Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road
RTR Electric off road truck/buggy recommendation >

RTR Electric off road truck/buggy recommendation

RTR Electric off road truck/buggy recommendation

Old 08-05-2020, 08:00 PM
Tech Initiate

Default RTR Electric off road truck/buggy recommendation

Hi all.
I'm I'm a big noob to all this so I'd like some advice if that's ok.
Story is months ago the boss was throwing a traxxas t-maxx 3.3 out that was slightly damaged and I did it up. I was playing with it but I couldn't get the hang of carburettor tuning and that, so I sold it for 120 but I'd already got the bug! Anyway way I'd like a off-road or field truck or buggy electric something that's not top heavy so it doesn't tip over or flip on the brakes, lowdown off-roader. I know there is E-MAXX and E-REVOs to choose from but is there any suitable cheaper models or other quality brands you have experience with that would be suitable as you lot are more knowledgeable than me. I'd probably be looking at around 300 - 350
I'd like it ready to run
Thank you for your advice.
Old 08-05-2020, 10:08 PM
Tech Apprentice

I don't think you can go wrong with the 1/8 kraton, by arrma which should fit in that budget. If it's a but out of range then the typhon 3s also by arrma.
Old 08-06-2020, 06:48 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 33 (97%+)

The ARRMA Senton would be in your price range and also an excellent choice, more info here:

Which 1/10 4WD SCT is best?
Old 08-06-2020, 07:40 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

I’d go with anything Arrma that fits your budget. The Traxxas Maxx is a good basher too.
Old 08-07-2020, 03:31 PM
Tech Initiate

I've been looking at the kraton and Typhon I like them. I see 4s 6s and 8s models . I know they're series battery configurations but what are the benefits of the different configs. Does it matter if I just want something to plod around the field? does the car have a multiple voltage range so you can put different series batteries in? And are the lower series batteries cheaper?
Old 08-07-2020, 03:58 PM
Tech Adept

8s model is much larger and will be substantially more expensive than 4s and 6s models. If you can afford it, the 6s models are much better quality and have more upgrades available than 4s models. Can run 4s, 6s and 8s in series by running 2 2s, 2 3s or 2 4s batteries. Running series isnt required-can use single 4s or 6s pack. Lower cell batteries are usually cheaper. The 6s model can run 4s or 6s batteries. 4s models run 3s or 4s batteries. Higher cell counts provide more power/speed on the same vehicle. 6s is 150% of 4s (others can provide more technical expertise on this) and the speed difference and power feels like more than that. Running higher cell count batteries will cause truck to break more often.

Battery requirements are usually based on size/weight of vehicle.
Old 08-07-2020, 04:21 PM
Tech Initiate

I see! So for me it'd make sense to get the 6s version and underrun it on 4s for longevity. I don't wanna be spending all the time!
​​​​
Old 08-07-2020, 06:45 PM
Tech Rookie

Arrma has great rtrs, don't think you will be disappointed with any of them
Old 08-07-2020, 08:04 PM
Tech Initiate

After a bit of research I've chosen to buy the Typhon 6s. I see u have to buy batteries separate. Is there really that much difference between the cheap and expensive battery models? My use case would be pottering about a field. I'd like the battery to last a while as well. Could you please suggest what battery make/models are any good, and what makes a good battery? Thanks for the advice!
​​​​​​
Old 08-07-2020, 09:42 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 67 (100%+)

On the lipos I would suggest at a minimum 5000mah and 50c discharge ratings. Gens Ace, SMC, even the graphine HobbyKing lipos will work for you. Mostly the lipo will last quite awhile as long as you have a decent charger, store them when not in use for long period of time, and not running the lipos down to low voltage cut off every time you run.
Price wise the higher the c rating the higher the cost and more mah means thicker/bigger lipos, something else to consider