Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road
Associated T6.1 Tuning; How the truck responds to setup changes. >

Associated T6.1 Tuning; How the truck responds to setup changes.

Like Tree5Likes
  • 1 Post By Alexv2024
  • 1 Post By XLosiguy
  • 2 Post By XLosiguy
  • 1 Post By RazorRC

Associated T6.1 Tuning; How the truck responds to setup changes.

Old 05-21-2020, 08:23 PM
Tech Apprentice

Default Associated T6.1 Tuning; How the truck responds to setup changes.

If this is in the wrong place, please let me know.

I've read allot of the T6.1 thread and it's one reason I went with it over the X-ray (2019) St.Truck. The "T6.1 terrible handling, any help?" thread was good. If I'm right, the thread starter resolved his issues with help from this forum. 👍

I've completed my build, need to paint 2 bodies for it, but nowhere to run until our track's clay gets here next week, so I'm looking for your experiences with the truck.

Us North Carolina subjects..uh.. I mean residents, will be "allowed" to race here shortly, probably about ther time our indoor and outdoor tracks are ready, so I'm craving some bench racing!

I know the T6.1 is a couple years old, so there should be plenty of knowledge on the behavior of the truck, like what calms it down or frees it up... how sensitive it is to changes/adjustments, etc.

I'll assume most responses would be indoor clay, but if you've raced it outside, that's great too.

There's a few YouTube videos that mention some tuning on the truck, but not many.

Your feedback on the nature of the truck is what I'm after:

jumping habits, landing behavior, how/what setup changes help or hurt, etc.

How does it compare to other Stadium Trucks?

Is the truck more at home on indoor clay, or an outdoor track? Things like that.

Thanks for any input.

Last edited by XLosiguy; 05-21-2020 at 09:02 PM.
Old 05-21-2020, 11:30 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

All of these questions are largely setup dependent, it is too simple to say that the truck is at home on one surface or another, because the truck will only drive as well as it is set up for that track.

The T6.1 kit setup is a compromise (like many box setups), with the parts included suiting medium grip surfaces (layback transmission, but ball differential).

It is reasonably expensive to convert the truck into the ideal high grip / carpet setup (laydown, weights, hard rails, new springs, gear diff... ). Some people have been converting to a double rear shock tower setup for increased stiffness on carpet. I haven't tried it, but have seen a video of one looking very dialled for carpet.

I'm not great with creating my own setups, so I copied a pro setup from petit rc for the similar surface (similar tire choice) and the truck has been good to go on indoor surfaces since. I'm more of a "get it close and drive the thing" when making adjustments, rather than endless tweaking.

There are far fewer setups posted for low grip dirt for the T6.1, so the basic changes for running on loose dirt for me have been a brass rear C, adding weights under the battery, battery in the rear position. One general weakness of the 6.1 series design that seems to show up most in the truck are the 'shouldered' steering bolts that run through the bellcranks. In a hard hit front hit, these can shear off into the ballstud mount. Some have had success with using regular threaded bolts, but I've seen those break too. Exotek make a brace that seems to be the best solution.

Check out the "T6.1 Nation" facebook group for more detailed info and tips.
Old 05-21-2020, 11:45 PM
Tech Apprentice

Originally Posted by mushroomed View Post
All of these questions are largely setup dependent, it is too simple to say that the truck is at home on one surface or another, because the truck will only drive as well as it is set up for that track.

The T6.1 kit setup is a compromise (like many box setups), with the parts included suiting medium grip surfaces (layback transmission, but ball differential).

It is reasonably expensive to convert the truck into the ideal high grip / carpet setup (laydown, weights, hard rails, new springs, gear diff... ). Some people have been converting to a double rear shock tower setup for increased stiffness on carpet. I haven't tried it, but have seen a video of one looking very dialled for carpet.

I'm not great with creating my own setups, so I copied a pro setup from petit rc for the similar surface (similar tire choice) and the truck has been good to go on indoor surfaces since. I'm more of a "get it close and drive the thing" when making adjustments, rather than endless tweaking.

There are far fewer setups posted for low grip dirt for the T6.1, so the basic changes for running on loose dirt for me have been a brass rear C, adding weights under the battery, battery in the rear position. One general weakness of the 6.1 series design that seems to show up most in the truck are the 'shouldered' steering bolts that run through the bellcranks. In a hard hit front hit, these can shear off into the ballstud mount. Some have had success with using regular threaded bolts, but I've seen those break too. Exotek make a brace that seems to be the best solution.

Check out the "T6.1 Nation" facebook group for more detailed info and tips.

Thanks for the advice.

I'll check out the Exotek brace.
Old 05-22-2020, 08:38 AM
Tech Adept

My t6.1 just has tons of steering is its only fault. I've worked on a setup for highbite clay if you want it. Could be my radio settings and driving style though. But other than that its a great truck and is super adjustable.

AE's kit setups are usually pretty bad I didn't bother with the t6.1, b74 and b6.1 but the b6.2 is close to what a lot of us run.

Petitrc is a great place to look for setups, and check AE's site under manuals for which ever car you're looking for as well.

A lot of people over look tires too much. If you aren't generating traction then a setup wont do you any good. Look at what the local fast guys are doing and ask them for help.
XLosiguy likes this.
Old 05-22-2020, 08:41 PM
Tech Apprentice

Originally Posted by Alexv2024 View Post
My t6.1 just has tons of steering is its only fault. I've worked on a setup for highbite clay if you want it. Could be my radio settings and driving style though. But other than that its a great truck and is super adjustable.

AE's kit setups are usually pretty bad I didn't bother with the t6.1, b74 and b6.1 but the b6.2 is close to what a lot of us run.

Petitrc is a great place to look for setups, and check AE's site under manuals for which ever car you're looking for as well.

A lot of people over look tires too much. If you aren't generating traction then a setup wont do you any good. Look at what the local fast guys are doing and ask them for help.
Thanks for the tips.

As I mentioned, I haven't ran the truck yet, but we'll probably have our tracks completed in the next 2 weeks, so I'm just looking for suggestions (bench racing) for now. My wife and I work at my local hobby shop part time, and inside, there's a large solid glass (3x6'ish) view of the track area, so waiting for clay to cover the warehouse floor is excruciating!

I've been racing 1/8 nitro/electric buggy and truggy for years, and am solid on my 1/8 battery selections, but since my last Stadium Truck was the Losi-XT (1990's) with (Nicad?) batteries, I'm unsure of just how much Lipo battery I need fort this truck.

My motor is Trinity RevTec 13.5, and speedo is SMC RF170 (it'll handle whatever). I bought my wife an SMC (true spec extreme) 4,000 mAh 120C (it's thin) for her rock crawler, but not sure if I need to get similar specs, or should I go higher mAh? (as for C-rating, I'm sure 120c is plenty).

I watched several YouTube video reviews on this truck in preparation for purchase, and they all say the manual setup is crap 😅 . So thanks for the setup offer...I'll take it.

edit *

I've read that the c.f. jconcepts steering block arm calms the steering down. Have you tried it?
RazorRC likes this.
Old 05-22-2020, 09:11 PM
Tech Apprentice

Default @Alexv2024

Alexv2024...

Just found the Pedit setup pages, 👍.
mushroomed and Alexv2024 like this.
Old 05-23-2020, 12:11 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

There's a T6.1 thread, would be better to post in there to get more responses.
Alexv2024 likes this.