR, Tekno, HB Racing. I've been reading threads for a couple of weeks, but haven't seen anything posted more recently about what people are running and what they like/dislike. I did do a search, but if I missed it, my apologies. Parts support in my area is basically no existent, so I am not concerned about that. I am looking to start racing a little more seriously next year (as serious as you can get racing toy cars). Any and all advice, thoughts are helpful.

Curious what 1/8 buggy you have owned and raced with. What did you like about it? What didn't you like about it? How easy or difficult was it to dial in a good setup?
Old 08-20-2020, 11:01 AM
Tech Champion

HB, Xray,for sure. Then Kyo, JQ, S Works.

Mugen, TLR, AE, are going to be a bit harder to master if you're new. HB is the easiest.

I still run Xray. Parts are interchangeable since 2012ish, so I have tons of spares from Olde worthless cars. When everyone was hating the short Mugen rear arms, I had an old set of used Xb9 long arms and hinge pin braces, ready to go. Xrays are standard sized pinion bearings as well. It's weird that the other companies didn't see the pinion bearing mess that the 808 and Serpents had.

I buy the E version, since I already have all of the nitro parts. Like Mugen, the E and Nitro rollers are identical. I've got enough spares to set my cars up as 3 nitro's, or 3 electrics if needed. But usually it's one Nitro, two E's. Despite high parts costs, the car is likely one of the cheapest to run. Many consumable parts, o ings, clutch bells, and such, can be sourced from Mugen or AE.

The Xray really isn't easy to setup. The kit setup is worthless. Starting near the Tessman setup is better.

Last edited by Zerodefect; 08-20-2020 at 11:17 AM.
Old 08-20-2020, 11:10 AM
Tech Apprentice

Originally Posted by Zerodefect View Post
HB, Xray,for sure. Then Kyo, JQ, S Works.

Mugen, Lois, AE, are going to be a bit harder to master if you're new. HB is the easiest.
Thanks for that reply. Could you elaborate a little more on why HB is the easiest? This is my first buggy, but been racing SCT all summer and simply love the competition and comradery RC provides.
Old 08-20-2020, 11:34 AM
Tech Champion

It just plain works, with only a few tuning changes. I won't be jumping ship, but if I was, that's the car.
rwhammond likes this.
Old 08-20-2020, 04:19 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 43 (100%+)

get the brand that your local hobby shop carries.
rcgod, Smaug, AsphaltFlyer and 1 others like this.
Old 08-20-2020, 04:57 PM
Tech Apprentice

Originally Posted by Phillip F View Post
get the brand that your local hobby shop carries.
My post addressed this. No LHS.
Smokeyr67 and LiL CeeZ like this.
Old 08-20-2020, 05:16 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

I had a Mugen MBX8 Eco that I couldnít get to work for me, and Iíve ran Mugen for the last 20 years. Currently building a Tekno EB48 2.0 to replace it and so far itís the nicest kit I have ever built.
rwhammond likes this.
Old 08-20-2020, 06:42 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 43 (100%+)

Originally Posted by rwhammond View Post
My post addressed this. No LHS.
TEKNO EB48 2.0 . Drives easy out of the box ... stock setup
rwhammond likes this.
Old 08-21-2020, 08:28 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 33 (97%+)

In my area, the vast majority of drivers have switched to the TEKNO EB48 2.0

I took a break from 1/8 over the past 18 months, but the 1/10 program is slipping as the majority of folks are jumping over to 1/8 from 1/10 and I may have to get a 1/8 myself where I'm currently having to run my 1/10 mixed with the 1/8 cars which puts me at a huge disadvantage.

I've seen just about every brand of car show up with the following brands I've ordered in popularity based on my personal observation locally:

1) TEKNO
2) XRAY
3) MUGEN
4) AE
5) SWORKz
6) AGAMA
7) SOAR
8) TLR
9) HB

TEKNO rises to the top for many reasons, they offer more tuning options than most other brands, phenomenal team driver support, extremely durable and quick access diffs for all 3 make it one of the fastest/easiest cars to rebuild. They are the only brand who offers a 50% lifetime warranty on parts!

