Community
Wiki Posts
Search

comparison: XTM vs OFNA

Search this Thread

Old 12-09-2002, 10:56 AM
Tech Rookie

comparison: XTM vs OFNA

Aiight, I got a question for all you buggy gurus. XTM Xterminator or OFNA MP9.5 RTR? I've read in Car Action reviews of both, and I still can't come to a decision. The XTM's chassis looks a bit better layed out, it has a better steering servo, nice engine, etc... but the 9.5 has 4 brake discs, a slightly bigger block engine (.25), a failsafe, etc.

also, there's the fact that OFNA has been into making buggies (and lots of em) for years, whereas the Xterminator is XTM's first attempt at a buggy. don't get me wrong, it looks really friggin nice, but i'm not sure whether I should put my $500 to a company who's new to the whole buggy deal, and who never really made terribly good r/c trucks.

with all that said, and all that I have read, I can't decide which I would get... any opinions and facts are welcome and appreciated

Thanx
Brian
Old 12-09-2002, 03:07 PM
Dan
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 75 (100%+)

I would go for the Ofna. I think their design is better than the XTM too (9.5 resembles Kyosho 7.5 design.) Anyways, not many shops carry XTM parts and I think you should factor in this as well.

The quality of the XTM trucks from what I have seen aren't so great either. Haven't seen the buggy up close though. Just because it has a bigger engine, doesn't mean it is necessarily faster. The .25 should just add maybe a bit more torque.
Old 12-10-2002, 12:21 PM
Tech Rookie

the OFNA has a .25, and the XTM has the 24.7 (.24). i 've heard a LOT about the 24.7 and everything i've heard was that it was an amazing engine, likely better than the OFNA's .25.

anyone else have any opinions?
Old 12-10-2002, 01:40 PM
Tech Elite

Default Ofna vs XTM vs everything else.

KaBloowie!;

BOTH the Ofna and the XTM are on the lower end of the quality scale for buggies. The 9.5 would probably be the better choice of the two. Stay away from any of the older Ofna buggies, they are not any better than the XTM's.
For just a little bit more you could get a Mugen or Kyosho buggy kit. Kyosho has the 7.5 sport now.

Good luck and most of all Have Fun,
Old 12-10-2002, 03:09 PM
Tech Apprentice

yeah I'd get the 9.5 before the XTM simply because I believe the 9.5 will be a better racer but... I was skeptical of the 24.7 and all XTM products until I saw a 24.7 run. Now being the owner of two XTM 24.7's I have to say the 24.7 is just sick powerfull but also too the 24.7 runs hot and the heat sink head is only marginal and will break fins off if the head takes a hit. anyways because of that total 180 on my opinion of the 24.7 I can't quite write off the new XTM buggy as being junk so if you are just bashing I think either will be a great choice. lol.. well I guess that didn't help much..

John
Old 12-20-2002, 07:48 AM
Tech Rookie

Wink

I see where 1 person has the engine and mabye the buggy.
Does any one have they the package? I do and ofna has nothing on this truck including quality. Untill I see them race together
my money is in the x-terminator. Owner protection Rights
Old 12-21-2002, 11:48 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 23 (100%+)

I just picked up a 9.5 RTR and must say its a darn good buggy! I had a EB4 in the past but was very dissapointed at the chassis flex and lack of parts support for it. This is definetley better than the EB4's or kyosho 7.5 sports. This new 9.5 is a Kyosho 7.5 clone, hey a copy is the sincerest form of flattery right? Well it comes nicley equiped and you can get into one for alot cheeper than the Kyosho/mugen rides. I figure I'll run the PI$$ out of it and pick up the next hot buggy of tomorrow then.