Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road
Team Associated B74.1 >

Team Associated B74.1

Like Tree252Likes

Team Associated B74.1

Hide Wikipost
Old 10-26-2020, 06:24 PM   -   Wikipost
R/C Tech ForumsThread Wiki: Team Associated B74.1
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been a member for 90 days and have made 90 posts.

Last edit by: Kraig
*B74.1 Tuning Parts Guide*
Hi all, with the B74.1 now available and with many important detailed changes to key tuning parts, I have put together a quick reference guide to allow you to compare B74 and B74.1 settings. I have included the typical outdoor settings we use but the changes translate across all surfaces.

Any questions, please ask away

​​​Original post here:

https://m.facebook.com/story.php?sto...96568894020064

Thanks to Petitrc for also uploading this to the site:
http://site.petitrc.com/setup/associ...ingPartsGuide/

Print Wikipost

Old 11-11-2020, 04:59 PM
Tech Rookie

Any small upgrades you would do with the 74.1D build?
Old 11-11-2020, 05:47 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Originally Posted by RogerM
Essentially it changes the jacking on the front end and allows pill changes which further effect weight transfer, the combination changes the steering feel quite a bit.
Is there a reference that explains "jacking"? I've heard this term but don't know what it refers to. If you google "car jacking", it's not particularly helpful...
Old 11-11-2020, 08:02 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

Kinda frustrating that the 74.1 was just released with updated shorter towers, shock bodies, and shafts and the top AE pros are already back to running the b74 31mm rear tower and shocks and the b74 24mm bodies on the front on their dirt setups
jonski, Joe H, frdtrkguy and 1 others like this.
Old 11-12-2020, 04:47 AM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by RazorRC
Is there a reference that explains "jacking"? I've heard this term but don't know what it refers to. If you google "car jacking", it's not particularly helpful...
Essentially as a wheel that has both castor and camber (also KPI but lets not complicate things) turns it rolls onto either the inside or outside edge depending on the direction it is turning. As it does this it effects changes the height of the axle which in turn would change the rideheight if the suspension was solid.
As the suspension isn't solid the suspension absorbs some of the loading from the change in axle height which obviously causes a roll center shift.

That is the simplest way I can explain it without pictures which I don't have here right now.
Old 11-12-2020, 06:23 AM
Tech Adept

Suspension Geometry - White-Smoke

This page does a pretty good job of explaining suspension jacking.
Old 11-12-2020, 04:19 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Thanks guys, I think I'm understanding it.
Old 11-12-2020, 08:27 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 20 (100%+)

Originally Posted by MrLean
Kinda frustrating that the 74.1 was just released with updated shorter towers, shock bodies, and shafts and the top AE pros are already back to running the b74 31mm rear tower and shocks and the b74 24mm bodies on the front on their dirt setups
That is irritating..
Old 11-13-2020, 01:07 PM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by MrLean
I remeber watching a Video from Duatin Evans when the original B74 was released saying he hadnt had anytime with the car before it release and no input in its development.
AE seem to throw a car out and just hope it works. With all the issue that were evident from day one with the original, I guess thats what they do. 🤷‍♂️
Very frustrating. They have all the talent and resources to produce a killer car and team drivers are left to make a frankenstein car out of the two. Come on AE, you should know better.
Shaun Huelskamp likes this.
Old 11-16-2020, 04:51 AM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by Piles
I remeber watching a Video from Duatin Evans when the original B74 was released saying he hadnt had anytime with the car before it release and no input in its development.
AE seem to throw a car out and just hope it works. With all the issue that were evident from day one with the original, I guess thats what they do. 🤷‍♂️
Very frustrating. They have all the talent and resources to produce a killer car and team drivers are left to make a frankenstein car out of the two. Come on AE, you should know better.
Remember that these pro's are chasing fractions of 10ths in the battle with each other and get MANY runs to dial the cars in to a particular track for a particular event (not the 1 x 5 minute practice that we often get in the UK for sure).
What they are doing is looking at lots of different data sources and working out where they might find a fraction here, a fraction there for that particular track condition at that particular time.

