Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road
Radio Shack Golden Arrow! >

Radio Shack Golden Arrow!

Radio Shack Golden Arrow!

Old 05-20-2020, 02:06 PM
Tech Initiate

Default Radio Shack Golden Arrow!

I had a Radio Shack Golden Arrow when I was a kid. It was my first RC vehicle. I got my hands on one that works but I want to upgrade some things on it. Like an ESC, motor, gear box and shocks. Is it possible to upgrade these things on this old thing?
Old 05-20-2020, 02:43 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 37 (100%+)

This was my first rc I had and I changed everything in the electrics without a problem including the motor. Wasn't much you can do to the gearbox but I never had a problem. I pulled the shocks apart and took out whatever was in them and went to heavier springs.
Old 05-20-2020, 02:55 PM
Tech Adept

Location: northern Indiana southern Michigan all depends on the day.

anything is possible just how much work are you going to need to put into it, and is it worth it.

the motor, esc, shocks, servo, and radio/receiver. should be easy, the gear box.... probably not. i don't know if any one ever made aftermarket gears for it. and if they did they've been long out of production and would be near impossible to find. same goes for OEM or stock parts. you might be able to find someone to make you aftermarket gears for the gearbox, if you don't have the necessary skills and tools to complete the task.

my suggestion don't over power it use 25.5(slow) or 21.5(faster) if your going brushless yes its slow but do you want to look for replacement gear box parts? second would be you'll have to replace the motor, ESC, Servo, radio/receiver all at the same time. there can be issus with digital and analog systems thats far apart in age talking to eacher with out glitchy glitchy noice happing. understand a full electronic package can cost you 300+us$ easy. and it worth it to you? next would be shocks front buggy just about any should do. the rear looks like you might need slightly longer shock try stadium truck shock there sometime longer based on the manufacturer.

good luck with your project
Old 05-20-2020, 06:10 PM
Tech Initiate

It will be a lot of work but it is worth it to me! Can you guys recommend an ESC, radio/receiver, and motor? I can find a servo. I heard the hardest part is getting an aftermarket servo to fit. hobbyten... How did you do the motor and the servo?
Old 05-21-2020, 08:03 PM
Tech Initiate

I am gonna do the tamiya sport tuned motor that is 23T.

What ESC should I use? Would the Hobbywing QUICRUN 1060 work?

Thanks for any help guys!
Old 05-22-2020, 08:32 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 18 (100%+)

Yes, the Quicrun 1060 will work fine with that motor. I had the same combo in a buggy a couple years ago.
Old 05-25-2020, 05:08 PM
Tech Initiate

So the motor shouldn't be hard to change to a tamiya sport tuned motor?
Old 05-25-2020, 05:16 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Any pictures?
Old 05-25-2020, 06:45 PM
Tech Initiate

I will post some pics soon have a busy week.
Old Yesterday, 02:09 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

I still have a Golden Arrow that runs with the original electronics but after seeing this thread i might update to modern components. Should be fun.
Old Yesterday, 01:34 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 69 (100%+)

I have converted a few old Radio Shack models to hobby grade electronics. I usually just do servo, esc and rx/tx and run the stock motors, then run a 1500mah lipo. Works great for my needs. I will post some pics soon.