Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road
Tekno SCT410.3 vs Proline Pro-SC >

Tekno SCT410.3 vs Proline Pro-SC

Like Tree3Likes

Tekno SCT410.3 vs Proline Pro-SC

Old 07-11-2020, 10:21 AM
Tech Adept

Default Tekno SCT410.3 vs Proline Pro-SC

Iíve been in the hobby for 9 years and read RCTech a lot over the years but just now signed up.

Iíve been thinking of a Tekno sct410.3 or Proline pro-sc. I like some options on the Proline like the 17mm hexes, but afraid Proline will discontinue it and it seems to need more expensive upgrades. Itís for bashing only. Thoughts or recommendations between the two?

Thinking of outfitting either with a Hobbywing Max10, 2600 kv (4268 size) motor or something similar, Reefs servo, and other recommended upgrades like TBone front/rear bumpers, steel CVD pins, upgraded A block, aluminum chassis braces (M2C center chassis brace looks discontinued). Read Bill Delongís build thread and he gave a good list of required upgrades.

Has anyone used the Turnigy xk motors? Looks like decent option & cheaper. With the 2400 Ė 2800 kv motors, I think 3s is the sweet spot but like to have the 2s & 4s option. Is a 3660-size motor in the 3200 - 4000kv range better?

Thanks for all your help.
Old 07-11-2020, 01:23 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

I was so close to dropping some cash on a proline pro fusion sct.

I felt like the proline was an excellent compromise between rtr’s and kits. The only thing that kept me from getting one is the overall parts support.

I like the the idea of a steel spine.
Rcdad42 likes this.
Old 07-11-2020, 01:25 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

You would have to run the esc within its design motor over limits within the battery class. Make sure you get a motor that will run at 4s.

the max10 I believe can only run 2s/3s at above 3000kv 3656 series motors. So I am thinking you mean the Max10 sct.

I agree 3s is perfect for sct
Old 07-11-2020, 04:58 PM
Tech Addict

Having owned both in the past, I can tell you the Tekno is the far better option hands down
Solid build, and plenty of parts support. The Proline just doesn't compare

As for the electronics, if you want to run a 4268 motor, I would suggest using the Max8. There is a Max8/4268 2600kv combo available
Old 07-11-2020, 05:23 PM
Tech Adept

Sorry, I meant the max10 sct. Thanks for the he clarification.

I like the Max8 but was thinking the 10 because it's smaller. Would mostly be running 3s.

I was thinking Tekno better quality also but Proline gets good reviews. Didn't think there was much aftermarket for Proline.

Has anyone tried the proline hyrax scxl tires for sct? They are about 1/4 taller than typical sct tires but i really like the look. Concern is extra height would prevent chassis from bottoming out.
Old 07-11-2020, 05:41 PM
Tech Addict

Yeah the Max10 SCT should be fine on 3S, and even 4S if you decide to later on

The Tekno is way better quality all round, with the added bonus of being able to use the buggy and truggy standard/option parts for a custom build.
You can even go the route of a full custom bullet proof basher with M2C parts https://m2cracing.net/22-tekno

All I can say is you won't be disappointed with the Tekno at all
Old 07-12-2020, 09:29 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 33 (97%+)

From a racers perspective, TEKNO is the clear winner simply because it has more tuning options, from a basher's perspective, it's pretty much a wash on durability, though consider that TEKNO has a broader range of aftermarket upgrades from companies like TBone Racing and M2C to make it a basher's delight. More than likely you'll get better part support from TEKNO, plus they offer a 50% Lifetime Warranty making TEKNO less expensive to maintain over the long haul.
gavsta72 likes this.

Last edited by billdelong; 07-12-2020 at 11:36 AM.
Old 07-12-2020, 10:40 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

My guess (I don't have any information) is that PL will discontinue the Pro-SC Fusion in the not too distant future.
Old 07-15-2020, 03:46 PM
Tech Adept

With the big price drop, I'm wondered if the pro-sct is set for the chopping block also.

I was concerned the proline hyrax sct tires were more for desert trucks but they listed them for the Tekno. I'm thinking/ hoping that means the extra height isnt too much to keep chassis from bottoming out. I really like their looks and tread pattern looks good.
Old 07-20-2020, 01:57 PM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by mosquito View Post
Iíve been in the hobby for 9 years and read RCTech a lot over the years but just now signed up.

Iíve been thinking of a Tekno sct410.3 or Proline pro-sc. I like some options on the Proline like the 17mm hexes, but afraid Proline will discontinue it and it seems to need more expensive upgrades. Itís for bashing only. Thoughts or recommendations between the two?

