Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road
1/10 4x4 Short Course >

1/10 4x4 Short Course

Like Tree4Likes

1/10 4x4 Short Course

Old 08-10-2020, 08:13 AM
Tech Initiate

Default 1/10 4x4 Short Course

Where has 4x4 short course racing gone. That was my favorite class to watch and run.
Old 08-10-2020, 08:43 AM
Tech Apprentice

There are pockets of them running. A couple of problems, some see it as a demolition derby and bang a lot, many do not like racing that way. I run the class and accept it as part of running. I am just not a fan of the hack fest. Others have mention not many new platforms out there. both Losi and Tekno are long in the tooth. I know of prostar making a et410 conversion kit. It seems to be making a spark and get people maybe back in.
Old 08-10-2020, 11:24 AM
Tech Regular

Tekno Truggy,et410 and et410.2, took a bite out of 4x4 shortbus.
Old 08-10-2020, 05:10 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

I run TLR SCTe 2.0 4x4 class.
Burned up the sensor port on a ESC a few weekends ago, Kinda put my truck in the wrong spot..
Old 08-10-2020, 05:19 PM
Tech Fanatic

What the insides currently look like. Just got done with the esc and still working on routing.
Old 08-11-2020, 06:44 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 32 (97%+)

The 4WD SCT class in my area has been hit and miss over the past 10+ years I've been racing. It seems every couple of years we will peak with 15-20 drivers regularly showing up, but lately we're averaging only around 5-10 drivers.

The biggest problem I see with the class is the ROAR restriction of 2S LiPo which is absurd to me. This negatively effects reliability and drastically increases operating costs for the class with shortened battery lifespan and shorter mains when compared to 1/8 buggy. At the very least they should open the class up to 3S, while still requiring a 3660 can and then folks won't be melting their electronics anymore, that's the #1 class killer IMO.

In contrast, what I love the most about SCT is tire wear is so much less expensive than 1/8 buggy it's insane, plus you never have to worry about your tires getting unglued! I'm trying to prove to the locals in my area that we need to switch over to 3S and all our problems will go away, just a crying shame someone at ROAR can't fix this glaring issue
Juglenaut likes this.
Old 08-11-2020, 07:06 AM
Tech Adept

Why follow all ROAR rules? Doesn't ROAR really only apply to races they sponsor? Can't a track say class follows ROAR except allowed 3s and 3660 can? If that increases participation, certainly seems worthwhile.
Old 08-11-2020, 07:25 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by mosquito View Post
Why follow all ROAR rules? Doesn't ROAR really only apply to races they sponsor? Can't a track say class follows ROAR except allowed 3s and 3660 can? If that increases participation, certainly seems worthwhile.
That's precisely what I am trying to promote locally, which so far is going well received, but it will take some time to catch on. However the local track often hosts a ROAR Regional Event a couple times a year for their respective dirt/turf programs and that's when things will get tricky, I know the ROAR rulebook says that a local track can over ride any rule they wish, but too many folks gripe about every little thing.... that it would be so much easier to have ROAR make things right in the first place. This is what I believe is the very reason why the class isn't as popular as it can be. Once you give it the same race length as any 1/8 electric class then you will give the class a fighting chance.
Juglenaut likes this.
Old 08-11-2020, 07:40 AM
Tech Master

Iíve also heard that the ďDDĒ mindset is kind of what hurt these classes (in 2WD as well). As such, I donít think you can expect the manufacturers to update a vehicle that is really not selling compared to other classes.

It got me thinking about the TLR in particular. With so many licensed vehicles (like the new Lasernut) being developed on the SCTE platform, I would imagine that there would be running changes with each release. Why couldnít these changes make their way into the base TLR SCTE Kit? I would imagine that a refreshed platform might spur interest, especially if the investment to update the platform was already made in another form of the kit.
Old 08-11-2020, 08:04 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Originally Posted by billdelong View Post
The biggest problem I see with the class is the ROAR restriction of 2S LiPo which is absurd to me. This negatively effects reliability and drastically increases operating costs for the class with shortened battery lifespan and shorter mains when compared to 1/8 buggy. At the very least they should open the class up to 3S, while still requiring a 3660 can and then folks won't be melting their electronics anymore, that's the #1 class killer IMO.

In contrast, what I love the most about SCT is tire wear is so much less expensive than 1/8 buggy it's insane, plus you never have to worry about your tires getting unglued! I'm trying to prove to the locals in my area that we need to switch over to 3S and all our problems will go away, just a crying shame someone at ROAR can't fix this glaring issue
I agree with your points about needing at least 3S or 4S for the current long running popular chassis, Losi and Tekno, as they are both 1/8th scale buggy based chassis designs. But where ROAR blew it was way back in the beginning when the class was still new they decided to allow the Losi design to race in the same class as the trucks that started the class, the Slash 4x4, the Jammin' SRT10, and then later the AE SC10 4x4, all decidedly 10th scale and all able to use 2S electronics with no issue. That mistake by ROAR is what eventually killed the class because it became a single chassis class until the Tekno came out, and has been a two chassis class ever since. I raced the AE SC10 4x4 and with a 2S 5000mah battery and the sensorless Castle 3800 4 pole motor could be out on the track and make a 10 minute main easy, which is what my track was running in the beginning. Once the Losi chassis came out, because it was so much heavier the guys running it started complaining because they could barely make the 10 minute mark, so the race director shortened first to 8 minutes, then to 6 minutes. After that the 4 pole motor wars started with guys strapping more and more power into their Losi and Tekno's because those chassis could handle it and the other manufacturers chassis died out. The Losi and Tekno should never have been allowed into the same class. They are both 8th scale buggys with shorter arms and SCT tires.

