Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road
Truck racing where we go from here >

Truck racing where we go from here

Like Tree19Likes

Truck racing where we go from here

Old 07-22-2020, 07:33 AM
Tech Fanatic

Smile Truck racing where we go from here

Hey all: just wondering what the status of truck racing is at the moment? To me it looks like mod truck will always get a strong field at events but the two and four wheel drive sc classes seem to have fallen off why? Also it seems like 4wd electric truggy is gaining momentum so will it stay a viable class? 😊
Old 07-22-2020, 11:35 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Short Course Trucks brought a lot of new people into the hobby. Some moved on to other classes, most moved on to other hobbies. The demolition derby mentality of the SCT classes meant they were never going to stay popular. People don't want to be crashed into a bunch when they race, so the ones interested in racing moved to other classes, and the ones that want to crash into each other got bored and left the hobby.

Classes will be hit and miss for club racing, but typically they will lump all 2wd trucks together. 1/10th scale truggies are popular enough for their own class, but eventually most places will lump them in with 4wd SCT's if there are not enough for them to run separately.
AHR43 and aspiringracer like this.
Old 07-22-2020, 02:16 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 102 (100%+)

Truck racing has always been a "2nd class" for most people. from the 1/10th perspective, trucks (2wd) started as conversion kits from buggies (I'm talking mid to late 80's). at this time 2wd buggy was king and 4wd buggy and stadium truck were competing for attention in the US). At large national/international events 2wd 1//10 buggy and 4wd 1/10 buggy have been THE classes/platforms run. Other classes come and go. the SCT craze, started by the slash, started in 2008. As stated above it brought a lot of people to the track/hobby (they looked like trucks and you could hit stuff without guaranteeing a flip over)

4wd 1/10 stadium truck truggie will be "the thing" for a little while. 2wd stadium truck, 2wd sct, and 4wd sct will most likely not "go away" but local tracks can only support so many classes (as can most of our individual budgets). Since trucks don't get classes at most "Major Events" interest goes down (or maybe interest goes down locally, so major events don't offer the class?)

Trucks are generally easier to drive than buggies, but a buggy is "the" RC platform and often regarded and the F1/top tier of RC.

SCT does not need to be a hackfest, but it becomes that. on-road sedans have the same "covered wheels/fenders" of SCT but they manage to generally "keep it clean". This does not carry to SCT unfortunately, the "rubbing is racing" or "hey that's a hack and pass shortbus maneuver" attitude in races reduces the enjoyment for most.

Don't forget people are also drawn to "new" and shiny so a new class draws tire kickers.
Old 07-22-2020, 02:26 PM
Tech Prophet

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

17.5 2wheel SCT is a very clean run class in my area. 4wheel mod SCT looks both fun and crazy.
Old 07-22-2020, 03:53 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

Good question and lots of good responses. I race at Trackside in Milwaukee WI. About an hour drive for us. We also race at a lesser known track that's more local. Smaller facility but decent track...some will argue...but it's fine for decent club race .
There and at TS have strong 2wd stock truck class. It's a great class. The "problem" is racers always wanna go faster. The trucks cant get in and out of corners like a buggy, so you buy stuff and do setups to make your sct more like a buggy.
Some of the up and downs of sct is modern track surfaces. Everything is high grip. I've seen and heard people for a long time say,,,well this track has no grip, this sucks". Well ....it doesnt. As long as the track stays a consistent med grip then, well, that's racing. Then theres carpet track.... Yes its fast and clean, I like that part. But it leaves no room for error. No setups, no.....nothing..At the pro level, your tuning window is so narrow. The buggies are on the ragged edge every corner. Then you race a 2wd sct on carpet...see what I mean? Now I'm not saying that's a bad thing at all. Carpet is convenient, clean and some will say Its going to be even more prevalent in years to come. That's fine. It's just, sct was designed to be a fun class. Big tuning windows, bump and bang a little bit. But its turned into a hackefest sometimes because it's a beginner class. It's not just a beginner class. But it's one that a lot of rookies enter as their first real taste of racing. Some racers think it's fun to hack and they dont understand the meaning of racecraft and track manners. It pisses a lot of racers off, so they switch classes.
SCT is always going to be up and down in popularity. I dont think it will go away like stadium truck. Also, I have a problem with 4wd sct on indoor clay tracks. It's just too dangerous. I dont wanna sound like an old fogey here, but its nukkin futs.. Some tracks wont allow them. And with the popularity of outdoor tracks in the gutter, well there ya go.
These are just like, my opinions, man.🙂
Billy Kelly and phattracker like this.
Old 07-22-2020, 05:12 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 102 (100%+)

