Best 1/8 Buggy (Opinions) >

Best 1/8 Buggy (Opinions)

Like Tree35Likes

Best 1/8 Buggy (Opinions)

Old 08-24-2020, 12:11 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by rwhammond View Post
Another best buggy style thread. I know that these are always filled with people's personal opinions which is exactly what I am looking for.

I am currently looking at a lot of companies such as Kyosho, AE, TLR, Tekno, HB Racing. I've been reading threads for a couple of weeks, but haven't seen anything posted more recently about what people are running and what they like/dislike. I did do a search, but if I missed it, my apologies. Parts support in my area is basically no existent, so I am not concerned about that. I am looking to start racing a little more seriously next year (as serious as you can get racing toy cars). Any and all advice, thoughts are helpful.

Curious what 1/8 buggy you have owned and raced with. What did you like about it? What didn't you like about it? How easy or difficult was it to dial in a good setup?

Hello RWHammond.
You can ask anyone out there what buggy is the best. Everyone out there will tell you that their buggy is the best, but cannot give you a true reason on why theirs is better. The reason why is simple... they can't. Nobody has tuned and driven all the cars out there. Therefore, they cannot give you an honest compairison. Most people buy their cars based off popularity and accessibility. Their decision was not made because it is "Hands-down" the best car out there. For example, and this is the best example you will can ever get, if Tekno was the best car out there, wouldn't every Tekno on the field cross the finish line before any other brand? If there are 5 Teknos, 2 Associateds, and 3 Kyoshos, wouldn't all five 5 Teknos finish the race faster than Associated and Kyosho? That doesn't happen. Does the guys with the Teknos win every race they enter? Nope. I bet they get beat quite often by someone with another brand. The truth is, the car doesn't win the races, the driver does. Kyosho just won the 2020 International Buggy Challenge last week. That was done with the Kyosho MP10e. If Tekno was better, why didn't they win? In fact, Tekno wasn't even in the top 10. However I am not beating on Tekno. They are just as good as the next. I'm only using them to make a point. So you know, the race ended with Kyosho, Mugen, Sworks, Mugen, Mugen, Kyosho, Mugen, Sworks, Associated, and Sworks as the top 10.

Here's the bottom line. Buy what you feel most comfortable with. All those brands are the top brands. I would only recommend the one with the newest release. Therefore, you will have a car with the newest updates. Me, I personally like Kyosho. I chose Kyosho because they make a great car and I like to be different than everyone else.

Try these questions to help you pick you car:

What does your friends/fellow racers have: You might like to be able to get setup tips from them.
Do you want factory support: This question is something that a lot of people use a big reason to pick a brand. When you actually think about it, how many of the racers, out there, actually use factory support? 99% of the racers out here are not Factory Drivers. Therefore, 99% of us are not going to get the support they do and the factory is not going to come out and set our car up for us. Everyone brand out here has setup sheets for their racers. However, those setup sheets were not set for your track. They are all setup for the bigger race tracks that they competed on and they do not have the same driving skills as we do. What does that mean? That means, if we really want to set our car up to perform best for us and on our track, we need to learn how each adjustment will affect our cars. A few hours on YouTube will teach us that.
Do you want to go pro: If you want to go pro, you don't need to drive the car who you would like to sponsor you. You just need to win races, be a person that everyone like, be available, and have a lot of extra cash. It doesn't matter what brand you are racing for. Most of the top Factory racers didn't start with the brand they are currently racing with.
Cost: This is a very important question. You don't need to go out and buy the most expensive car out there. Look at it this way, at this is going to make some heads spin, look at it as buying a designer brand jeans over a pair of Levis. Are those other jeans really work $200 more than those $40 jeans? Probably not. You only paying for the cost of advertising. Those top drivers out there cost a lot of money. How do you think the company pays for them? Take Losi and Kyosho, for example. Nobody will argue against them being a car that wins many races. However, their cars a much cheaper than the rest. Most of it is due to them not having as many of top racers out there. The trick is, if your brand is consistently standing at the top of the podium, people will flock to buy your cars. Like the fashion industry, if you come out with a new car every year, people will buy them to keep up with the fashion, even if the changes are minimal.

Now that I probably ticked off a few people, I will end this reply with this: I have been racing on-and-off for over 20 years. In that 20 years, there was no brand being the best. It was always the driver who won the race... not the car.

Good luck.

Last edited by OffRoadJunkie; 08-26-2020 at 09:56 AM.
Old 08-24-2020, 09:38 PM
Tech Apprentice

Originally Posted by Keither1884 View Post
I have both the associated and the tekno. I'm still undecided on which I will keep. But leaning toward the tekno. The ae car is good but has a couple things that irritate me. My lower front arms keep warping/bending where the hinge pins goes through the back of the arm. I was hoping with the 3.2 thus would change but it still happened after one practice day. The only other thing that is kinda annoying is swimming the diffs, mine take quite a few shims not a huge deal just annonying. On the tekno none of my diffs needing swimming at all. They both drive really good but would say from my experience the tekno is a little easier to handle in the rear end. So far the only thing I don't really like on the tekno is the way the rear arms inserts are captured with a setscrew. Just my 2 cents.
thanks so much. this is really what i wanted things you liked and didnt. i think im going to pull the trigger on the Tekno
billdelong likes this.
Old 08-24-2020, 10:39 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 43 (100%+)

thanks so much. this is really what i wanted things you liked and didnt. i think im going to pull the trigger on the Tekno
btw... I collided midair with a Mugen... I finished the race without any scratch . The Mugen was limping after that collision and finally gave up when it reached the straight.
Old 08-25-2020, 10:04 AM
Tech Rookie

How times have changed! No one loves the HPI Vorza anymore. 😆
Old 08-25-2020, 10:19 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 33 (97%+)

Originally Posted by OFFICIALORANGE View Post
How times have changed! No one loves the HPI Vorza anymore. 😆
HB is the "Race Grade" variant of HPI, and SOAR was the original OEM for HB, but SOAR split off into their own separate brand after HB and HPI were chopped up and sold to different parent companies.
SOAR vs. HPI Case, statements from both, Updated ? saga continues -NeoBuggy.net ? Offroad RC Car News
Old 08-25-2020, 10:40 AM
Tech Rookie

I'm VERY new and have enjoyed the MBX7R and Losi 8ight 2.0 I picked up a while back. Granted I'm a "rookie" and do more bashing than anything but overall they ran great.

