• 2 Post By rcgod
  • 1 Post By dogbone418
  • 2 Post By RazorRC
  • 1 Post By Phillip F

I'm so Torn and Confused

Old 05-12-2020, 09:07 PM
Tech Rookie

Default I'm so Torn and Confused

So I have decided to jump back into RC after a long long Break. O had no idea Brushless even existed. After doing some research of my Local Rocck Racing Off-road Track here in Knoxville Tennessee. I believe 1/8 scale e buggy is going to be my Choice. After a week of looking at cars online I still cannot determine which Manufacturer would be a Good Safe buy. I'm going to do alot of reading for the next Couple of Days. I know that everyone has their favorite cars. However I'm a Single Full Time Father and I do not want to regret a purchase because I cannot turn back. Any suggestions would be appreciated.
Old 05-13-2020, 06:38 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 29 (100%+)

Imo your best bet is talk to locals, see what has parts support locally, and go with that. Unless youíre the type of guy that wants to run something different. Iíve gone that route in the past but had to carry a lot of spare parts to the track in case I broke. I had more than one race day ended because I broke something and didnít have it with me. If you run something that is supported locally youíre also helping out the hobby shop and not buying everything online. Youíll also get support from locals with issues you might have with the car.
savage24x and Bsthetech like this.
Old 05-13-2020, 08:15 AM
Tech Initiate

I just built my first 1/8 e buggy. Like you, i wasnt sure which manufacturer to choose. My last buggy was an ofna ultra rtr back in 03. I was between kyosho mp9e evo and mugen mbx8 eco and couldnt decide. Eventually i got tired of researching and went with the kyosho. I have no regrets but im sure if i had chosen mugen i would still have no regrets.
Old 05-13-2020, 08:22 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

rcgod nailed it. I run Yokomo 1/10 and I have to carry a lot of parts. With 1/8 I run the Mugen mbx8 eco and it's great. But all the major brands are solid (Associated, Mugen, Tekno, TLR). I ran Tekno initially when I first started racing 1/8 a few years ago. Many of the locals ran Tekno so the support was there. As I got better and more knowledgeable I went to Mugen, which has a presence locally but it's not the most supported.
rcgod likes this.
Old 05-16-2020, 07:11 PM
Tech Regular

Location: northern Indiana southern Michigan all depends on the day.

you cant got wrong with, Associated, Mugen, Tekno, TLR, or xray.

Tekno current 4x4 go to. but if i was going RTR I'd go Arrma and only Arrma. very very ezy to fix and repair harder to brake then other brands. also plenty fast. my 2 cent
Old 05-17-2020, 01:41 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

I don't want to sound like a jerk, but if you're a full time single father and you're worried about making a financial mistake buying an 1/8 scale, I'd reconsider getting into it now in this current economic climate. There'll always be time to race later. Take care of yourself and your family first, RC racing is really, really low on the list of things to worry about.
turndownwhip and Bsthetech like this.
Old 05-17-2020, 12:58 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 40 (100%+)

Originally Posted by SHouck View Post
.......However I'm a Single Full Time Father and I do not want to regret a purchase because I cannot turn back. Any suggestions would be appreciated.
1/8 maintenance is very expensive..... tires and wheels are expensive ... the more it is when you start racing.
If you can afford to do r/c right now , get a 1/10 2wd buggy first and affordable start up electronics. ... just my suggestion.
turndownwhip likes this.
Old 05-19-2020, 07:49 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)

This hobby can get expensive and investing in 1/8 scale can run on the higher side of things that's for sure.

But since you mentioned being a single full time father, I would encourage any activity that brings a father and his kids together. If that is you intention. Good luck to you.
Old 05-19-2020, 12:39 PM
Tech Rookie

Just pull a couple grand out of your bank to start up and the rest is just icing on the cake,,,lol,,,I must have a hole in my head to get into another sport,,, between boating,fishing, hunting,archery and.caring for a sick wife,,, whoís got the time?