Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road
1/10th buggy for my 7 y/o nephew to race. >

1/10th buggy for my 7 y/o nephew to race.

Like Tree6Likes

1/10th buggy for my 7 y/o nephew to race.

Old 08-12-2020, 12:17 AM
Tech Initiate

Default 1/10th buggy for my 7 y/o nephew to race.

Looking for a 1/10th buggy.. being that my nephew is only 7 and has never raced.... I'm looking for a buggy that is Durable and fairly easy to drive and affordable... I know, a durable , easy to drive, and affordable buggy I'm not asking for much...lol... I'm thinking a traxxas bandit, or tamiya DT02 or 03 and probably gonna start him off with a Tamiya torque tuned motor so that he can learn to drive in the sportsman class. Am I overlooking another buggy that may be better suited for the task?? I don't care if it's RTR... I prefer a kit... and the reason I'm looking at buggies is because my brother (his other uncle) and I are gonna race buggies as well... most likely losi buggies....
Old 08-12-2020, 03:36 AM
Tech Initiate

Get him the same losi you and his brother are getting (or a 4.0 to make it cheaper?).
Then you can share the same spares with all cars and he won't need a better car when he's improving, you could even get him a 10,5/17,5/21,5t motor and turn down the epa until he stops hitting everything (again, so you don't have to upgrade him immediately).

maybe not the cheapest way but you don't need to buy stuff twice that way
Smaug, soulstice and Rcdad42 like this.
Old 08-12-2020, 08:42 AM
Tech Adept

Very good points by Larse. If you can't afford a nice buggy for him right away, at least let him run your Losi when you're not racing against each other. As a 7 year-old, he will have better reflexes than you and will learn faster. He will soon be better than you are, if he has the right equipment not to get discouraged.

There's no buggy racing class where a Bandit could be competitive, unless it is heavily modified. It would just be a basher.
Rcdad42 likes this.
Old 08-12-2020, 08:47 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Movingwest View Post
Looking for a 1/10th buggy.. being that my nephew is only 7 and has never raced.... I'm looking for a buggy that is Durable and fairly easy to drive and affordable... I know, a durable , easy to drive, and affordable buggy I'm not asking for much...lol... I'm thinking a traxxas bandit, or tamiya DT02 or 03 and probably gonna start him off with a Tamiya torque tuned motor so that he can learn to drive in the sportsman class. Am I overlooking another buggy that may be better suited for the task?? I don't care if it's RTR... I prefer a kit... and the reason I'm looking at buggies is because my brother (his other uncle) and I are gonna race buggies as well... most likely losi buggies....
The biggest question to ask is "How much are you willing to spend?" If you get a kit, you will need to expect to pay about $300 for just the electronics. That includes radio, receiver, ESC, motor, battery, and charger. That's for electronics that will allow him to be competitive. A competitive race kit would cost about $250. That's for a Kyosho RB7, Kyosho RB7ss, or a Losi 22 5.0 Spec. The Kyoshos are about $220 and the Losi is about $230. All extremely competitive and durable cars as well as the least expensive. They are all new designs and not outdated. Definitely not a "Good for now" type vehicles.

The Traxxas Bandits are not very competitive. Their suspension is not up to par, the brushed motor system is not race legal or fast enough, and the rear mounted motor design will not allow it to handle as well as the mid-motor design.

Old 08-12-2020, 09:51 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

Agree with Larse's suggestion. You can get a used older Losi buggy with spares at a much more reasonable price than the newest gear and you'll have some forward compatibility with your parts. Help him take it apart so he has the context of how everything is together. Then help him put it back together as a rebuild and make sure everything is as it should be in terms of setup. An electric screwdriver will go a long way in making this a more pleasant process.

That's pretty much what I did with my kids. I ended up getting Kyosho RB.6's with tons of spares for way less than half of what they were new. Now the kids have RB7's (which is the latest version) because those popped up used at a reasonable price as well and I just sold the older buggies and kept all the spares that work with their newer cars.

Last edited by soulstice; 08-12-2020 at 10:11 AM.
Old 08-12-2020, 09:58 AM
Tech Initiate

We already have everything other than the buggies, this isn't my first go around...lol Sportsman classes allow brushed setups so that isn't a problem. If we are gonna buy him a race spec buggy I'm not spending money on "last years" model and for certain am not buying used unless it was from someone I know personally that maintains their stuff... I've been bitten one to many times buying something that needs replacement parts to get it to be able to race meanwhile the guy who f'd it up gets to buy a new buggy because he knew replacing all the worn parts would cost more than buying new... it's been a while since I raced... and 1/10th buggies weren't known for their durability. I guess it makes sense that they are built beefier now that the motor systems and batteries can provide enough power to push the extra weight...
Old 08-12-2020, 10:08 AM
Tech Adept

Going with a used car is a great idea if cost is a big factor. You will get extra parts and it will be ready to go. I would go that route if I could see myself paying $600 for a new setup.

