• 1 Post By Alexv2024
  • 1 Post By waitwhat
  • 1 Post By RazorRC

Back to bashing - need lots of advice

Old 03-25-2020, 08:28 PM
Siv
Tech Rookie

Questions?? Back to bashing - need lots of advice

Hi guys, now that my son is 13 and daughter 11, I'm wanting to re-live my childhood and get some RC cars that I couldn't have as a child. My first car was Tamiya Hotshot and I built a Hornet for a friend over 3 decades ago. I love the building as much as the bashing. Fast forward to adulthood and I have a very large yard and want to get a couple of cars (maybe 3) that I can race with my kids. I'm not looking for competition success, I'm looking to have some fun with my kids and keep them entertained. I flew FPV aircraft for a while (fixed wing, not drones) so have a ton of 3S lipos and chargers so that's something I don't need but no shorty packs so looking for some battery flexibility.

I just placed on order for a Team Associated Reflex DB10 because my daughter saw it and said she wants one! Now I'm looking for something I can buy and I want a kit, not a RTR. I lusted after the Kyosho Ultima/Optima and the Tamiya Avante as a youth. I see that there are re-issues but I'm thinking twice about getting one. Another car that was pure dream territory was the Schumacher Cat. One of my neighbours was a serious racer and had one back in the day. The CAT XLS "Masami" is a strong pull.

I actually started up pricing an Associated RC10 B6.1 Factory Lite which is on sale at amain and it ended up at around $550 including everything (wheels, tires, servo, ESC/motor combo, radio). I know I can afford all metal shocks etc so would rather have that than a compromise car that would be just as much fun but wouldn't be as "neat" in the build experience.

So what I'd like to gain from your collective wisdom is:

1, Would a RC10 B6.1 in the hands of an amateur be fine for a enjoyable build (more important) and bashing with my kids (not too dissimilar performance to the Reflex). If you think this is not a great idea, what should I spend my $600 budget on for a fun build?

2, What should I get as car number 3? I've seen a bunch of videos/reviews of the Arrma Granite which is a similar price point and RTR for my son - will it be in the same league as the others or will it be significantly better/worse?
Old 03-25-2020, 10:51 PM
Tech Adept

Don't get the factory light its light weight transmission components are designed for older stock motors and can't handle current high power stock motors on track racing let alone mod. The DL is the kit you want if you want a buggy.

But to be closer to the DB10 I'd get a SC6.1 or T6.1. And change the body if you want a different style. The full short course truck is nice with the body covering wheels as rolling it over and bouncing off stuff is easier. Also its a great way to get on track once you or the kids are ready. Bashing is fun, but some times seeing how you can do on a track is a fun challenge. They are fairly easy to build and a great way to start. I dont know what the all metal shock thing is about, the plastic caps are fine. The ones on my 2w are 2 seasons of racing old, but I need to replace them due to slop. Never had one strip or pop off.

I currently race associated stuff but I have an Arrma outkast 6s to bash around too. Its a beast. The 2wd granite is a weak truck. A local track tried to use them as a rental and they broke a lot. Maybe the 4wd version is ok if you dont upgrade the power, but like the bigger 4s trucks that are scaled down 6s versions should be better. I only have experience with the 6s stuff, which is pretty darn durable for a 50-60mph 12lb missile. Or 14lbs I forget, but its a blast. But expensive.
Siv likes this.
Old 03-25-2020, 11:34 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

I would get a re-release of one of your childhood dream cars. A buggy doesn't have a lot of ground clearance so if you went with something 4wd you can get through grass a bit better, but require much more attention to ensure they work correctly. Just remember the older designs tend to be more fragile than modern stuff.

I'd start both the kids with something 2wd. It helps to teach them discipline with the throttle.
Siv likes this.
Old 03-25-2020, 11:51 PM
Tech Master

Well, I owned a DB10, B6.1, and Granite 4x4 BLX. I have videos on all of them on my YouTube channel.

I agree that the B6.1 lite is not a good idea for a basher, it would be too fragile. The lite trades off durability for a lightweight drivetrain.
The Granite is a monster and crazy fast, it goes 50mph on 3S. It feels significantly faster than the DB10 and is tons more durable. Probably the best basher ever made.

Pretty much all the vehicles you're talking about are pretty different. A 2wd race buggy won't drive very well on anything but fairly smooth and flat terrain (extremely short grass, or smooth dirt). A re-release kit would be neat and cool, but considerably fragile and not a very good running car. I'd be afraid to drive it near a bunch of kids with big trucks.

If you really want to bash a race kit, I'd look into a Tekno. Too bad they don't make the EB48SL anymore, but maybe an EB410.2 or SCT410.3 depending on if you want a buggy or truck. If you really want to bash a 2wd buggy kit, I guess I would still get an Associated B6.x. They're pretty durable and easy to get parts.

It will feel like you're driving a miata next to a bunch of monster trucks though!
Siv likes this.
Old Yesterday, 06:35 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

If you like the B6.1FL, buy it!

I just ran 2 packs through mine today, bashing. No broken parts, all fun, on Rebar tires with a 17.5 motor.

People have said race rigs are meant for the track and too fragile to bash for years. They are the ones missing out. Sure, if you hit something just right and hard enough you will break it, but that goes for all RC vehicles. People have been running the B6.1FL and 13.5 motors since they were released.
Old Yesterday, 08:06 PM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by Siv View Post
Fast forward to adulthood and I have a very large yard and want to get a couple of cars (maybe 3) that I can race with my kids.
You say large yard, are you planning to run these in grass or what type of surface? Buggies like the B6.1 don't have much ground clearance so grass isn't ideal for them. Letting everyone know what surfaces you will be running on will help.
Old Today, 12:15 AM
Tech Apprentice

If you want a kit, that will be fun to build and tank like durability, look at the Tekno kits.