3rd shock? I raise you 4-link. COVID Lunchbox build. Pic heavy >

3rd shock? I raise you 4-link. COVID Lunchbox build. Pic heavy

Like Tree13Likes

3rd shock? I raise you 4-link. COVID Lunchbox build. Pic heavy

Old 07-01-2020, 02:48 PM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Smaug
I'm amazed at what some really handy guys do with their vehicles!

I have to ask, though: Aside from the challenge of just doing a craft, why not just adapt the Lunchbox body onto a more capable chassis? I've seen Grasshopper builds like that; it's a hoot!
I definitely had that thought but it seemed too easy... I fell in love with the lunchbox as a kid and as a tinkerer making it 4link felt like a more satisfying challenge. Plus i wanted to stay "true" to tamiya. If i used another chassis it wouldnt be a tamiya build anymore in my mind. That being said AMpro has a conversion kit to adopt the LB body on a scale truck chassis from a different brand that id like to do someday.
Smaug and smirkracing like this.
Old 07-12-2020, 05:23 PM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Finally got around to taking some video. I just went and bought a stock lunchbox body off Ebay to use. Still need to do some adjustment but it drove pretty well. Sorry for multiple videos. I couldn't figure out how to combine them into one and didnt care to download software to do it. Also sorry for the shaky video in some. I dont have a tripod lol.

smirkracing likes this.
Old 07-18-2020, 06:59 PM
Tech Rookie

Very nice, thanks for the post!
Old 07-20-2020, 07:42 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

That thing is bad ass nice build
Old 07-22-2020, 10:13 PM
R/C Tech Elite Member

A few things I've noticed after running it a bit.

1. The integrated slipper in the gearbox needs a LOT of tightening. I'll have to figure out a way to do this as from the factory it uses a nut to compress the spring but I had to remove the nut to install the universals. I think I have some 5mm shims but I feel like I would need quite a few to get it where it needs to be.

2. GEAR DIFF!!! It needs one bad. I got the Tamiya upgrade one in the mail yesterday so we will fit that soon. Especially since its clicking somewhere in the drivetrain and I think its the poor mesh in the rear diff.

3. This thing is so much fun! It runs so much better than stock. I think the biggest change was oil shocks but all the other upgrades are definitely helping.

4. I need to do something to the "beater" body. The plain all black is boring me.