Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road
Best 1/8 Buggy (Opinions) >

Best 1/8 Buggy (Opinions)

Like Tree47Likes

Best 1/8 Buggy (Opinions)

Old 08-11-2023, 03:47 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Any reason you're afraid to spell "Xray" out? It is well known that their prices (for both kits and parts) are quite high...
petersen114 likes this.
Old 08-11-2023, 04:31 AM
Tech Rookie

Originally Posted by DirkW
Any reason you're afraid to spell "Xray" out? It is well known that their prices (for both kits and parts) are quite high...
With the full names used moderator has to approve my posting.
Old 08-12-2023, 06:11 AM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by Mario62
With the full names used moderator has to approve my posting.
Huh. I don't remember that being so way back when. Must be a new thing.
Old 08-12-2023, 10:32 AM
Tech Rookie

It probably has something to do with the fact that I'm a new member.
Old 09-02-2023, 09:43 AM
Tech Champion

For the X..y-23 and the T.R 2.0 I have compiled exactly the same spare parts list of fragile and high wear parts.

2x lower front arms
2x rear arms
2x gear boxes (bulkhead)
4x drive shafts (x..y only sells these in separate parts)
4x outdrives

Result,

Total X..y-23 429,50
Total T.R 2.0 199,92
That's not a fair comparison. Xray gearboxes are indestructible, and the arms only get replaced if/when they warp. Diveshafts get their pins swapped and are good as new.

Get a list of parts that Losi guys use to refurbish their cars, combined with spares and tuning parts. Repeat with the Xray guys. You may find Xray costing about the same.

My time with HB was not any cheaper in the long run.

I generally also keep an obsolete car on hand, for practice and messy tracks. Xray parts commonality makes that easier.
hunterdawg likes this.
Old 09-04-2023, 02:54 PM
Tech Rookie

I really love the Kraton exb for bashing. My first 1/8th after my 1/10th's but its a great platform once you get rear diff dialed in.
Old 09-05-2023, 02:07 PM
Tech Champion

What about the standard maintenance / spare parts costs between the different brands?

Outdrives
Drive shafts
Spur gears
F/R arms
Bulkheads
Shock towers
Diff drives
Bevel drive pinion/gear
Spur gears, bulkheads, shock towers, and bevel pinion n ring gears, should last the life of the car.

Drive shafts almost. with regular pin changes, the Cvd is the limiting factor. And if its kept greased and sealed, it can last a long time.

If they didn't, Id drop that brand quickly.
Old 09-09-2023, 02:20 PM
Tech Apprentice

Anyone have thoughts on the soon to be released HB Racing E8 World Spec? https://hbracing.com/cars/off-road/e...out-bodyshell/. I haven't run 1/8 before, but I'm seriously looking at it since it's the biggest class at my club. At my club it's a pretty even mix of AE, Tekno and Mugen ebuggies. There are a few HB, but only on the nitro side of things.

Last edited by sawzall; 09-09-2023 at 02:39 PM.
Old 09-09-2023, 02:30 PM
Tech Champion

I'm getting one to test. Or the E truggy.

But it better have the AL hub carriers and caster block, like in the HB pics.

Old 09-09-2023, 04:22 PM
Tech Apprentice

Originally Posted by Zerodefect
I'm getting one to test. Or the E truggy.

But it better have the AL hub carriers and caster block, like in the HB pics.
The description online says it has front and rear aluminum hubs. That's actually something I was looking at too. At the very least, the nitro and electric kits are priced the same, so I'm assuming the aluminum bits on nitro kit will carryover to the electric.
Old 09-10-2023, 07:30 AM
Tech Champion

Hopefully the HB E8 World's is more adjustable than my last HB car years ago. Which was a bit of a one trick pony for tighter tracks.

Not getting rid of my Xray. Just want to try both sides of the fence. (And have a backup car)
Old 09-16-2023, 09:09 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 46 (100%+)
Talking

deleted

Last edited by jabroni racing; 09-16-2023 at 09:48 AM.
Old 09-22-2023, 11:06 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Originally Posted by sawzall
The description online says it has front and rear aluminum hubs. That's actually something I was looking at too. At the very least, the nitro and electric kits are priced the same, so I'm assuming the aluminum bits on nitro kit will carryover to the electric.
Just got notification that my E8 Worlds Spec kit shipped today. From everything that I have been told, the front uprights and hubs are interchangeable between both the buggy and truggy, nitro and electric.

I just looked at the HB Racing website. The caster blocks for the truggies are listed as working with the arms that are included in the world spec cars, so that supports what I have been told. That will be nice as you can carry a range of caster blocks that will fit all the vehicles.
Old 11-07-2023, 02:32 AM
Tech Rookie

I hate astroturf and it's all they care about for 1/10 off-road in France so I'm thinking about buying a competition 1/8 buggy to run on dirt. It's been 30 years I don't own a buggy, but always had a 1/10 rally car around.

What's the best value-for-the-money considering performance and long-term cost of running 1/8 electric buggy these days?

Thanks
Old 11-07-2023, 11:02 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

That depends on your driving style. If you're talking about a general kit, my opinion is the Kyosho MP10e TKI2. It's the least expensive and is extremely competitive. However, if it doesn't match your driving style, then it's not worth purchasing. Same deal goes if you are asking about the most expensive kit.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.