First thing I do when comparing cars is I go through the online manual and I try to see how easy it will be to get into the diffs.

From a performance perspective, the latest release from TEKNO has proved to be VERY competitive as many middle of the pack drivers are now in the mix after switching to TEKNO. Also look at the #1 driver today is a former Kyosho driver who jumped over to TEKNO:
https://www.top25rc.com/nitro-buggy

I'm in the process of slowly buying all my 1/8 electronics and plan to buy a 1/8 kit within the next month or so, I haven't made my final decision, but I am leaning heavily toward TEKNO right now.
LiL CeeZ likes this.

Last edited by billdelong; 08-21-2020 at 08:43 AM.
Old 08-21-2020, 09:00 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

Canít wait to get this on the track. Just waiting on a few more things and the rain to stop. Might have to build an Ark next 🙄
Old 08-21-2020, 12:08 PM
Tech Fanatic

Another nod for the EB48 2.0. I'm coming from racing an 8ight 4.0 for the last 2 years and have a good amount of experience driving the wider tub style cars like the Mugen.

I had been going back and forth for a few months on getting either the 2.0 or 8ight Xe. I liked the way both cars performed on track but Teknos have always looked more agile and hooked up. Even with the .4 last season. Well about a month ago a buddy let me drive his stock EB48 2.0 and I was shocked. It literally did everything better than my well-setup 8ight 4.0. So I ordered one. Built it last monday and have since put 17 packs through it.

Some standout features I notice and appreciate -
- bushings for the arm hinge pins means no reaming and no sticky suspension
- the spider gear shafts are keyed so they only fit in the diff cup straight up and down. No fanagling to get the gears lined up.
- single fat lipo strap
- smart chassis layout with the driveline in line and the electronics conveiniently placed. (why doesn't everyone do this?)
- The center, rear and lipo chassis braces are designed to be removed for chassis flex tuning.

Out of the box the car is actually setup to be pretty user friendly and stable but with a few tweaks turns into a demon. Car probably has a 2 foot turning radius on pavement.

Old 08-21-2020, 05:21 PM
Tech Initiate

since your used to ordering parts online personally I'd go to your favorite online shop, look at which ones they offer then do a vague search for parts.... basically put in (mp10e) parts... as you look at the listings pay attention to the availability... if they have a lot more parts (especially ones that are more prone to breakage) in stock for 1 specific buggy then you probably should consider that one.. not a guarantee but if you break something and that part is on backorder everywhere you could be stuck for a month or 2 not being able to race.....other than that.... pick the one that excites you...
Old 08-22-2020, 02:09 PM
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

tekno 48 2.0 is sweet i also like the ae buggy
Old 08-24-2020, 09:14 AM
Tech Apprentice

thanks so much everyone. really appreciate all the feedback and input. so my going through manuals, reading reviews, setup sheets and your input I have it narrowed down to the Tekno and Team Associated. trying to solve which buggy will best suit my driving style and i wont know until I have a chance to drive them, which probably wont happen till i make a purchase.
Old 08-24-2020, 10:23 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

I have both the associated and the tekno. I'm still undecided on which I will keep. But leaning toward the tekno. The ae car is good but has a couple things that irritate me. My lower front arms keep warping/bending where the hinge pins goes through the back of the arm. I was hoping with the 3.2 thus would change but it still happened after one practice day. The only other thing that is kinda annoying is swimming the diffs, mine take quite a few shims not a huge deal just annonying. On the tekno none of my diffs needing swimming at all. They both drive really good but would say from my experience the tekno is a little easier to handle in the rear end. So far the only thing I don't really like on the tekno is the way the rear arms inserts are captured with a setscrew. Just my 2 cents.
Furadi and rwhammond like this.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2023 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.