17.5 tips and tricks >

17.5 tips and tricks

Like Tree35Likes

17.5 tips and tricks

Old 03-02-2020, 02:08 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 111 (100%+)

Originally Posted by rcgod View Post
There really needs to be a stepping stone class for people. My son just moved out of novice, and the next step up is stock 17.5 buggy. He went from dominating novice to last in stock. He’s asked me several times to go back to novice and I won’t let him. He’ll never get better in that class. But there should be something in-between. 25.5 or 21.5 buggy would be great, but there’s no interest at our track.
Our track started a 'Sportsman' class this year, and it has worked out well … an interesting 'Buggy Based Only' rule is that you run the rule package for the class of your car (dirt oval, so there are street stocks, Midwest modifieds, sprints, etc.) so there is a nice blend of cars running together as well … there is kind of a fine line between 'IF' someone should be in Sportsman or move to the 'full' class (for their car body type), but as the year went on it kind of sorted itself out … there are drivers almost capable of running in the 'better' class from the start, but they just may not have the new car (to them) up to par yet and it would just be a 'jam car' running with the better class … once the car is sorted out, they move to race with the 'better' cars/drivers out from Sportsman, so it actually serves a dual purpose of drivers AND cars that are ready for the move …

But, with that said, there is a bit of honesty and integrity needed among drivers to realize that they (and the car) are ready for the move … there could certainly be limitations enforced on a 'Sportsman' class eligibility (2 wins, 3 wins, lap times, etc.), but we have been fortunate enough to have it sort itself out without imposing restrictions …some people may only run one or two weeks in the class, and others may find it as where they belong, maybe due to limited budgets, or not having equipment capable of running with the 'better' class ... it has been really nice to see the progression of some towards being competitive, and then to taking an occasional win, which would likely never happen without the 'stepping stone' class … best of all, their interest is maintained, they are having fun, and they look forward to competing and not getting discouraged and dropping out, which all works to help keep the car count up ...

JMHO's … as always
Old 03-02-2020, 03:46 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

From what I have seen in the past the guys cheating arent winning anyways.
big ted and Alexv2024 like this.
Old 03-02-2020, 04:58 PM
Tech Initiate

Originally Posted by Skinny_j View Post
From what I have seen in the past the guys cheating arent winning anyways.
What he said!

Most people cheat because they aren't willing to put in the work to get better. 90% of the time if you can run a clean race you will have them covered.

The other option, if you are really concerned about cheaters, go run big races that have someone doing tech. If you aren't fast enough for that, then maybe the cheater motor isn't the reason you are getting beat. To be clear, I'm not saying cheating is right, but I know at the tracks I run at, it takes a lot more than straight line speed to win a race.

zipperfoot and Rutters like this.
Old 03-03-2020, 09:33 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by awymorePDX View Post
What he said!

Most people cheat because they aren't willing to put in the work to get better. 90% of the time if you can run a clean race you will have them covered.

The other option, if you are really concerned about cheaters, go run big races that have someone doing tech. If you aren't fast enough for that, then maybe the cheater motor isn't the reason you are getting beat. To be clear, I'm not saying cheating is right, but I know at the tracks I run at, it takes a lot more than straight line speed to win a race.
Our local oval track is having this issue. He is so much faster no one could get anywhere near him. He wheelies out of the corner and no one is even close
Old 03-03-2020, 10:39 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

And I thought that the horsepower contest in stock touring car or 1/12 scale was bad.
Buckaroo likes this.
Old 04-30-2020, 04:46 AM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by andrewcoley View Post
Hi guys; from the UK and genuinely intrigued, so please donít shoot me down, Iím not here for flaming.

So...all these stock classes...I donít get it. My understanding of stock was always that it was an entry level class in terms of cost. But with constantly searching for the best motor and only using it for six months, cooking lipos and reducing their life, ceramic titanium cut down everything...itís crazy. Waaayyy more expensive than Mod.

In the UK pretty much everyone runs mod. A new guy/kid might buy a slower motor while they learn (or at least they should!) but the racing is simple; in every class itís mod. We get 30-50 cars on a club night (fortnightly on a huge carpet track, a lot of features, 1066 Racing on FB) all 2WD mod, occasionally a heat of 4WD mod. 5 finals, A-E.

Are all the extra classes just so everyone gets a trophy? IĎm not so fussed about a trophy. I won the B final last week from 6th on the grid and was really stoked. Iíd be even more stoked if I scraped the back of the A! 😂

Serious questions then, is it trophies? Is it that the regs a throwback to brushed days and just need someone to look at it with fresh eyes? Why donít more people step Ďupí to way cheaper mod?

Thanks in advance
I Konw bunch of racers ran 13.5 class no blinky at MB models they found it was a little easier to drive and not much slower than mod on a small high grip track, they did say that it was cheaper on tires as it didn't wear them down as fast and you could use the tire that are too worn use in mod in 13.5 and still have grip. On the outdoor and big indoor tracks like worksops you would want to run mod to clear the jumps. Drivers usually run mod with no turbo or 10.5 with turbo what ever makes the car easier to drive.