That means that if they are at a track where having a little more droop, for example, helps stabilise a car on a section that directly effects how much speed they can carry through a particular critical sequence then they will make that change. We all would.
Next track they might find that amount of droop cause issues with traction rolling for example so they actually go less droop than the normal kit shock build.
I'm just using droop as an example here.
It really doesn't constitute a "Frankenstien" car.

For example I have DCVs in my box but rarely put them on my B74 as they take away a little steering and I like plenty.
I have every shock component combination that I ever use built up ready to go so if I get to a track where I need a shorter front shaft, for example, I can do that in the gap between my 5 minute practice and round 1.
Even though I have all of that stuff and pretty much every conceivable option part I often run the same base setup, particularly on the B74, because it just works.

When you are fighting for fractions that is what you have to do, assuming you have the knowledge to know what to do when of course.

What AE have to do in the kits is put out a car that works straight from the box to suit 80% of the situations 80% of the customers will put it through. That is REALLY difficult without including LOTs of parts and making the kit super expensive.
This is why there is now a "D" version of the B74 kit as there have been with the 2wd cars for a while .... one size most definitely doesn't fit all with the different track surfaces, layout styles, environmental conditions, tyres etc.

The current B74.1 specs will be perfect for a typical racer with typical skills running on typical tracks, lets be honest the typical driver builds the car to a setup sheet and doesn't touch it for many months.

To be fair I think that for the most part AE do a better job of the 80% for 80% than any other manufacture, for example my wet astro B6.2D is kit stock ZERO option parts other than 91494 which is personal preference, not even springs (I was lucky and got the 2x1.7 pistons before anybody asks).
Sheppy likes this.
Old 11-16-2020, 07:54 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

Originally Posted by RogerM
What AE have to do in the kits is put out a car that works straight from the box to suit 80% of the situations 80% of the customers will put it through. That is REALLY difficult without including LOTs of parts and making the kit super expensive.
This is why there is now a "D" version of the B74 kit as there have been with the 2wd cars for a while .... one size most definitely doesn't fit all with the different track surfaces, layout styles, environmental conditions, tyres etc.

The current B74.1 specs will be perfect for a typical racer with typical skills running on typical tracks, lets be honest the typical driver builds the car to a setup sheet and doesn't touch it for many months.

To be fair I think that for the most part AE do a better job of the 80% for 80% than any other manufacture, for example my wet astro B6.2D is kit stock ZERO option parts other than 91494 which is personal preference, not even springs (I was lucky and got the 2x1.7 pistons before anybody asks).
It's funny you say that. In my frustration, I threw away the pro setup I was going to use and just built to the kit setup. Finished the car Saturday night at 1am, threw the car down for 5-10 min of practice Sunday morning before our first club race, ran 2 qualifiers and was BQ (1st in the B-main lol). And then won the B-main tone to tone with 97.5% consistency. I don't think I've ever seen a consistency score that high with any of my cars yet on dirt, usually 92-94% is good for me (only been racing dirt for about 6 weeks).

Last edited by MrLean; 11-16-2020 at 02:26 PM.
Old 11-16-2020, 01:54 PM
Tech Prophet

Trader Rating: 84 (100%+)

I have tried both the long and the short bodies. I dont see any difference in my laps times or how the car lands.
Old 11-16-2020, 02:17 PM
Tech Regular

[QUOTE=RogerM;15715668]Remember that these pro's are chasing fractions of 10ths in the battle with each other and get MANY runs to dial the cars in to a particular track for a particular event (not the 1 x 5 minute practice that we often get in the UK for sure).
What they are doing is looking at lots of different data sources and working out where they might find a fraction here, a fraction there for that particular track condition at that particular time.

That means that if they are at a track where having a little more droop, for example, helps stabilise a car on a section that directly effects how much speed they can carry through a particular critical sequence then they will make that change. We all would.
Next track they might find that amount of droop cause issues with traction rolling for example so they actually go less droop than the normal kit shock build.
I'm just using droop as an example here.
It really doesn't constitute a "Frankenstien" car.

