Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road
Benefits of hole punching a tire? >

Benefits of hole punching a tire?

Like Tree4Likes

Benefits of hole punching a tire?

Old 03-25-2020, 06:45 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 27 (100%+)
Default Benefits of hole punching a tire?

I have glue many rc tires in my life time and I have never we punched a hole in the tires. Is this 100% necessary? What is the benefits if this? I need to glue up a new set of 1/8 buggy hole shots.
Old 03-25-2020, 08:36 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

In ancient years we used to just glue a few different locations around the tire. Like everything else this has changed too with full beads of glue on both sides of the wheel. I guess without holes air pressure or vacuum couldn't escape
Old 03-25-2020, 08:46 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

If you're driving in wet conditions, venting tires allows water to be flung out of the tires by centrifugal force. I'm not aware of any benefits of venting tires for track use; having holes in the wheels (usually added during manufacturing) should be enough.
Old 03-25-2020, 08:51 PM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 85 (100%+)

If running outdoors, plug the holes in he rims and punch holes in the tires. Otherwise dirt can gradually accumulate inside the tire through the rim holes. Tire needs to be vented to reduce bounce.
Old 03-25-2020, 09:55 PM
Tech Champion

I've heard this before, but I've never actually seen more than a light dusting of dirt inside my worn-out tires when I cut them open. The tires are already stuffed with foam, and vent holes in the wheels are extremely small; I can't see a significant amount of dirt ever managing to work its way into a tire that way. A badly glued seam, on the other hand, could allow dirt into the tire every time the vehicle corners sharply and the seam flexes.
Old 03-25-2020, 11:53 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

You punch holes in tires to vent them when using closed cell foam. Otherwise air gets trapped between the foam and the tire making the tire puff up and handle inconsistently.
rcgod and billdelong like this.
Old 03-26-2020, 12:47 AM
Tech Champion

None of my tires with closed-cell foams are packed so snugly that air bubbles get trapped between the tire and the foam. In fact, all of my closed-cell foams have grooves cut into their surfaces to prevent air bubbles from forming in the first place.
Old 03-26-2020, 07:47 AM
Tech Addict

I've had dirt get into the tire to the point that it's off balance. Venting the tire lets the dirt escape.
Old 03-26-2020, 09:13 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 32 (97%+)

Old 03-26-2020, 09:54 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 27 (100%+)

Is it Severely disadvantageous to not punch holes in tires?
Old 03-26-2020, 10:15 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 32 (97%+)

Originally Posted by riceball777 View Post
Is it Severely disadvantageous to not punch holes in tires?
With closed cell foams, YES! The tires will severely balloon as air is trapped between the foam insert and the rubber, not all air will escape evenly and your corner balance will be thrown off among a myriad of other issues with uneven contact patch, etc....
Old 03-26-2020, 11:10 AM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by fyrstormer View Post
None of my tires with closed-cell foams are packed so snugly that air bubbles get trapped between the tire and the foam. In fact, all of my closed-cell foams have grooves cut into their surfaces to prevent air bubbles from forming in the first place.
Foams are not created equal. Some have ridges against the rim, some are completely flat. The completely flat foams have the higher potential to block the airway.

After several years of racing I've probably seen less than 10 occurrences of this. When it does happen your buggy handles horribly for what can seem like no reason at all. Better safe than sorry by simply punching the tires.
rcgod likes this.
Old 03-26-2020, 01:06 PM
Tech Champion

The only closed-cell foams I've seen without surface ridges are some really old HPI closed-cell foams for touring car tires that I have in my tire stash. But you're right, if foams don't have ridges on the surface they are more likely to trap air bubbles under the tire tread, especially if the surface is also smooth instead of rough. I didn't realize anyone still made closed-cell foams like that anymore, so I didn't previously consider it to be a valid reason to vent tires. I mean, venting tires isn't difficult as long as you have a leather punching tool, it's just irreversible if you make the holes too big.
Old 03-26-2020, 01:45 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

An absent minded friend of mine forgot to punch holes in a set of tires. The only change we made was to punch holes in them and they went from not working very well to working like normal.

Fyrestormer, when you have access to lap time information you can literally see how a single change impacts a vehicles performance.
fyrstormer likes this.
Old Yesterday, 12:29 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

Is there a maximum amount of holes you can have & location, governed by the rules.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.