I know this is now 10 years on and with the Losi and Tekno having won several titles in 4wd sct, but I will always view them as a different class of truck and the reason 4wd SCT is now all but dead.

/rant over, flame suit on.
Old 08-11-2020, 08:37 AM
Tech Elite

I agree, there should be respective 1/10 and 1/8 variants, and that's where Associated attempted to do this with the SC8, but ROAR didn't offer this as a class so the platform died off almost the moment it was introduced. The 4WD SCT has had an identity crisis.... it's perfect for small indoor 1/10 tracks and can race on large outdoor 1/8 tracks too! They don't have large hard plastic wings so they can be raced on carpet and turf making it one of the most versatile classes on the market. Every problem with the class points back to the severely limited 2S restriction from ROAR, once you remove the battery restriction then the class will spring back to life, simple as that.

***UPDATE***
IMO... the problem with the lighter 1/10 designs was durability, however the SC10 was quite durable, except for their flawed belt driven design which was far too painful to work on, I saw far too many guys snap their belt just before the main and couldn't replace it in time to make the main, that was the downfall of the SC10 was difficulty to make repairs If it takes you longer than 15 min to replace any broken part on a chassis, then that chassis will go extinct in no time, the SC10 is proof of that, same with the Axial EXOterra, which took something like 10 min just to swap the battery, ha!
Juglenaut likes this.

Last edited by billdelong; 08-11-2020 at 08:51 AM.
Old 08-11-2020, 10:30 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Yes, the fact 4wd SCT was competent indoor and on large outdoor tracks was a big draw for me. I raced my SC10 4x4 successfully on both. But because of the weight and size advantage the Losi's and Tekno's had, I would frequently lose out and get punted in a door banging battle. This was all fine with me in the beginning as in a 10 minute main my truck would begin to run down the leading Losi as their battery would weaken and I still had plenty of steam and would be coming hard. Sometimes I got by, sometimes not but the 2S limit was an equalizer in a 10 minute main back then. Once longer mains went away it was game over. However, with no competitive 10th scale chassis racing anymore, 2S no longer makes any sense.

Durability was an issue in the beginning, especially the Jammin' but being 10th scale had nothing to do with it. All the 10th scale trucks were version 1.0 designs, Short Course 2wd and 4wd were brand new classes, so like all successful racing classes all the chassis would have been updated through the years just like the Losi and Tekno trucks have been. For the record, in two years of racing my SC10 4x4 I never broke a belt, even with running without the belt covers to save weight. I will concede however it was a challenging truck to work on because of its design.
billdelong likes this.
Old 08-11-2020, 11:02 AM
dtr
Tech Master

Originally Posted by sugs View Post
I agree with your points about needing at least 3S or 4S for the current long running popular chassis, Losi and Tekno, as they are both 1/8th scale buggy based chassis designs. But where ROAR blew it was way back in the beginning when the class was still new they decided to allow the Losi design to race in the same class as the trucks that started the class, the Slash 4x4, the Jammin' SRT10, and then later the AE SC10 4x4, all decidedly 10th scale and all able to use 2S electronics with no issue.
The sc10 4x4 and the Losi ten-scte were launched almost simultaneously, long after the rules had been written. It would have been outrageous if ROAR had disallowed a compliant truck.
Old 08-11-2020, 11:30 AM
Tech Elite

Funny you bring up the issue of 2S being an equalizer.... I had some super close racing in the 4WD SCT this past weekend... there was another driver of equal skill (Tony) where I got TQ by just a few seconds ahead of Tony, our fast lap times were about the same and we were dead even on top speed down the straight. He was running 2S-3660-4300KV and I was running 3S-3660-2500KV.... for a 5 min qual we were practically dead even, but I could see that I started pulling away from Tony in the last couple of minutes of the 8 min A1 main.... keep in mind that I could easily go 10 min with my 3S pack without concern of fade either. Not sure if he made an adjustment, or he pushed it way harder in the A2 main, but we were nose to tail the whole race and changed positions several times until his battery dumped on the second to last lap, only reason I didn't get my extra lap count was because I tried to push the #3 car who also dumped on his last lap to help him pick up a spot on the podium for combined A1+A2 results, but the RD saw what I was doing and ended the race just before I could push #3 truck across the finish line so neither of us scored the last lap. I suspect these guys may switch over to 3S soon enough, if not, I fear they may quit the class if they're not happy that I'm running 3S now

Either way, 2S is an epic fail IMO

*** Note that Jay was running a wheeler mixed in with us which is why his lap times were faster, but he just moved from the UK and didn't have his gearing right for an 8 min main and over heated in A1 and DNS for A2, not sure if he plans to get an SCT or will stick with 1/8 classes, time will tell.
Old 08-11-2020, 05:39 PM
Tech Fanatic

So far I love the class and just started out so I would like to see growth here or I might as well sell off into another buggy.
I donít race any roar sanctioned events yet which may change, one never knows..

The rules at my local track for sct is 2s with unlimited KV and can be 4.5t if you can find a sct or 1:8 variant, they ask drivers to limit to 3500kv on 3s just for simple drivability reasons. There are fouls and reasons for unreasonable un-sportsman like driving (possible demotion to novice class) IE no purposeful crashing allowed you can be demoted and pushed into a separate class that you have to find at least three drivers to compete with you and pay lol..
If you want to bash around there is a lot right next to the track.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.