Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road
Hobbywing Vs Castle Vs TP Power >

Hobbywing Vs Castle Vs TP Power

Hobbywing Vs Castle Vs TP Power

Old 08-09-2020, 12:12 PM
Tech Adept

Default Hobbywing Vs Castle Vs TP Power

Hi guys,

I just can't decide what would be the best upgrade for my Kraton...

I'm currently running a Hobbywing Max 6 on 6s, with a Rocket 4092 1650kv motor. To be honest it's actually a great setup, the motor was cheap as chips but I can get around 60mph on road, and 45mph on grass... No heat issues whatsoever.

However

I'm always on the quest for more speed, and would love to get 60mph on short grass. I just can't decide between any of these 3 motors. Which one would you pick?

#1: Hobbywing 4985 1650kv

#2: Castle 1717 1650kv

#3: TP Power 4070 2080kv (CM version is too expensive)

Thanks for any advice!
​​​​​​

Last edited by ReV:-O; 08-10-2020 at 02:50 AM.
Old 08-09-2020, 12:36 PM
Tech Elite

Id go with a not so wide tire then gear up what you have.. the 2200kv motor in 1/8 scale will also help
Old 08-09-2020, 01:04 PM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by the rc guy
Id go with a not so wide tire then gear up what you have.. the 2200kv motor in 1/8 scale will also help
I'm running pretty light and thin tires, currently geared for around 60mph. Any thoughts to the motor choices?
Old 08-10-2020, 02:51 AM
Tech Adept

Well, I went for the TP. Let's hope its up to the task!
Old 08-10-2020, 01:34 PM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by ReV:-O
Well, I went for the TP. Let's hope its up to the task!
The TP motor is up to the task, but whether or not the Max6 is, is a different story. It's a power hungry motor at 260amps maximum, although that's most likely running 8S lipo
If the Surpass motor had no heat problems, then throwing on the biggest pinion possible shouldn't be a problem

Oh and in regards to the TP "CM" series motors. They're for speed runs/drag racing, not suitable for bashing
Old 08-10-2020, 01:47 PM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by gavsta72
The TP motor is up to the task, but whether or not the Max6 is, is a different story. It's a power hungry motor at 260amps maximum, although that's most likely running 8S lipo
If the Surpass motor had no heat problems, then throwing on the biggest pinion possible shouldn't be a problem

Oh and in regards to the TP "CM" series motors. They're for speed runs/drag racing, not suitable for bashing
Even TP themselves couldn't explain to me why I couldn't use a CM motor for bashing. A brushless motor is a brushless motor - the CM series are just built stronger so they can spin up to 75k. Don't see how they'd be unable to be used as a strong bashing motor