Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road
ESC and Li-po questions for B4/T4 >

ESC and Li-po questions for B4/T4

ESC and Li-po questions for B4/T4

Old 03-21-2006, 09:24 PM
Tech Adept

Default ESC and Li-po questions for B4/T4

Hey,

After about 5 years out of competitive 1/10 racing I am back! I am either picking up a FT T4 or B4 soon, and have been reading up on both cars. I left the hobby with a B3 sport, which I unfortunately sold two years ago.

I have been messing around with smaller scales as of late, so I am not totally out of the loop. What I do need is help deciding on an ESC and Li-po battery.

First of all, does this Li-po (first one on the page, 6000mah) have a high enough AMP rating for either stock or mod racing? The info on the pack says:

6000mah Capacity
7.4 Volts
45mm X 135mm X 24mm
Rated at 60 Amp Constant Discharge
Rated at 72 Amp Burst for 10 seconds
292 grams
Typical Capacity is between 3000-3100mah
Comes with Standard Taps
Great Pack for a mild setup between 40-60 amps constant. If you have a higher amp draw then choose the 8000mah pack instead. You will need a lipoly charger for this pack along with a Low Voltage Detector. We recomend the Hyperion Charger and the 2S LVD here on the website.

So that leads me to my next dilema: the ESC. I found NIB QC2s on eBay for $100 + $10 shipping + $2.50 insurance. I have heard things about the QC2 having a weak BEC, espically with Spektrum. My next radio will be Spektrum based (either a DX2/3 or M8 w/module), so this is a big deal to me.

I also see the LRP V7.1 on Tower for $130. With the cupon code I cna get for $118 shipped. So it all comes down to which is the better ESC?

Thanks!
Old 03-21-2006, 11:18 PM
Tech Addict

I love my QC2.I do have a couple of minor probloms with it o spectrum however.

If I turn the car on first then radio it wont bind forl iek 2 min lol.My range is awsome....I never gon out of it.One thing though is if I have my radio too close to the car it freakes out and lags hardcore.I think im going to get a capacitor for it.Hoplefully that will fix it.

Also why do you want lipo??there dangerours, expensive, and have no gain over newer NIMH as far as runtime.Not to mention you cant race them.Also a IB3800 will put out over 100 AMPS.There very giving batteries.

PS.

The B4 pushes like a freight train
Old 03-21-2006, 11:28 PM
Tech Adept

I think I will go with the QC2, once the guy contacts me.

Well I want to go with li po for many reasons. First, they are less expensive. I can run almost all day in stock with one 6000mah pack. I do not have to buy 3 packs to race. Furthermore, they are not dangerous. I have used li-po for almost two years now without any problems. I even had a pack that was accidently shorted without any problems whatsoever. All I am asking is wheather or not that battery has a high enough AMP racing for my needs, nothing more.

Thanks.
Old 03-22-2006, 05:49 AM
Tech Addict

They will work....I guess.

However like I said above.MOST TRACK DO NOT ALLOW LIPO.Also there higher voltage.You say cheater?

Some dont even alow them in the premisise lol.A kid hit the wall doing 40MPH.BOOM lol.Wouldnt look to goo on insureance,Also that one LIpo isnt going to last you but a heat and a hlaf.It says right their "Typical capacity 3100 what the F ever"

My 3600s and 3800s from IB are pumpin out over 4000MAH every time.

I have a bunch of times forogot to put a pack on and ran the same pack over...And still didnt dump till about 30 seconds after the race.Thats with a Powerhog Co27 !!!!
Old 03-22-2006, 06:34 AM
Tech Master

lipos will not explode. most tracks wont allow them in stock but in mod it doesnt matter. you can get a orion lipo and run at least 2 heats without charging it. as for the QC2. i had one and it would always go out of range with my spektrum. i just ditched spektrum and went with regular crystals.
Old 03-22-2006, 07:11 AM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 86 (100%+)

Many racers at my local track are running Orion LiPo now. They will typically run two heats and recharge tehn run the 3rd heat and the main. More than having more voltage, they have more voltage under load. There is almost no internal resistance. Punch is not the word. I must admit I'm getting a little jealous of the LiPos.

You should be able to find Novak GT7's all day long for that price but if you're going LiPo you might as well go all the way and get a brushless. I have 2 of the GTB systems and they are great.
Old 03-22-2006, 07:15 AM
Tech Adept

[QUOTE=That0neguy]I love my QC2.I do have a couple of minor probloms with it o spectrum however.

If I turn the car on first then radio it wont bind forl iek 2 min lol.My range is awsome....I never gon out of it.One thing though is if I have my radio too close to the car it freakes out and lags hardcore.I think im going to get a capacitor for it.Hoplefully that will fix it.

I have the Spektrum unit in a M11 (Novak GTB) and it has worked perfectly from day one.

Also why do you want lipo??there dangerours, expensive, and have no gain over newer NIMH as far as runtime.Not to mention you cant race them.Also a IB3800 will put out over 100 AMPS.There very giving batteries.

