Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Good Beginner Elect Offroad for 6 year old

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-2006, 02:56 PM
Tech Rookie

Default Good Beginner Elect Offroad for 6 year old

Hello all. I want to get my 6 year old son an R/C Truck or Buggy for his birthday, and have been studying RTRs, like the Duratrax Vendetta, and the Associated 18B or T.(It is also an excuse to my wife why I need to get one too soon) - something in the $100 to $150 range. The ones in my price range that are performance are all 1/18 scale and I was wondering if anybody could give me some advice if these will be too much for him to handle. I don't want to get him a toy RC, but I know sometimes handling higher performance RC cars/trucks can be a bit tricky, and I have never driven the smaller 1/18 scales before. I like the idea of getting an RTR that allows upgrades, so it can grow with him, and maybe he can get into racing down the road.

Do you think a larger scale(like a 1/10 would be easier for him to handle), or even like a Tamiya QD Buggy(not really upgradable, but is it more like a toy). I read somewhere that Trucks are easier to handle than buggies, and have looked a bit at the Duratrax Mini Quake, but have heard quality is a bit of an issue on that truck

Any thoughts on Scale size, RTR models that can meet all these needs.

Any advice/opinions would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Old 03-14-2006, 04:02 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

First how soon do you expect your 6 year old to start racing??? If it's within the next 6 months to a year then worry about raceablity, if any longer than that I wouldn't care at all, cause if he uses it with any regularity then he'll have to worn out withing 2 years, if he doesn't then getting him to race maybe a lost cause.......

Personally I suggest a Tamiya vehicle cause they will outlast most of the carnage that he can dish out.... Also the Tamiya XB cars are upgradeable, just not to the extent that the Associated cars are....
Old 03-14-2006, 04:22 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)

I'd probably point you in the direction of this car... http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...=LXVK74**&P=ML you go to pretty much ANY hobby shop around the country and you'll be almost guaranteed that they have parts for it. It's durable, quick yet managable for a younger/beginner and very upgradable in the future.

But, please keep this in mind, it's sad but true, "generally", the more you spend, the more you get proformance wise...but, I think you'll be happy with this one.
Old 03-14-2006, 04:31 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 75 (100%+)

Why not teach him the basics of RC driving, care and maintenance in the living room with an inexpensive Losi Mini-T? It's a great platform to learn how to drive with a wheel radio, get perspective on steering going away and towards the driver, and simple things we take for granted like charging batteries, cleaning the car and fixing things when they break. Parts are available everywhere, they are cheap and you can mod the bejeezus out of them, too.

If I had a 6-year old, I'd be buying two of them and setting up a track in the basement or the backyard.
Old 03-14-2006, 04:50 PM
Tech Initiate

Thats true, the micros are cheap and you can learn alot about driving, but if you want him to get into 1/10th scale trucks, I would suggest either the Duratrax evader ST or the Traxxas Rustler.

The Evader is a little bit more expensive of the two but has a 1 year stress tech warranty on it, so if he breaks anything in the first year of driving it, you get a replacement part at your hobby shop for free. http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...I=LXXJ49**&P=7
Old 03-14-2006, 05:26 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

I second that mini-T. They come with a battery tray that holds 4 AA cells. If you put some rechargable 1.2V batteries in that, it should give you 4.8volts on average, and make for a pretty slow RC that he can drive around. Once he gets some motor skills and gets bored of it, you can up the pace by replacing that battery tray with a 7.2v battery pack and all of a sudden, the mini-T will be almost too fast for indoor use (even for you). Heheh.

I know it's 2wd and everything out there is 4wd, but the mini-T really handles very well and because of the chassis design (the front kickup, the shrunken race-winning suspension), the mini-T is actually a lot easier to handle than most 4wd's in a rough or bumpy situation. Also, I've heard of 4wd owners waiting on drivetrain parts to replace stripped or worn gears. With the mini-T running on the stock motor, I think your son might be passing it to your grandson with the first set of gears intact.

