Which battery for a TLR 22X-4? >

Which battery for a TLR 22X-4?

Like Tree18Likes

Which battery for a TLR 22X-4?

Old 05-31-2020, 07:49 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Ha!! Yep. Zipperfoot.....
Im a huge fan of this site. Lots of good people. Good info etc....
But just like anything else, your going to have people that stir the pot, rock the boat, keyboard chaos. Stuff like that.
This hobby, especially racers, is such a small closed off little chunk of land, most people dont even know it exists. Most people are unaware that there is this whole industry. Toy rc is one thing. Every boy has one.. Hobby grade rc is even smaller. And racing is smaller yet. And maybe Im stirring the pot here but some rc people, especially racers have this " this is mine/ours" attitude and newcomers are not welcome. Its very true. Guys spend a lot on their gear and for you to use this top notch racer for what your asking doesnt compute to some.
Old 05-31-2020, 08:35 AM
Super Moderator

Trader Rating: 80 (100%+)

Clodbusterfan, one of the rules here on RC Tech is to use the thread for the car your questions are related to. This is to help keep things in a single location so others can find it. I am going to keep this thread open since you still have a pending question.

As for going fast a lot of it is going to depend on the motor you have in the car and the pinion gear you install. You are probably well aware that the bigger the pinion you have on the motor the slower it will get up to speed but when it does hang on tight. Since I am talking about motor what we normally see being used with these types of cars are one of the following 5.5, 6.5, or 13.5 turn motors. Now these motor choices are what people who tend to race these cars use. If you are going to go with one of those or maybe something like a 4.5 or less turn motor you will definitely want a speed control that can handle these motors. There are plenty of speed controls to choose from, Hobbywing, Reedy, etc. and everyone will have an opinion as to which one is the best.

Regarding your choice of radio, I don't have any experience with the Spektrum radios but in other radios people tend to turn down the endpoint on the throttle side to keep the car from reaching max speed. Your other option is to install a smaller pinion gear to slow it down.

Good luck and have fun!
Old 05-31-2020, 08:51 AM
Tech Initiate

To actually answer your question, I am not aware of any NIMH "shorty" batteries. I do race and use Lipos but use NIMH's occasionally when I don't want to mess with Lipos.
So if you're like me you may want to buy a car that takes full size batteries so you can use both Lipos and NIMHs.

If anyone is aware of shorty NIMH's, I'd like to hear about it.

BTW I have been using a Spektrum DX5c for a couple of years and it works fine and has all the adjustments you need (in my opinion). I even dropped it from the drivers stand twice with no damage.
RazorRC likes this.
Old 06-01-2020, 09:50 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

exactly - we bought two 22x-4 door stops, one for the front door and one for the back door. Someone should call the wambulance for the child who cries about what you do with your "toy" car..

Originally Posted by Biz73 View Post
Don't sweat it. An adult getting angry about what you do with YOUR car says more about them than you. If you wanted to get a 22x-4 to use as a door stop that would be just fine.
zipperfoot likes this.
Old 06-01-2020, 10:51 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Ok I will do some searching on the website before I ask more questions.. Thanks guys!