I totally agree with Drummer (and in may be a little off topic) but maybe that "large tuning window" on outdoor tracks for the SCT is what I liked about it. running a SCT outdoors on dirt in the early 2010's was a lot like driving my RC10 team car in the early 90's. SCT were really made for dirt not high bite clay/carpet. and just to sound old, I miss dirt track (even loose dirt) racing
mes and phattracker like this.
Old 07-23-2020, 06:06 AM
Tech Adept

With the right setup, SCT's can be run on high grip clay competitively. I have not run on carpet to comment on that aspect of racing, but I am wondering if the expectation of a SCT to handle like a 2wd buggy might not be realistic.I raced pan cars in the 80's. I remember when the rc10t and the Losi equivalent came out. I liked the class, but could not get one. I was allowed to race my big brute, it was an interesting race, I did win c main with my big brute. It did not handle well at all, but i had good lines and made the best of it.
Old 07-23-2020, 06:22 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 19 (100%+)

Just got a Losi SCTe 2.0 and plan on racing it very soon.

The track near where I live is considered low bite multi surface, however mostly dry medium to loose clay with several hard packed areas and grooves. Last weekend both my rc cars at this track were set up wrong and both rcís are getting reset.
Old 07-23-2020, 06:45 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 33 (97%+)

In my area, SCT was the most popular class about a year ago, then it was Mini-Truggy, but now most folks are running 1/8 eBuggy... this progression seems to be related to several factors where I believe the 1/8 classes are getting longer 10 min mains and the 1/10 classes are only getting 8 min mains, so negative reinforcement is partially to blame. There's no reason why ROAR can't allow 3S for 4WD SCT which would eliminate so many electrical issues that plague the class. Folks get frustrated with overheating their electronics and less durable options in 1/10 in general, it's no surprise to see folks opting to run vastly more efficient 6S setups in 1/8 eBuggy without any concern for temps, power, durability, performance, etc...

If you want the truck classes to be sustainable, then you need to relax the lame 2S restrictions imposed on the class.
Old 07-23-2020, 07:06 AM
Tech Master

Remember that tv show.... Pinks....... There ya go.....LOL
Old 07-23-2020, 07:48 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

I don't mind updating 4WD SCT to allow for 3S but that would be more an exception than the rule because 1/10 drivetrains (particularly 2WD) probably could not handle that the power of 3S (even in SCT).

As for what to do with truck racing...Im not entirely sure. We have a nice contingent of stadium truck racers at my track. Stock Slash is evolving into the novice class but the novices for the most part run 2wd buggy so hopefully we can separate the two as more young people (and young at heart) get them although Traxxas does have some stock delays at the current moment on the 12T w/XL-5 models.

As for the racing, with the full scale short course racing, they do have bumping and banging (even in the Stadium Super Trucks) so having some probably wouldn't be a bad thing, but there will need to be some action by the race directors to penalize excessive and intentional bumping and "hacking" with some appropriate in race and post race consequences.
AHR43 likes this.
Old 07-23-2020, 09:10 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 33 (97%+)

Originally Posted by trackdesigner71 View Post
I don't mind updating 4WD SCT to allow for 3S but that would be more an exception than the rule because 1/10 drivetrains (particularly 2WD) probably could not handle that the power of 3S (even in SCT).
I believe there is a misconception here where the amount of power output would be roughly the same whether running 2S or 3S, it comes down to selecting an appropriate KV motor.