Oh and 1 more thing is that in 1/18 scale, the trucks and buggies are pretty much the same thing because they're all about the same size and shape. In 1/10 scale, the trucks have longer suspension arms and bigger wheels, which is why they are easier to drive for a beginner. In 1/18 scale, they just slap on a buggy body shell and call the truck a buggy.
Old 03-14-2006, 05:33 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

mini scale 1/18 pros:
- Small and portable, especially if you're talking about having 2 trucks.
- Very long run times. You can expect like 30 to 40 minutes on a good 1200mah battery pack if you run the smallest pinion
- You can pull some wicked wheelies without doing any modifications at all. They're really that light and fast (scale speed)

cons:
- harder to find places to run. The beach is great though
- harder to find other people to race
- can't do the crazy jumps like 1/10 scale trucks
Old 03-14-2006, 05:33 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 43 (100%+)

The mini-t is great but for a begginer young kid they usualy like to go play in the grass and dirt. So 1/10 is the best and the best as far as durability and easiest to maintain is the Traxxas Rustler. It's pertty cheap and is easy to find parts. They come with a motor you don't have to take care of too much and aren't that fast. My first car that I got when I was 9 was a Traxxas Bandit is almost the same thing but it's a buggy. I still have it and still love it.
Old 03-14-2006, 05:46 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 29 (97%+)

I would stay away form 1/18th, they are hard to work on and can't go through grass and ect.
I would go with the duratrax st or the traxxas rustler. The duratrax will give you more tuning options and be a faster race platform, handle better and ect. on the track. For running around the house they should both suit your needs.
Old 03-14-2006, 05:46 PM
Tech Addict

Talking

mhallerbach,

I'd definitely reccomend getting a 1/18th scale offroad buggy or truck. The Associateds and the Losis are great starter vehicles that can grow with him. The Duratrax Vendetta and the Kyoshos are both right in the same ballpark. Kyosho is soon to release a 1/16th truggy based on the half 8 platform as well so they're throwing a truck in the mix. Any one of them will be relatively easy for him to handle as he starts out and there are a great deal of upgrades available from chassis and suspension components to crazy fast brushless systems when his skills allow. At our club races, we have 2 full heats of mini class vehicles so when he's ready, he'll be able to race competitively with the same car.

Let us know what cars you guys get and if you have any other questions after you get them, there's like a million people on here that are willing to help.

Tony
Old 03-14-2006, 05:50 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 43 (100%+)

Who said the rustler isn't competive, it just needs a few home done mods. http://ultimatetraxxas.com/rustler.html
Old 03-14-2006, 05:54 PM
Tech Addict

Up until this season, one of the guys at our club races put a rusty in the A main in stock truck out of 50 plus racers in the class. The Rustler can definitely be competitive. Just needs a little work. Ok a lot of work. But it can certainly be done.

Tony
Old 03-14-2006, 07:15 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

While I know you are talking to off road let me tell you what i did for my 7 year old daughter that wanted to race with Daddy. I cleared out a 10x10 area in the garage and laid down some PVC pipe from a pattern I found on here http://www.xmodsrc.com/tracks/track-builder/ and got us both an Xmod. We race at least once a week and after 3 months she still enjoys it.

The $150 price range is hard to find a race worthy vehicle but I have heard good things about the 1/18th scale Associated or Losi's we just dont have enough interest here to hold races for them. You may want to look to see what tracks are around your area and then go there to see what people are running. Another option may be to buy a used T4 or B4. For $150 you may be able to find a used RTR could be upgraded in the future so it would be a competitive race vehicle.
Old 03-14-2006, 07:34 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 115 (100%+)

Originally Posted by jamescam
While I know you are talking to off road let me tell you what i did for my 7 year old daughter that wanted to race with Daddy. I cleared out a 10x10 area in the garage and laid down some PVC pipe from a pattern I found on here http://www.xmodsrc.com/tracks/track-builder/ and got us both an Xmod. We race at least once a week and after 3 months she still enjoys it.

The $150 price range is hard to find a race worthy vehicle but I have heard good things about the 1/18th scale Associated or Losi's we just dont have enough interest here to hold races for them. You may want to look to see what tracks are around your area and then go there to see what people are running. Another option may be to buy a used T4 or B4. For $150 you may be able to find a used RTR could be upgraded in the future so it would be a competitive race vehicle.
Jamescam--- are those xmod cars actually goood/fun? I have heard of them but never seen them run. I have a little garage space I could use.

...Try looking for a used MF1 losi stadium truck. Easy to drive, durable, and usually found for a bill or less. I have one soley for curb jumping and chasing real cars down the street (via 11x2 motor )
Old 03-14-2006, 11:01 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

The Xmods are quite fun and probably the best toy RC car out there. I have heard even better things of the Kyosho Mini Z's but they aren't as easy to come by here in the states.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.