Wiki Posts
Search

Brushless System advice arrma granite 4x4

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-2020, 10:11 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)
Default Brushless System advice arrma granite 4x4

So I have been out of the hobby for a couple years, with all the corona virus stuff that has been going on I decided I wanted to get something I could bash around with, I have owned a ton of different vehicles (associated, losi, HPI, traxxas, tamiya, and so on) I was obviously not the only person with this idea and vehicles were scarce. I really wanted a brushless 4wd monster truck powered by a single 2s or 3s Lipo that I could beat on with out too much worry about breakage. I was able to find the granite in stock on amain some time back but only the brushed version, knowing it doesnt take much to upgrade to brushless and me being impatient I went ahead and ordered it. I like the truck alot and I think will be a good fit in the long run but it isnt as fast/powerful as I would like. So I am looking at brushless setups and there are a lot of brands that I do not recognize and would like some reccomendations. Ideally I would like something that can push this truck without having to worry about overheating too much that I would run on 2s primarily and an occasional 3s run and living in Oregon waterproof or resistant is a big plus, I am open to new or used setups what is out there that I could get my hands on for under $150? Thanks for any advice and for taking the time to read the post.
Old 07-17-2020, 08:59 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 33 (97%+)

I would not waffle between 2S and 3S, I recommend picking one dedicated setup for best results so you don't have to jack with gearing, etc...

This is what I would buy for myself if I was in your situation today:

Motor: 3660-2600KV - Note this comes with a 3.17mm shaft so you can use the same pinion with your stock brushed motor
Battery: 3S-5200mAh - Note this uses 5mm bullets so you can easily get an adapter for your desired connector style without having to solder anything
ESC: HobbyStar 80A - Note this comes with the same deans connector as the battery above, just need to make sure your charger has a deans plug

High recommend you read the following threads:Good Luck!
Old 07-19-2020, 01:56 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)

thanks for the reply, I would like to maintain the flexibilty on battery i can get those sorted out and the charger, as far as the esc/motor why would you reccomend a sensorless setup? Have they gotten much better? I had some in the past and they seemed to bind or bog easily and I switched to sensored but again this was like 5 years ago. I have never heard of hobbystar before are they a reputable brand? I have had in the past some bigger brands ie velineon, tekin, novak, mamba and even a few hobby wing and trackstar models over the years would these be on par?
Old 07-19-2020, 04:33 AM
Tech Elite

id go with this combo..
https://www.rotorron.com/product/hob...d-to-cart=3885
as for a charger id go with the M8 by toolkit.less than 50 all you will need is a power supply..12v 30 amps.then a squid with your batter/esc connector of choice. I like the XT 90
Old 07-19-2020, 06:27 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 33 (97%+)

Sensorless is best for bashers for having waterproof electronics will tend to last longer with fewer points of failure, less complexity and less expensive.

Provided you are not crawling, the cogging from sensorless typically happens at initial throttle in the 0-25% range which is moot for most bashers. If you will be racing on a tight technical race track, then a sensorless system would do much better where precise throttle control is more important, but most bashers tend to go whiskey throttle, hence why sensorless will do just fine.

HobbyStar also offers sensored systems as well, in fact I currently race with HobbyStar electronics in my TEKNO SCT410, more info here:
https://www.teknoforums.com/threads/...sct410-3.1389/

When it comes to the ESC, I stick with HobbyWing, that has been the most reliable brand for me out of over a dozen brands of ESC's I have used over the past 10+ years I've been club racing.

Old 07-20-2020, 10:01 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

I have a Granite Mega that I have upgraded to brushless. For power, I picked up a cheap Racerstar combo, 80a ESC/ 3660 3800kv motor. The motor is good, but the Racerstar / GoolRC ESCs tend to be crap, and not waterproof. I recently picked up a Castle MambaX to replace the Racerstar ESC, but have not installed it. If I were to start over now, I would probably look for a Hobbywing Max10SCT with the 3660 3200kv combo. Waterproof, good power, very programmable, medium cost.

For performance, the 3800kv is pretty quick on 2s, and mostly Over-Powered on 3s. By OP, I mean, wheelie on demand, at any speed. Can't find top speed because around mid-40's, it wheelies and crashes. Backflips on small jumps are easy. on 2s, it is still pretty fast, but a lot tamer, very controllable, still loads of fun.

If you want a sensored system that is also waterproof, check out the Castle Mamba X with the 1410 or 1415 motors. Not cheap, but one of the few waterproof sensored combos you can get. The 1410 need conservative gearing, as it tends to run hot. the 1415 is low KV@2600kv, so you will need either 3s or pretty tall gearing.

For the upgrade, you will (at a minimum) want to buy the HD17T diff input for the rear diff. If you can find the parts, upgrading to the BLX slipper/spur/motor mount would be a good idea. If you can carefully set the slipper, you can get the stock spur and diff input to last a while, but they will fail.