Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Trying to get a Radio Shack Golden Arrow running again

Search this Thread

Old 05-29-2020, 03:07 PM
Tech Rookie

Default Trying to get a Radio Shack Golden Arrow running again

I've had this thing since my dad bought it for me in about 1991. I've repaired it once or twice and let it sit for several years.

I want to get it running again, purely for nostalgia. I had to repair/replace some broken wires (power switch, a lead on the motor, AA pos & neg). After putting some fresh AA batteries, I plugged a new and charged 7.2v pack in and the motor started screaming in reverse. The transmitter wasn't turned on. I turned the transmitter on and the controls didn't do anything for front or back wheels.

I know nothing about RC cars, but can handle a soldering iron just fine. Are there any obvious things I can look at?

edit: Just tried something. With no AA batteries and the power switch off, I plugged the 7.2v pack in. The wheels were still. I turned the switch on, and the wheels started spinning in reverse. I turned the power switch off and the wheels continued to spin until I unplugged the 7.2v pack. I checked for continuity on the switch and it's working properly. Going to attempt to trace where the short is that's providing power to the motor

edit 2: This might mean something and it might not. I noticed that if I waited a few minutes to plug the 7.2v pack back in while the power switch was off, the wheels moved in reverse more slowly. As soon as I switched the power back on, they went full speed. This tells me that there's a capacitor somewhere and that the switch is working just fine.

Nowhere near as impressive as everyone else's cars, but this one is mine and it gives me some fun memories.