3rd shock? I raise you 4-link. COVID Lunchbox build. Pic heavy

Like Tree13Likes

3rd shock? I raise you 4-link. COVID Lunchbox build. Pic heavy

Old 06-21-2020, 07:55 PM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)
Cool 3rd shock? I raise you 4-link. COVID Tamiya Lunchbox build. Pic heavy

Hello all!

With a lack of things to do during the pandemic I have gotten a few projects to work on. I've gotten to the point where I have pretty much all the cars I want for racing so I have been getting cars I wanted as a kid. One of which being a Tamiya Lunchbox. When I got it I was quite underwhelmed with its performance. I know that's part of the fun for the Lunchbox but I cant leave well enough alone. I have to tinker.

I knew the rear end could be better and went about trying to find a way to make the rear suspension better. I started with piggyback shocks from HotRacing. That was a big improvement over the stock plastic non-dampened ones. Still I knew I could do better so I started looking into how I could make it 4-link. I wanted to stay Tamiya if possible. After searching quite a while I couldn't find a Tamiya center trans that I could use so I settled on a HPI Venture FJ center trans. For the rear axle I was able to stay with Tamiya (style) and got a CC01 axle from Xtra Speed. I got upgraded gears made by GPM. It took a bit to get the trans in but I cut bit by bit till it fit as low and centered as possible in the tub chassis. It is secured by some M3 rod and aluminum tube. The links were made the same way. Performance was night and day! BUT...that still wasn't enough...

The front suspension still bothered me. It is independent but not double wishbone so as it compresses the tires bow inward. This was especially problematic as the already terrible turn radius was made non existent at the bottom of travel. Fortunately Maker AMPro Engineering had a solution. 3-D printed double wishbone arms and new C-hubs. These were easy to install and required no actual modification.

I finished the body with a full light kit and taillight kit also from AMPro. All the flashers and tail lights work too.

With all these mods the truck runs better than I could have hoped. The turn radius still isn't great but is better than stock. It no longer wants to flip in a high speed corner. It floats rather than bounces over bumps. The trans is smooth and has plenty of torque and speed with a 17.5 motor. I still need to find a wheelie bar for it as without one it has a tendency to flip over backwards. Other than that its done and will mostly retire to a shelf cause its too pretty to break.

Reverse light

Last edited by Ominex; 07-20-2020 at 09:23 PM.
Old 06-21-2020, 08:46 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

That thing is sweet. Good job!
Old 06-21-2020, 08:57 PM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Originally Posted by big ted
That thing is sweet. Good job!
Thanks! Next project is one of those WPL C24's. Or I could just finish the three other projects in the works...
Old 06-21-2020, 10:45 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 19 (100%+)

Pretty amazing! You've got to drive it a little, at least, and take some video... Very curious to know how the chassis performs.

Nice work!
Old 06-22-2020, 09:53 AM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Originally Posted by smirkracing
Pretty amazing! You've got to drive it a little, at least, and take some video... Very curious to know how the chassis performs.

Nice work!
Ill see if I can get some footage. I wish i had a nice beach to take it to. I think I'm gonna have to buy a spare body so I dont destroy the one i've got.
Old 06-22-2020, 10:06 AM
Tech Addict

Parma makes a lexan body. I have one - perfect solution. I keep the nice ABS one on the shelf and beat on the lexan body.
Old 06-22-2020, 10:41 AM
R/C Tech Elite Member

I saw that one but it looks like it is discontinued and I cant find anyone that still has it. I found a forum that recommends Kamtec bodies but would have to have it shipped overseas. Judging by how long i've been waiting on some parts from China it will be a while before I get it.
Old 06-23-2020, 09:40 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)

Looks great. Very nice job. Some action photos or a video would be great!
Old 06-23-2020, 10:58 PM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Originally Posted by zipperfoot
Looks great. Very nice job. Some action photos or a video would be great!
In the process of trying to buy a beater body from Kamtec so I can bash this thing a little. I really dont want to hurt the stock body as its got quite a bit of money in it.
zipperfoot likes this.
Old 06-29-2020, 10:17 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

that is sooo sweeeeetttt!!
Old 06-29-2020, 02:36 PM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Originally Posted by Evoking1230
that is sooo sweeeeetttt!!
Thanks! I got a midnight pumpkin body in the mail today thinking it would fit but unfortunately it doesnt. Needs different body posts. Ill get a running video up at some point lol.
Old 06-29-2020, 05:52 PM
Tech Addict

Just run it slowly and see how it articulates (and show us).
Old 06-30-2020, 10:38 PM
R/C Tech Elite Member

I work a lot lately but I will try to get something up this weekend. Hopefully the new body will be in by then!
Old 07-01-2020, 10:44 AM
Tech Rookie

Man that thing looks clean! Well done.
Old 07-01-2020, 01:41 PM
Tech Adept

Default Beautiful work!

I'm amazed at what some really handy guys do with their vehicles!

I have to ask, though: Aside from the challenge of just doing a craft, why not just adapt the Lunchbox body onto a more capable chassis? I've seen Grasshopper builds like that; it's a hoot!

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.