Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road
Stampede VXL 4x4 Hobbywing 4000kV Upgrade >

Stampede VXL 4x4 Hobbywing 4000kV Upgrade

Stampede VXL 4x4 Hobbywing 4000kV Upgrade

Old 08-17-2020, 11:10 AM
Tech Rookie

Default Stampede VXL 4x4 Hobbywing 4000kV Upgrade

Hi everyone, Recently bought this Max10 SCT ESC Combo with 3660SL 4000kV Brushless Motor for my pede 1/10, but when I installed it it broke the spur gear of the slipper clutch, probably the gear of the motor didn't fit on my current spur gear.

Now I have to buy the slipper clutch and a different gear but don't know what to buy, can someone help me get the correct parts?

Thank you very much for any information.

Sorry cannot update pictures

The gear is bigger than the original engine
Also the pin of the engine is thicker for the hobbywing
The gear broke the spur gear tooth

Old 08-18-2020, 10:28 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Traxxas stampede uses 48pitch spur gear, and the Max10 SCT esc combo comes with a 48pitch 21 tooth pinion,which is slightly to big of gearing. you will be able to buy a new spur gear without replacing the entire slipper clutch assembly. It looks like the smallest pinion that came with the stampede is a 11t and the largest is a 17, and the hobbywing comes with a 21, look for a 11t-17t 48 pitch 5mm bore pinion. the stock VXL systems used a 1/8" or 3.125mm shaft, hobbywing uses 5mm. It sounds like you most likely set the gear mesh to tight or to loose, resulting in spur gear failure. So to recap, buy a new spur gear (~$5) new pinon (~$10) and set gear mesh correctly. Look on youtube on how to set gear mesh, plenty of great helpful videos.
Old 09-03-2020, 07:35 AM
Tech Rookie

Originally Posted by ryandurepo View Post
Traxxas stampede uses 48pitch spur gear, and the Max10 SCT esc combo comes with a 48pitch 21 tooth pinion,which is slightly to big of gearing. you will be able to buy a new spur gear without replacing the entire slipper clutch assembly. It looks like the smallest pinion that came with the stampede is a 11t and the largest is a 17, and the hobbywing comes with a 21, look for a 11t-17t 48 pitch 5mm bore pinion. the stock VXL systems used a 1/8" or 3.125mm shaft, hobbywing uses 5mm. It sounds like you most likely set the gear mesh to tight or to loose, resulting in spur gear failure. So to recap, buy a new spur gear (~$5) new pinon (~$10) and set gear mesh correctly. Look on youtube on how to set gear mesh, plenty of great helpful videos.
Thanks, it helped me a lot... I'll buy it and let you know how it went.
Old 09-03-2020, 05:30 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Stampede 4x4 VXL uses 32p (mod 0.8) gears, not 48p.