Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road
Tekin RX8 ESC up in smoke on my first day with new car >

Tekin RX8 ESC up in smoke on my first day with new car

Like Tree6Likes

Tekin RX8 ESC up in smoke on my first day with new car

Old 02-24-2020, 06:17 PM
Tech Rookie

Default Tekin RX8 ESC up in smoke on my first day with new car

So I decided I wanted to get a real RC car and I shopped around and bought a Losi 8ight truggy RTR including the battery and charger. I knew I got a smokin' deal on it but I didn't realize that it would literally be smoking the first day I tried it out. It ran great for about 10 minutes and then rolled to a stop and went up in smoke. Both battery terminals melted off the ESC and its obviously toast. What did I do wrong? Somewhere I read that driving style could cause this?!?! Are you kidding me? I was not driving it that hard and if you can't abuse a truggy what is the point? I've also read that it could be caused by the motor. Is there some way to test it? I know water was not the issue because everything was frozen solid the day it happened. I'm super bummed and thinking about selling it now because a new ESC is about 2/3rds what I paid for the whole set up but before I go that route any ideas on what might have caused it to fail? I tried to post pics of the car and the ECU but the site would not let me.
Old 02-24-2020, 09:13 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

Ouch. A couple things to look at. 1. What connectors did you use. 2. What exact model was esc. 3. Remove motor, disassemble and look for obvious damage.
I used to use deans connectors and I melted them. Too much current on high drain systems. Replace with XT90s if not already on there. If you did fry it, you can get a hobbywing much cheaper. Also, if semsorless is an option, the Arrma blx185 works great and can be had for about 65
Old 02-24-2020, 09:26 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Bikewhorder View Post
I know water was not the issue because everything was frozen solid the day it happened.
If frozen snow hits a warm motor or esc, it will melt. Just saying so you don't rule it out completely.
Cain likes this.
Old 02-25-2020, 07:47 AM
Tech Regular

Sorry about your luck, this wouldn't be the first time I've heard about this from a Tekin RX8. For the future, make sure you're not using the deans (T) style plug as they're not that great for 4s. I've had my buggy shut down because the esc got hot, I found out it was the deans plugs I was using. They don't pass enough amperage through them and it makes everything hot, from the battery to the esc to the motor. I second the Arrma blx185 for bashing purposes, it's a great and inexpensive esc that'll run a 6s lipo and it's waterproof. Sadly, tekin just isn't what it used to be. I've heard a lot of issues from their equipment lately, let's not get started on their Gen 2 products.
Stevie S likes this.
Old 02-25-2020, 08:04 AM
Tech Adept

I just read yesterday on a Facebook group how one guy had 2 new RX8 fail the same day. They just died after landing a jump. Tekin would not warranty either of them. It seems like there is many issues starting to surface
Old 02-25-2020, 08:55 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 53 (100%+)

Sorry for the bad experience. Definitely check out the Hobbywing XR8 SCT esc. I will say though that running in snow, water, etc can be problematic for most escs. Unfortunately something with a waterproof rating will likely cost more. Agree with the recommendations for XT90 connectors. They’re one of the best for higher voltage/8th scale stuff.
Old 02-25-2020, 10:27 AM
Tech Rookie

Originally Posted by xlgraphicspro View Post
If frozen snow hits a warm motor or esc, it will melt. Just saying so you don't rule it out completely.
True, I thought of that too, I don't remember noticing it being wet but I was was distracted by the smoke and smell of burning electronics. Do these speed controls have zero tolerance to moisture? That seems like a design flaw.
Old 02-25-2020, 10:37 AM
Tech Regular

I did a quick look and it doesn't seem the RX8 is designed to be waterproof. The rx8 is considered a race only esc, you'd typically never race in a wet environment so I assume it was a way Tekin could save that .03 cents of silicon when making the esc.
Old 02-25-2020, 04:41 PM
Tech Rookie

Thanks for the responses. I do have the Deans plugs. The Esc was in the back behind the 4s battery. I think I'll relocate it to the front where that plastic platform is.

Old 02-25-2020, 04:45 PM
Tech Rookie

So will any sensored ESC plug into my motor or are they brand specific? Do I need to program the ESC, and if I buy a used one will I need software or something to set it up? This stuff is a good bit more complicated than I realized going in.
Old 02-25-2020, 04:55 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

Any ESC will work. Just make sure you get an eighth scale esc like the Max8 would be a good choice. You donít need a sensored esc for bashing. You just need to calibrate the esc to your transmitter. No need for a program box.
Old 02-25-2020, 05:23 PM
Tech Rookie

Originally Posted by Jcharger13 View Post
Any ESC will work. Just make sure you get an eighth scale esc like the Max8 would be a good choice. You donít need a sensored esc for bashing. You just need to calibrate the esc to your transmitter. No need for a program box.
Thanks, I found two used Max8's on Ebay from the same seller. One by itself and one with a matching 2200kv motor. Would I be better off with the latter set up? My T8 is a 2000kv motor would I notice much of a difference? My initial reaction was this car I got has too much torque and too much tire. I think I want to make it a little quicker and more nimble if possible.
Old 02-25-2020, 07:16 PM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by Bikewhorder View Post
Thanks, I found two used Max8's on Ebay from the same seller. One by itself and one with a matching 2200kv motor. Would I be better off with the latter set up? My T8 is a 2000kv motor would I notice much of a difference? My initial reaction was this car I got has too much torque and too much tire. I think I want to make it a little quicker and more nimble if possible.
Motor won't be much of a difference, you'd hardly notice it. Changing your gearing will give you more speed.
Old 02-26-2020, 11:39 AM
Tech Fanatic

I’ve killed 5 gen 1 and 2 RX8’s, I’ve never bothered trying the gen 3, Hobbywing make more reliable esc’s for less money.....
Bikewhorder likes this.
Old 02-26-2020, 11:50 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Originally Posted by .AJ. View Post
Iíve killed 5 gen 1 and 2 RX8ís, Iíve never bothered trying the gen 3, Hobbywing make more reliable escís for less money.....
I have over a dozen gen 1s and 2 original production run of RX8s.........everything is still going strong EXCEPT that one time that I reverse polaritied a gen 1 and it popped.
Cain, Troubles Dad and lowspark like this.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2022 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.