On the other hand, if you are getting into racing and $600 is not that far off from what you are willing to spend, I would go with a new one. Especially if it is for someone who is new to the hobby. Here is why... With a new kit, you will have to assemble it. Being new, you will make mistakes and have to disassemble it and reassemble it a couple times to get it right. By doing this, you will learn how to make adjustments, service your car, and make repairs without constantly looking for instructions on how to do it. You will literally know your car inside and out. You will know the name of the parts and how they work. Therefore when you read information or watch videos on how to set up your call, you will know what they are talking about when they start calling out the names of parts. I have couple friends that had to go the less expensive route and purchase used cars. They both freaked out when they opened their gear box to rebuild their ball-differential, which is a common service that needs to be performed often, especially with Losi. Kyosho has a better ball diff and doesn't require as much servicing. Most used cars don't come with instruction manuals, but you can easily find them and download them.

I purchased my 12 year old son an RB7ss and had him put it together. Now, when ever he needs to make adjustments or repairs, he does it without hesitation. Actually, the only thing that has broken on it is the Servo. It wasn't adjusted properly and it burned up. He races it and bashes it. Pretty stinking durable car.
Old 08-12-2020, 04:31 PM
Tech Initiate

I've built a kit or 2 in my day...as a matter of fact I built 3 kits within the last 2 weeks and will be building another in 2-3 days... I'm also very familiar with Losi ball diffs... I was actually a member of this forum 21 years ago to about 10 years ago... if I still had my old email I'd be using that profile... Again I'd buy a used car if I personally knew and trusted the previous owner... I have been out of racing and the hobby for a few years so I am not familiar with all the new cars... hence why I am asking for advice... The Kyosho comes in at the right price...however I'm not to keen on ordering parts especially right now where everything is taking to long to ship for my tastes....
Old 08-12-2020, 09:32 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Modern race buggies are more durable than old Tamiyas and probably more durable than a Bandit, so you don't gain anything durability wise with something low end like that. All you save is money, so you have to decide if the performance trade-off is worth the price. Or try to find a leftover old stock B6.1 or TLR 4.0 or something.
Old 08-13-2020, 06:06 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 32 (97%+)

1st gen geometry - rear motor long stick packs
2nd gen - swappable RM or MM
3rd gen - MM only with shorty packs

If you will be club racing and want to to be competitive then I would limit your search to 3rd gen designs.

Of the budget options out there, the best bang for the buck is the PR Racing S1-V3-FM Sport
Part support is excellent with 4 distributors in the US currently, plus they offer tons of upgrades, but it would be more cost effective to get the "Type R" variant if you want all the hop ups to have a solid race grade platform. The sport version is equally as competitive, but costs are significantly reduced because many of the carbon/aluminum parts are replaced with plastic. I don't know of any other 3rd Gen design on the market that you can get brand new in the $160 range

PR is very popular in Europe, they are an emerging brand in the US:
https://www.liverc.com/news/talk-it-...naan-yingling/
Old 08-13-2020, 05:48 PM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by Movingwest View Post
I've built a kit or 2 in my day...as a matter of fact I built 3 kits within the last 2 weeks and will be building another in 2-3 days... I'm also very familiar with Losi ball diffs... I was actually a member of this forum 21 years ago to about 10 years ago... if I still had my old email I'd be using that profile... Again I'd buy a used car if I personally knew and trusted the previous owner... I have been out of racing and the hobby for a few years so I am not familiar with all the new cars... hence why I am asking for advice... The Kyosho comes in at the right price...however I'm not to keen on ordering parts especially right now where everything is taking to long to ship for my tastes....
I kinda don't have a choice when it comes to ordering parts, no matter what brand I choose. My nearest shop is 40 miles away. The Losi 22 5.0 Spec is only $20 more.
Old 08-13-2020, 06:25 PM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

Most of what I race was bought used. I had great luck with used on road. I was a bit skeptical about used off road. I had some misconceptions about how rough off road was.

You can find great deals used. You can tell but pictures and description if it’s something that was abused or not.

For the most part, the basher/non race side it’s really interested in something under 3-4s. I’m a recent convert to the race side. And only been on the clay off road side since June.
Old 08-13-2020, 06:31 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

My boys were running slashes, I felt like they were ready for 2wd buggy and found 2 associated B6 buggies for $150 a piece from 2 separate sellers here on rctech. From the pictures, I could tell they were in good condition. When they showed up I was not disappointed. Nothing wrong buying used on here. Don't buy from anyone who intentionally leaves out pictures of the common problem areas.
Billy Kelly likes this.
Old 08-13-2020, 06:34 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Originally Posted by OffRoadJunkie View Post
I kinda don't have a choice when it comes to ordering parts, no matter what brand I choose. My nearest shop is 40 miles away. The Losi 22 5.0 Spec is only $20 more.
you talk like 40 miles is far away?
Old 08-13-2020, 06:44 PM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

Originally Posted by xlgraphicspro View Post
you talk like 40 miles is far away?
Not exactly convenient to just run over to. If you have to fight traffic, 40 miles can be a long drive.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.