Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road
How many of you have burned a brushless motor before? >

How many of you have burned a brushless motor before?

Like Tree5Likes

How many of you have burned a brushless motor before?

Old 08-04-2020, 03:16 PM
Tech Initiate

Default How many of you have burned a brushless motor before?

I'm thinking whether to buy a heat sink fan for my motor. Then, I realize the motor is so cheap. I can buy a new one from Ebay for like <$30. Do I really need to endure the extra noise and battery drain for such a fan?

I wonder if this happens often at all. It it does not happen often, who cares how hot the motor will be :-)
Old 08-04-2020, 04:11 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

It happens... Though usually it's because you have ran longer than your gearing allows... On a brand new motor, I start checking temps every 5 mins... Even on my EB410.2 in 80+ degree weather, I can run almost an entire pack and never breach 140 degrees... No fan on mine or the ESC... Once you overheat a motor, the life span starts to shrink. If it is geared correctly, and you have data on a fresh build what works, if the temps start getting higher than your data, then you are having mechanical issues; binding in your diffs or somewhere else... I like having a temp gun for this reason.

Just my 2 pennies worth.

SS
Smaug likes this.
Old 08-04-2020, 06:10 PM
Tech Initiate

Many thanks for sharing your experiences.

Originally Posted by SalmonShark View Post
It happens... Though usually it's because you have ran longer than your gearing allows... On a brand new motor, I start checking temps every 5 mins... Even on my EB410.2 in 80+ degree weather, I can run almost an entire pack and never breach 140 degrees... No fan on mine or the ESC... Once you overheat a motor, the life span starts to shrink. If it is geared correctly, and you have data on a fresh build what works, if the temps start getting higher than your data, then you are having mechanical issues; binding in your diffs or somewhere else... I like having a temp gun for this reason.

Just my 2 pennies worth.

SS
Old 08-05-2020, 05:23 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 32 (97%+)

heat sinks and fans are only necessary in stock racing, if you are running mod, then there is no reason why you can't properly gear the car to avoid thermaling the electronics:

What gearing for upgraded electronics?
Old 08-05-2020, 06:52 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

I have burned out brushed motors before and started to custom wind and balance new armatures. To be honest, I had less issues making and brazing my own blanks.

I have spectacular fails from both machine made, hand wound, and custom made from magnets shattering to bearings taking out the windings to literally starting on fire!!

I have yet to burn out a brushless in such a fashion.

There is in a sense no break in for brushless motors, if the poly coat insulation on the winding is going to fail it will practically right away. If you can not run your motor for at least 8 minuets without going over 140 then the gearing is wrong or maybe even the wrong motor for the application.

We need to know more about what you are running. ESC, battery, motor, RC car.. Bashing, racing??
mushroomed likes this.
Old 08-05-2020, 06:53 AM
Tech Elite

I have personally never burned a brushless motor.I always gear(or try to gear correctly).I decide what pinions and spur are gonna be I check temps like crazy I then will drop it on a track,or where ever I want the rc to be used
Smaug likes this.
Old 08-05-2020, 12:07 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Juglenaut View Post
I have burned out brushed motors before and started to custom wind and balance new armatures. To be honest, I had less issues making and brazing my own blanks.

I have spectacular fails from both machine made, hand wound, and custom made from magnets shattering to bearings taking out the windings to literally starting on fire!!
Could you share where you purchased blanks and supplies for winding your own armatures? I'd like to give it a try.
Old 08-05-2020, 02:38 PM
Tech Fanatic

Used to be able to buy the blanks right from trinity, reedy, etc..
Not to sure anymore.. used to have a comm lathe, brush breaker, mini drill press modified to hold armatures. I used epoxy towards the end of all that.

I can look around and see if I can find some info.
Old 08-05-2020, 05:41 PM
Tech Fanatic

Looks like Integy has 540 size brushed 3 slot motor 4mm web blanks.

Team Brood, May have to contact directly.
mushroomed likes this.
Old 08-06-2020, 06:43 AM
Tech Initiate

Many thanks!

My truck is a Traxxas Stampede 4x4 with lots of aluminum upgrades (so it is a little heavier than the stock version). The battery I use is 2S lipo. I just bought a HobbyWing max8 WP ESC (120A), and will receive my 3660 3800KV motor soon. The truck will primarily be used for bashing.

Originally Posted by Juglenaut View Post
We need to know more about what you are running. ESC, battery, motor, RC car.. Bashing, racing??
Old 08-07-2020, 05:48 PM
Tech Rookie

I've never burned a brushless motor before, probably because I check temps frequently when testing out new gearing.
Old 08-07-2020, 10:21 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 20 (100%+)

I have cooked a couple but it was never the fault of the motor. It was a smoked bearing, or other load issue that cause the motor to get hot and fail.
rustyus likes this.
Old 08-09-2020, 03:12 AM
Tech Rookie

Depends on weather. I still believe that a heatsink and a fan is a MUST for BL motors.
Old 08-09-2020, 09:23 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 96 (100%+)

Originally Posted by rcpress View Post
Depends on weather. I still believe that a heatsink and a fan is a MUST for BL motors.
Even with 120+ degree weather, in 1:8 E-buggy running 1900-2000 KV, a fan is not needed if your setup is correct, same goes for 1:12.
Old 08-11-2020, 06:06 AM
Tech Adept

I have a similar setup in my Stampede 4x4: Castle SCT 3800 KV with a Hobbywing ESC, though I think mine is the 6S. Your ESC seems like overkill; I don't know how you're going to fit both the motor and ESC in there...

I don't run a fan or even a heatsink. I geared it down a bit to keep temps in check. It gets hot, but Castle motors can handle more heat than the generic Chinese ones. The only thing I'd change would be to get a motor more in the 3300-3500 range, as 3800 is a bit too fast for my taste, and there aren't a lot of small pinion options. I'm already running the biggest spur it'll take, and a 10T pinion, I think. I'd rather gear down and lose a little speed than put a motor fan on; it's already pretty tight in there. Mine goes maybe 28 mph or so. (2S)

I don't even like that ESCs need fans now. If I have room, I'd rather have a bigger ESC with a bigger heatsink and skip the fans altogether, as they're a common failure point. That costs speed though.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.