For 2WD you limit to a 3650 can 2 pole
For a 4WD Mini Truggy I recommend 3650 4 pole where 4 poles offer more torque for same amount of power drawn
For 4WD you limit to a 3660 can
For 1/8 buggy you limit to a 4268 can
for 1/8 truggy you limit to a 4274 can

Typically a 4WD SCT uses around a 4000KV motor on 2S where the same power can be drawn with a 3000KV motor on 3S or a 2000KV motor on 4S, no change to gearing necessary but what is happening is you are reducing the amount of current for the same power output where reduced current improves efficiency which also reduces temps across the entire circuit from battery to ESC to motor. Many folks are running 1300KV motors on 6S for the ultimate efficiency. This is called "Watts Law":

Watts = Volts x Amps

You want to keep Watts a constant, that is the power drawn, I once ran a 17.5T motor on 4S in my Tamiya BFX, no issue at all with that drive train supporting 4S for this 2WD Truck:

AHR43 and killer rock like this.
Old 07-23-2020, 03:42 PM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by b-man777 View Post
Hey all: just wondering what the status of truck racing is at the moment? To me it looks like mod truck will always get a strong field at events but the two and four wheel drive sc classes seem to have fallen off why? Also it seems like 4wd electric truggy is gaining momentum so will it stay a viable class? 😊
As for me and my racing program, 1/10 Stadium Truck is alive and well. 2WD. Have five RC10T's and a Rustler in active series competition on the back yard track.

Locally, regionally, nationally and internationally, 13.5 MOD ST to has a representation. How long that will last is anyone's guess. Good seeing it represents the 2WD gang in open wheel competition. Always been an open wheel guy here, so SC never appealed to me that much. Always kind of thought of SC as 1/9 scale anyway. A bit big for 1/10, and not quite 1/8. But enough bigger to run on the larger 1/8 outdoor tracks of the time. By and large, SC put 1/10 ST into the shade and off a bit for those that were not into buggy.

Fickle RC truck racing is. Never know from year-to-year. Here today, gone tomorrow. For me, my ST are isolated from mainstream changes. So my racing program is unaffected. For those looking to move classes, deciding on a truck class is a crap-shoot. Anyway, that's my 2cents.

Cheers and good [Truck] Racing. 'AC'
billdelong likes this.
Old 07-23-2020, 06:51 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

For what its worth I have a XXX-T Matt Francis 1.5 that I run whenever I can. I recently rebuilt it and got a new body to run my current paint scheme. I also upgraded the shocks to the ones off a 22T.

Recently I've given into the dark side and built my first 4wd SCT. My interpretation of an Associated SC10 4x4 Factory Team. It has a litany of Exotek upgrades, including the main chassis. I took the best of three trucks and as many new parts as I had to build something a bit different than the shaft drive trucks of today.

I have a loose dirt track in my back yard, so I get in plenty of laps on the best surface.
AHR43 and HOTROD716 like this.
Old 06-24-2021, 02:38 PM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by b-man777 View Post
About half way through building a PR Racing ST kit and am having second thoughts. Very possibly may shelf it as a roller. What I am seeing is the selection of 2.2 ST tires thinning, with focus becoming hard clay and/or carpet. Thankfully, JCconcepts continues to breathe life into the ST class at 13.5 level regionally and nationally. Albeit, with a tire selection less than compatible with loose dirt outdoor tracks, or, in my case, grass. Don't want to be the last man standing in 2.2 ST, even with my back yard track isolated from mainstream R/C as it is.

Very possible may try a 2WD SC. Never thought I'd see myself keyboarding that. Big driver for that consideration is a more diverse tire selection. I'll have to amend my rules package to incorporate SC into a ST program. But am thinking try one on an interim, waivered basis for the 2022 season and see what shakes out.

What or your thoughts in updating this thread on where truck racing is going in your locale? Cheers. 'AC'

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2022 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.