I unfortunately do not have the time to really master then and may be selling them soon.
Old 08-25-2020, 11:07 AM
Tech Rookie

Originally Posted by billdelong View Post
HB is the "Race Grade" variant of HPI, and SOAR was the original OEM for HB, but SOAR split off into their own separate brand after HB and HPI were chopped up and sold to different parent companies.
Wow, nice to know... I've been out of the RC game for years.
Old 08-25-2020, 02:59 PM
dtr
Tech Master

Originally Posted by OffRoadJunkie View Post
Kyosho just won the 2020 International Buggy Challenge last week. That was done with the Kyosho MP10e. If Tekno was better, why didn't they win? In fact, Tekno wasn't even in the top 10.
Quite probably because there was not a single tekno at that race; they simply have barely any presence in Europe. It is hard to win without participating
Phillip F likes this.
Old 08-25-2020, 03:17 PM
Tech Fanatic

It's true it's the driver more than the car to a point. But it's asinine to think the car isn't a part of the equation. Personally I got my first podium finish this past Sunday when I've been finishing somewhere between 5th - 10th if I even make the Amain. My fast lap also went from about 33.4 down to 32.1.

I'll also add that the Tekno is so easy to work on it ends up being more fun than work. You can have the front and rear clips and center pulled in about 5 minutes.

Old 08-25-2020, 10:09 PM
Tech Elite

"Driver more than a car".... sure. But people love to spend money. If they buy a buggy and stop spending stuff for it ... that wouldn't be fun anymore.
... at the end of the day, these are freaking TOY cars. LOL
Steve B in Vega likes this.
Old 08-26-2020, 08:28 AM
Tech Apprentice

Originally Posted by Phillip F View Post
... at the end of the day, these are freaking TOY cars. LOL
lol. true. i think thats why ive invested so much time and getting opinions. its a $1000 purchase for me (Canadian). Im spending a lot of money on a toy car.
Old 08-26-2020, 10:05 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by Furadi View Post
It's true it's the driver more than the car to a point. But it's asinine to think the car isn't a part of the equation. Personally I got my first podium finish this past Sunday when I've been finishing somewhere between 5th - 10th if I even make the Amain. My fast lap also went from about 33.4 down to 32.1.

I'll also add that the Tekno is so easy to work on it ends up being more fun than work. You can have the front and rear clips and center pulled in about 5 minutes.

Sure the car has something to do with it. I'm just saying you will need a competitive car, which all the top brands make. If you purchased a Tamiya Frog, I don't think you will be winning any races. However, AE, Losi, Kyosho, Yokomo, Serpent, Xray, Tekno, ETC... all make a car that you can win with. You probably did better with the Tekno because it was set up for your driving style. With all the adjustments and add-ons that all these cars have, you can make it perform the way you like.
Old 08-26-2020, 10:21 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by dtr View Post
Quite probably because there was not a single tekno at that race; they simply have barely any presence in Europe. It is hard to win without participating

There were a few Teknos. They just didn't have their top drivers there.

As for spending money on these things, it can get pretty ridiculous. At one point, I was racing a 2wd buggy, 4wd buggy, and a stadium truck. I had close to $5,000 into these things. Now I just race 2wd and have about $900 wrapped up into it. Batteries, motors, chargers, bags, stands, tires, extra parts, etc... A buddy of mine, who's hobby is bass fishing, was making fun of me for spending so much money on a "toy." I replied to him by reminding him that he has 8 fishing poles, each worth almost $350, 16 tackle boxes filled with expensive lures, and a $60,000 bass boat. Almost $70,000 spent on catching a $5,00 fish. He doesn't tease me any more. In fact, he went out and bought an RC boat.
Phillip F and rwhammond like this.
Old 08-26-2020, 12:33 PM
Tech Elite

lol. true. i think thats why ive invested so much time and getting opinions. its a $1000 purchase for me (Canadian). Im spending a lot of money on a toy car.
..at least if you want to be competitive , you gotta invest in the good stuff... unless you are just bashing.
rwhammond likes this.
Old 08-26-2020, 01:27 PM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by OffRoadJunkie View Post
Sure the car has something to do with it. I'm just saying you will need a competitive car, which all the top brands make. If you purchased a Tamiya Frog, I don't think you will be winning any races. However, AE, Losi, Kyosho, Yokomo, Serpent, Xray, Tekno, ETC... all make a car that you can win with. You probably did better with the Tekno because it was set up for your driving style. With all the adjustments and add-ons that all these cars have, you can make it perform the way you like.
Almost true. What it boils down to is I'm able to set the Tekno up for how I drive. It just has certain features that my old 8ight 4.0 did not have like more mechanical steering and smoother suspension due to the hinge pin bushings.
It's also worth noting that at least in my case the Tekno is easier to tune just because it's so easy to work on. Changing diff oils is now a 15 minute job instead of a an hour or two.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2023 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.