• 1 Post By Andy Koback
  • 1 Post By jgil089
  • 1 Post By killer rock

Buggies and tall grass

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-2020, 02:20 PM
Tech Rookie

Default Buggies and tall grass

If I want a 1:10 scale Tamiya buggy to run in tall grass what's the best solution? I was thinking longer shocks or bigger tires. Would either of these be the best solution and if so what make/model do people recommend? Thanks.
Old 05-16-2020, 02:45 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)

For grass the Mad Bull would be your best bet. Not the best handling buggy out there, but it's 1/10th scale and will handle tall grass better than their other buggies.
Mahjik likes this.
Old 05-16-2020, 03:32 PM
Tech Rookie

Originally Posted by Biz73
For grass the Mad Bull would be your best bet. Not the best handling buggy out there, but it's 1/10th scale and will handle tall grass better than their other buggies.
Thanks but I'm not looking to buy a new car. I'm looking to upgrade the existing one.
Old 05-16-2020, 05:22 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 280 (100%+)

Originally Posted by ZekeRC
If I want a 1:10 scale Tamiya buggy to run in tall grass what's the best solution? I was thinking longer shocks or bigger tires. Would either of these be the best solution and if so what make/model do people recommend? Thanks.
Cut the grass??? -)
Bob Dobalina likes this.
Old 05-16-2020, 05:31 PM
Tech Rookie

Originally Posted by Andy Koback
Cut the grass??? -)
I do. Weekly.
Old 05-16-2020, 06:03 PM
Tech Regular

Mine all run fine on grass as long as its been cut recently. I just run kit tyres and as long as the spikes are in ok condition they do fine. If the spikes wear down then they can just spin their wheels.

What model do you already have? There are heaps of options, check out Tamiyaclub as well as there are heaps of examples of DT03 and TT02B with big wheels

Simplest would be to buy wheels and tyres fot the truck version, the Aqroshot (or sosomething like that) is a stadium truck type thing based on a DT03, or the sandshaker for TT02. I think they're DT03T and TT02T
ZekeRC likes this.
Old 05-16-2020, 07:17 PM
Tech Regular

Location: northern Indiana southern Michigan all depends on the day.

grass, bigger tires will be your best friend sct or st tires. the right 2.6 rim monster truck tire will do the grass the best (not get stuck).
the big problem with bigger tires is you'll also have to regear to smaller pinion and/or bigger spur. also better chance to brakeline drive components.
ZekeRC likes this.
Old 05-16-2020, 07:55 PM
Tech Rookie

Originally Posted by jgil089
Mine all run fine on grass as long as its been cut recently. I just run kit tyres and as long as the spikes are in ok condition they do fine. If the spikes wear down then they can just spin their wheels.

What model do you already have? There are heaps of options, check out Tamiyaclub as well as there are heaps of examples of DT03 and TT02B with big wheels

Simplest would be to buy wheels and tyres fot the truck version, the Aqroshot (or sosomething like that) is a stadium truck type thing based on a DT03, or the sandshaker for TT02. I think they're DT03T and TT02T
Yes spinning the wheels is the problem I'm seeing even after the grass is recently cut. But it's cut to about 2 and 1/2 inches. So pretty high. And it's very dense (compliments of the previous owner).
It's for a Tamiya Neo Fighter. Where can I find just the tires/rims for the Aqroshot? I checked Amazon, Tower Hobbies and Tamiya's store and can only find the complete vehicle.