Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road
Toy gun springs for truck? >

Toy gun springs for truck?

Toy gun springs for truck?

Old 03-18-2006, 11:06 AM
Tech Rookie

Default Toy gun springs for truck?

i was overly frustrated when, despite a load of spacers, my pede still slams bottom whenever it gets 1-2ft up in the air.. i use it for large jumps.. mainly a bike park with 6ft+ high jumps.. So today i noticed my brother throwing away 2 broken paintball.. or i think airsoft guns, the springs on em looked about the diameter of the shock spring and were quite long, so basically i cut each one on half and mounted them, and they fit perfectly. it is almost perfect for the type of jumping i do.. aside from that it actually bounces about 6 inches off the ground coming down from a jump. Is this a good idea, is something bound to break?
Old 03-18-2006, 12:03 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)

The higher you jump, the greater the odds that something's gonna break. If your bike jumps have landing jumps....try to downside those when you're landing. Fladlanding is going to cause a lot of harm to all your stuff. Expecially the motor, every time your motor gets a jolt or gets tagged while it's running, it's sends an amperage spike hurting the comm and battery life.

Jump setups will need to be a little different than a normal setup.
Heavier oil, heavier springs, smaller pistons, looser slipper clutch to ablorb the impact on your transmission.

Try some of these things next time you go out jumping.
Old 03-19-2006, 08:48 AM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 38 (100%+)

..Humm..Have you tried going to thicker oil?This is what would keep your "pede" from slamming the ground.Springs are used for to control the ride height not to keep your truck from bottoming out.It sounds like you have made your pede into a remote control pogo stick.I would go to thicker oil and put the stock springs back on and try it again.. At some point you will need to go to stiffer springs as you go to thicker oil,Remember Oil=damping,Springs=rebound.They do work together.
Old 03-19-2006, 02:45 PM
Tech Elite

put 1/2 inch or 1 inch of fuel tubing at the bottom of each shock shaft..this will stop it for bottoming out but if it still bottoms out put some more tubing untill it has no bottoming out
Old 03-19-2006, 07:42 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Dude putting an inch of fuel tubing on your shock shaft is going to elminate your suspension pretty much, plus it will pretty much for sure just break apart after a few jumps anyways. If you want really hard suspension on your pede, use some 50-80wt oil, aluminum shock caps, and AE MGT blue or gold springs. Just putting really long springs on it isnt going to help much, since your suspension will still be able to compress just as fast, thicker oil helps more than springs, but you need the heavier springs to make the trucks suspension actually rebound from compression with the thicker oil. You need the aluminum shock caps to since the stock plastic ones will just pop off with thick oil.