For example I have DCVs in my box but rarely put them on my B74 as they take away a little steering and I like plenty.
I have every shock component combination that I ever use built up ready to go so if I get to a track where I need a shorter front shaft, for example, I can do that in the gap between my 5 minute practice and round 1.
Even though I have all of that stuff and pretty much every conceivable option part I often run the same base setup, particularly on the B74, because it just works.

When you are fighting for fractions that is what you have to do, assuming you have the knowledge to know what to do when of course.

To be fair I think that for the most part AE do a better job of the 80% for 80% than any other manufacture, for example my wet astro B6.2D is kit stock ZERO option parts other than 91494 which is personal preference, not even springs (I was lucky and got the 2x1.7 pistons before anybody asks).[/

Time will tell wether the changes made to Rivkins car will be for a, particilar track at a particular time, as you say. Rivkin is particually in tune to setup and yet finds a setup and sticks with it like no other pro Ive seen.

Bare in mind, the towers and shocks are the biggest difference between the new and old car and yet Rivkin has swapped out towers on his first meeting which he’s published, and gone on to swap out shocks as well on his second. To me it doesnt look like he had time with the car to give any input before going into production, I could be wrong.
Old 11-16-2020, 10:00 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Piles

Time will tell wether the changes made to Rivkins car will be for a, particilar track at a particular time, as you say. Rivkin is particually in tune to setup and yet finds a setup and sticks with it like no other pro Ive seen.

Bare in mind, the towers and shocks are the biggest difference between the new and old car and yet Rivkin has swapped out towers on his first meeting which he’s published, and gone on to swap out shocks as well on his second. To me it doesnt look like he had time with the car to give any input before going into production, I could be wrong.
Just to be clear Rivkin is still using 74.1 towers which have a lower cg than the 74 (which is definitely a noticeable change to the car) but is using the longer bodies similar to the 74. The body length is a subtle change to bump/jump riding and handling, the lcg towers a noticeable effect.

The 74.1 had a lot of team input but I can empathise that setup changes like this can be confusing. During development the team (like any manufacturing business) has to draw a line in the sand and release what they feel is the best package at the time.

Ray
RogerM and stueys like this.
Old 11-17-2020, 07:14 AM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by ray_munday
Just to be clear Rivkin is still using 74.1 towers which have a lower cg than the 74 (which is definitely a noticeable change to the car) but is using the longer bodies similar to the 74. The body length is a subtle change to bump/jump riding and handling, the lcg towers a noticeable effect.

The 74.1 had a lot of team input but I can empathise that setup changes like this can be confusing. During development the team (like any manufacturing business) has to draw a line in the sand and release what they feel is the best package at the time.

Ray
Rivkins car uses the front shock tower from the new kit. He uses the shocks bodies from the old kit with shafts of the new kit. He also uses a rear tower which, is not from the new or old kit. (a 31mm tower)

Its a shame that if you were to want to run your car as Rivkin chooses to it takes all this alterations and expense. AE may have been better off waiting to see what would be a more
popular choice of setup before releasing the car. Especially the “d” variant. It may be that this setup is a very fluid thing and changes greatly from track to track, but as I say, I dont imagine it will.
Old 11-17-2020, 07:44 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Do you guys realize how many thousands of combinations of parts go into these setups?

As you change some things, other things change as well. Smaller shocks don't pack up as much as the larger ones, so after a few weeks (or days whatever) Rivkin found he liked a mix of the two shocks, I'm guessing.

I'm enjoying the new car, I haven't gotten the new shock tower setup as there are other ways to get that effect.

Is it frustrating? Absolutely. But the new cars are better than the old ones and the setups will continue to evolve. Just watch what the pros do, they experiment endlessly. Maybe this part of the setup goes away maybe not. Either way we aren't on his level, so change what you can for less money or try it yourself. Nobody is forcing you to run it. The rear shock change is mostly for damping/pack just in the rear, not like every bit of the setup hinges upon it.

Anyway I'm liking the new buggy so far. Im going to keep running it.
RogerM, Piles and Sheppy like this.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.