Like Tree2Likes
  • 2 Post By party_wagon

RC Car for Systems Engineering subject at school

Old 03-03-2020, 02:18 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)
Default RC Car for Systems Engineering subject at school

Hi All,

I am looking for advice on a good car to purchase for systems engineering. I want something that is tough, economical, has spare parts, is likely to be available for a long time and will go off road. It does not need to be a race winner - durability is more important. I also want to be able to put an FPV system on it. It would be best if it came as a kit so the students can build it, but this is a secondary consideration.

I am thinking 1/10 scale 2WD or 4WD buggy. I had been eyeing off the Quanum Vandal but it is out of stock at HK.

Any recommendations?
Old 03-03-2020, 02:58 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

Id say an Arrma or get a used (but nice) older gen race kit off of here.
Old 03-03-2020, 05:49 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 29 (97%+)

Just get some stock slash kits and call it a day. They will have spares for years, very capable off road, and cheap. If you want to do a ground up build than have them tear them down and then rebuild them.
lowspark and RazorRC like this.
Old 03-04-2020, 01:18 AM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by Jcharger13 View Post
Id say an Arrma or get a used (but nice) older gen race kit off of here.
Do you mean this one? https://www.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...I=LXLPHX**&P=3
It sure is cheap.

I will avoid getting used because I want to get all the cars the same.
Old 03-04-2020, 01:18 AM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by party_wagon View Post
Just get some stock slash kits and call it a day. They will have spares for years, very capable off road, and cheap. If you want to do a ground up build than have them tear them down and then rebuild them.
Do you mean Traxxis Slash?
Old 03-04-2020, 02:15 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

I’m sure that Granite would fit the bill nicely. A traxxas slash would be a good fit too.

Didn’t know you were looking to buy more than one. New would be the only route then for sure.
Old 03-04-2020, 02:50 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by sportssedanman View Post
Hi All,

I am looking for advice on a good car to purchase for systems engineering. I want something that is tough, economical, has spare parts, is likely to be available for a long time and will go off road. It does not need to be a race winner - durability is more important. I also want to be able to put an FPV system on it. It would be best if it came as a kit so the students can build it, but this is a secondary consideration.

I am thinking 1/10 scale 2WD or 4WD buggy. I had been eyeing off the Quanum Vandal but it is out of stock at HK.

Any recommendations?

The problem wont be the car, it will be the vibration and pitch changes that the car goes through while driving will play hell with the visuals you could get from an FPV system. I have seen them and its a stomach-turning experience to just put around a track, let alone go over jumps.

If you are serious about the FPV, I would recommend something slower, like a rock crawler, which they do have as kits with everything.
Old 03-04-2020, 03:01 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

I think Traxxas Slash would be a perfect platform. Although not a kit, parts are available EVERYWHERE and they are pretty versatile.
Old 03-04-2020, 03:16 PM
Tech Rookie

Originally Posted by sportssedanman View Post
Hi All,

Any recommendations?
I personally would think a sc10 would be better because it's more barebones and has adjustability more similar to real cars. I think a slash would be fine though as long as you swap the turnbuckles for adjustable turnbuckles. But from what I've heard and seen, 2wd race buggies are the most sensitive and responsive to adjustments. The bigger tires of trucks somewhat drown out small changes to things like camber. You could probably pick up some old b4s for cheap that are durable enough and would allow you to experiment with camber, swaybars, ride height, shock oil, and some of the most interesting parts of driving mechanics in steering, including bumpsteer, ackermann, and toe.
Old 03-04-2020, 07:47 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

I would get them a Tamiya re-release 2wd buggy to start. Either the Grasshopper or Hornet. Give them a budget and some choices to make for which servo, radio, batteries, and charger they want. If budget allows, get a modern 2wd race kit and let them build and run it after they build and run the Tamiya buggy. Then they can learn first hand how much design development has taken place in something like an rc car.