Whats a good Charger >

Whats a good Charger

Whats a good Charger

Old 07-13-2020, 04:11 PM
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)
Questions?? Whats a good Charger

Hey Guys!
I've been out of the RC Hobby for quite a few yrs now, suddenly i got the itch again but i'm just going to get a budget beater something to thrash in my driveway every now and then.
That being said I'm looking for an inexpensive charger that will be better than the USB chargers that come with alot of the budget cars these days.
I'd say i'd like to spend 60-90 bucks on one but then i find a bunch of them on Ebay for 35 bucks or so. So lets say my budget is 20-50 bucks.
I'm not sure what is a decent charger for Small 7.4v 1500-2000Mah batteries. I hadjust gotten into LiPo/brushless stuff when i was last in this hobby (2012ish) so i'm really unfamiliar with Lipo Tech.
Can ya'll Give some Recommendations?

Rock on!!
JRockZ

Old 07-14-2020, 03:53 AM
Tech Apprentice

Originally Posted by JRockZ View Post
Hey Guys!
I've been out of the RC Hobby for quite a few yrs now, suddenly i got the itch again but i'm just going to get a budget beater something to thrash in my driveway every now and then.
That being said I'm looking for an inexpensive charger that will be better than the USB chargers that come with alot of the budget cars these days.
I'd say i'd like to spend 60-90 bucks on one but then i find a bunch of them on Ebay for 35 bucks or so. So lets say my budget is 20-50 bucks.
I'm not sure what is a decent charger for Small 7.4v 1500-2000Mah batteries. I hadjust gotten into LiPo/brushless stuff when i was last in this hobby (2012ish) so i'm really unfamiliar with Lipo Tech.
Can ya'll Give some Recommendations?

Rock on!!
JRockZ
A lot of forum members might suggest that you buy a DC charger and MacGyver up your own 12VDC power supply. If you want to save yourself the hassle just buy one of these, they come with an in-built power supply and are good for up to 8A/80W.

https://www.skyrc.com/e680
Old 07-14-2020, 06:29 AM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by maxwolfie View Post
A lot of forum members might suggest that you buy a DC charger and MacGyver up your own 12VDC power supply. If you want to save yourself the hassle just buy one of these, they come with an in-built power supply and are good for up to 8A/80W.

I have the Traxxas branded version of that one. It wasn't out long, as it was just before they started with their proprietary plug. It's a good charger.
Old 07-14-2020, 07:18 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 32 (97%+)

Which charger is the best?
Old 07-14-2020, 06:51 PM
Tech Apprentice

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by maxwolfie View Post

Thanks i Appreciate that, With shipping we're close to $100 though I'm thinking of spending maybe $60 max.
Man its been awhile i'm not sure why but i just dont like the chargers there are now. Last one i had a few yrs back was an Onyx and it had some good charging options but i never could get it to charge stuff right, maybe im to old or to dumb to figure these things out lol. I remember my first ever RC's, Marui Big Bear and Marui Ninja and they came with (or i bought separately) a dial /timer and you set it to 20 mins and it would charge your battery from your cars lighter socket or battery! If the battery was warm yuo were good to go! Ahhh the good old days.
I guess i want one that is AC/DC or at least AC so i can charge from home.
Had a few PM's with some options too so thanks all ya'll! I'll keep looking.

Rock on!
JRockZ

Old 07-15-2020, 08:16 AM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 85 (100%+)

Try and think long term here. The difference between $60 and $100 looks like a lot when you stare at the numbers but it's nothing over a span of a few years. We can't even get a set of tires/wheels for the difference. Good electronics are a longer term investment so if there are certain performance metrics you'd like from your charger (2 charging Channels, a minimum wattage, discharge capability, etc.) decide what you need and commit to what getting those things costs.

I own a small 2 channel ac/DC charger by Ultra Power (their stuff may look "familiar", I think they make chargers for many brands) that was economical. When I decided I wanted more discharge power, I found a small, separate discharge device that got the job done and my setup is still small and lightweight.

Last edited by Davidka; 07-15-2020 at 10:11 AM.
Old 07-15-2020, 08:31 AM
Tech Rookie

CS-Electronic Space X3-Competition DUO Charger 12V/240V -2 x 16A/600W- LiHV-

Old 07-15-2020, 09:17 PM
Tech Regular

Check out the HTRC C240. Its a dual charger, 240w power, 10a charge rate, charge up to 6s batteries (I think, not looking at the specs right now). I bought 1 6 months ago as its cheap with great specs (for the price). It works really well. My only concern is longevity since it was so cheap, but so far so good.

I got mine from Banggood, it should get close to your $60 mark delivered.
Old 07-16-2020, 09:53 AM
Tech Initiate

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

i can second the HTRC charger. I picked up the T240 DUO for 90 shipped, i tried just squeaking by with a 50 dollar ish charger and just stood around waiting for batteries to charge. its worth the little extra as some have said to get a little nicer charger.
Old 07-17-2020, 06:33 PM
Tech Adept

iCharger
Old 07-19-2020, 09:18 AM
Tech Apprentice

Hey guys thanks i wound up buying a couple used buggys and included is a charger so i'm no loger looking but i do appreciate all your help.
Thanks

Rock on!
JRockZ