Thinking of outfitting either with a Hobbywing Max10, 2600 kv (4268 size) motor or something similar, Reefs servo, and other recommended upgrades like TBone front/rear bumpers, steel CVD pins, upgraded A block, aluminum chassis braces (M2C center chassis brace looks discontinued). Read Bill Delongís build thread and he gave a good list of required upgrades.

Has anyone used the Turnigy xk motors? Looks like decent option & cheaper. With the 2400 Ė 2800 kv motors, I think 3s is the sweet spot but like to have the 2s & 4s option. Is a 3660-size motor in the 3200 - 4000kv range better?

Thanks for all your help.
Don't know anything about the Proline truck or the motors you are talking about: however I do Know Tekno AND have been racing the original version of the SCT410 now for 7 years and other than bearings and maintenance items I've replaced only two broken parts. Get a Tekno - even for bashing!!!. I know Bill and he builds great stuff and is a great racer so he knows what he is talking about when it comes to TEKNO and setup. As far as motors goes I use the Tekin PRO4 4300HD. Its a 550 can 4 pole motor with lots of torque and because I race at locations with different battery rules I've run that motor with 2, 3, and 4 cell batteries. I know you are not suppose to but I got tired of changing out the motor each time I went to a different track so I just detune it with my radio when I run it with more than a 2 cell battery (no other changes except I change the ESC for the number of cells). Unless you are looking to set a land speed record, its probably all the motor you will need. The tracks I've run on here are not hard surface, high traction tracks and even with 2S batteries I've never yet unleased all the potential of that motor - the truck is much faster (and controllable) if the wheels are not just spinning in the dirt.
billdelong likes this.
Old 07-20-2020, 02:16 PM
Tech Adept

Thanks for the good input.

That's brave running the 4300 on 4s but I Iike it. I've had Tekin stuff in the past and they make high quality stuff for sure. I can't justify Tekin prices for a basher though. For the price of a pro4 I can almost get a Hobbywing esc and 4065 size 2700 kv motor.

The xk motors are Turnigy motors from Hobbyking. I've never tried them but a 3665 size 3150 kv motor for $40 seems like a good deal. Even if it only gives 90% of performance of top motors, I'll accept that for a basher.
Old 07-20-2020, 02:43 PM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by mosquito View Post
Thanks for the good input.

That's brave running the 4300 on 4s but I Iike it. I've had Tekin stuff in the past and they make high quality stuff for sure. I can't justify Tekin prices for a basher though. For the price of a pro4 I can almost get a Hobbywing esc and 4065 size 2700 kv motor.

The xk motors are Turnigy motors from Hobbyking. I've never tried them but a 3665 size 3150 kv motor for $40 seems like a good deal. Even if it only gives 90% of performance of top motors, I'll accept that for a basher.
Yea they are high $ but I didn't mention it but that is the same motor I've run for just about all those 7 years, just changed out the bearings and kept it clean. I'm not so much into the performance aspect but I like the ESC features especially the data logger. But I'm a racer not a basher and those features are very valuable to me. For example when I raced Vantage TransAM (VTA) a few years back they had a spec ESC. When they opened Up the ESC rule to allow ROAR approved ESCs in blinky mode, I put in my Tekin ESC and quickly learned I didn't have my transmitter set up correctly, the data logger showed me I was only getting 85% throttle. Is Tekin ESCs better than others from a performance perspective - I don't know; but I'm willing to pay extra for that data logger feature (being able to see every 1/10 second of a race the rpm, throttle position, voltage, motor and ESC temps helps in so many ways to help tune/gear the motor)
Old 07-21-2020, 02:40 PM
Tech Adept

7 years is impressive. It's a good reminder that high quality and maintenance are worth the price.
Old 08-01-2020, 01:02 PM
Tech Adept

Default Surpass motors

I thought I saw somewhere that the Surpass motors were good - either brushed or brushless. Can anyone confirm that? Dont see a thread on them.
Old 08-01-2020, 06:23 PM
Tech Rookie

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Default Pro-Fusion SC

Back to the OG re support of the Pro-Fusion SC. I talked with Pro-Line support a week or so ago. The Fusion SC is being discontinued. Current sales are to phase out the model. Part support from Pro-Line and others is limited. However, it was stated parts support availability was estimated to be a four year supply of parts. Made my choice of the 410.3 easy. Also, PL support did add they offer a somewhat unannounced promotion offering the Fusion SC as an RTR for $499 (I believe). The only way to get it is to call PL direct and inquire.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.