Talk about spreading blatant misinformation!
Old 03-22-2006, 07:43 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Here's a slightly different take on the LiPo packs, apogee sells a "LiMn" that's touted as a safer, less dangerous pack made specifically for R/C Car use.

http://pfmdistribution.com/secure/sh...d=197&catid=46

Right now they have 3800 mAh packs with higher capacity ones on the way. The price is a bit more reasonable too. Doesn't have the plastic case that the orion packs do. I picked up a pack to mess with from my local hobby shop, so the price was a bit better than $99 direct from them...
Old 03-22-2006, 08:54 AM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 86 (100%+)

[QUOTE=Lano]
Originally Posted by That0neguy
I love my QC2.I do have a couple of minor probloms with it o spectrum however.

I have the Spektrum unit in a M11 (Novak GTB) and it has worked perfectly from day one.

Talk about spreading blatant misinformation!
LiPo is not dangerous or expensive. The gain over NiMh is significant. The runtime may be the same but the LiPo retains it's higher voltage output across the whole discharge cycle. They can be recharged from any point in the discharge (1/2 charge etc) without a drop in performance. They can be charged and left for a week and then run with no noticeable drop in performance. They can be left in any state of charge within the acceptable range (ie. not over discharged) and then charged from that point with no drop in performance. Li Po packs last 10 times longer than nimh packs. If you run 3 classes you only need 3 packs. WAAAAYY cheaper than conventional packs.

You may have read horror stories about packs blowing up but I havve SEEN an IB 3800 voilently blow two cells breaking the chassis that they were in. This makes me nervous as I just bought 5 of those a couple of months ago.

You can race LiPo anywhere that the track allows them. At club level that is virtually everywhere. The track faces the problem of either allowing them and making a few racers grumble or not allowing them and costing the shop sales and race entry fees. No track can afford to turn away racers.
Old 03-22-2006, 09:30 AM
Tech Regular

There should be no gripes using them in modified classes. These are meant to be "anything goes" unlimited modifications as long as it meets the appropriate chassis requirements for the class.

By this time next year when they officially sanction lipo pack usage in all major organizations it will be a different story... I expect the touring car world will make the transition first with lipo and brushless being combined for some awesome races.
Old 03-22-2006, 09:44 AM
Tech Adept

[QUOTE=Davidka]
Originally Posted by Lano

LiPo is not dangerous or expensive. The gain over NiMh is significant. The runtime may be the same but the LiPo retains it's higher voltage output across the whole discharge cycle. They can be recharged from any point in the discharge (1/2 charge etc) without a drop in performance. They can be charged and left for a week and then run with no noticeable drop in performance. They can be left in any state of charge within the acceptable range (ie. not over discharged) and then charged from that point with no drop in performance. Li Po packs last 10 times longer than nimh packs. If you run 3 classes you only need 3 packs. WAAAAYY cheaper than conventional packs.

You may have read horror stories about packs blowing up but I havve SEEN an IB 3800 voilently blow two cells breaking the chassis that they were in. This makes me nervous as I just bought 5 of those a couple of months ago.

You can race LiPo anywhere that the track allows them. At club level that is virtually everywhere. The track faces the problem of either allowing them and making a few racers grumble or not allowing them and costing the shop sales and race entry fees. No track can afford to turn away racers.
Thank you for ariculating my point.
Old 03-22-2006, 09:48 AM
Tech Adept

Sorry, "articulating". Typing too fast.
Old 03-22-2006, 11:01 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

I have a lipo and can tell you they are not as dangerous as people want you to believe. Most of the issues are due to charging. If you do it correctly and take precautions they are safe. My lipo is a 4400 and kicks the crap out of an IB. Not even close as far as punch. IB's have a higher top voltage when peaked so it is not the voltage but the lack of voltage drop under load that makes the difference. I will be getting more and not go back. I just recharge my lipo after each race. 1 battery for the day.
Interesting note is that when I recharge I am using far less mah on a recharge than a guy with Nimh. Probably due to less IR?

Capacity is not that close either. You can get lipos that are 8000 mah and weigh less than a set of IB's.

Funny part is the tracks that do not allow them I would have to ask if they are banning receiver packs also. Many 1/8th are going to these. So I would question any track that tells you to leave because they are dangerous. It is just as dangerous in a receiver pack.
Old 03-22-2006, 11:02 AM
Tech Adept

Hmm, I did not notice the specs on that pack, what a POS. I am going to contact them first, and see if tht is not 3100mah per cell or per 2-cell pack.

And yes, like I said it is a "Run what ya brung" type of thing. Alot of people are running li-po in stock.

No, li-pos are not dangerous. I know alot of people (including myself) who have used them in all types of applications with no problems.

Furthermore, the reason I did not want nimh in the first place is the cost associated with them.

Not just the cost of the actual batteries, but once you factor in dischargers (from what I read, you need a smart board/equalizer AND another tray to bring the cells to a low enough voltage). Couple that with the norm of having to own 3 packs, and it is way over my head.

Keep in mind, I am a kid in HS just looking to have fun. I have neither the time or the money to launch a competitive "attack" on anything above a club level.

If one Li-po will last me a pack and a half, that is great. I can still resume charging as soon as I take the car off of the track.

Thanks again to all.
Old 03-22-2006, 11:52 AM
Tech Elite

Typical capacity of 3000-3100 is per cell. There are 2 in series and 2 in parallel. Which makes 7.4v and 6000mah.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.