Tuning Progression >

Tuning Progression

Like Tree13Likes

Tuning Progression

Old 02-14-2020, 02:13 PM
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Default Tuning Progression

When setting up a car, lets say you have the tires everyone at the track runs because they're the "best" so that's out of the way, if you take your base setup and need to make changes where do you start first? After you make an adjustment, when/what do you move on to next? Do some changes have more overall priority compared to other changes?
Old 02-14-2020, 02:57 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

Really all depends on what you're trying to accomplish. I start with the easy stuff that makes a big difference such as Camber, Ride Height, Wheelbase (if you have hubs you can move forward/aft)
Old 02-14-2020, 07:17 PM
Tech Apprentice

I usually start with what I notice during my pre-race practice sessions. Is my car pushing or understeering anywhere on the track? Is it a fast or technical layout...do I need to gear up or down?
Old 02-14-2020, 11:30 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Pick one thing you are displeased with. For me, it was the way the car landed. Kit setup was entirely too soft and the chassis would slap rather loudly. Adjusted spring, shock oils and shock position until it stopped. After that, I noticed an excessive amount of chassis roll, and the car seemed to lack power. I adjusted the timing on the motor first and brought up the power. Following this, I started playing with roll center.

I'm not sure if that helps, lol.
Pistol123 likes this.
Old 02-15-2020, 07:51 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 32 (97%+)

I like to use the HUDY tuning reference which prioritizes everything here:

Old 02-15-2020, 05:43 PM
Tech Apprentice

That chart is going in my pit box. That's kind of what I was looking for. I understand the principle of the different adjustments but when it comes time to say what is causing the issue it's not as easy to say THIS is what I should be adjusting at the moment because I'm having X problem.
billdelong likes this.
Old 02-15-2020, 06:33 PM
Tech Fanatic

I'm probably pretty different from everyone else, but IMO there is kind of a "perfect setup" for that track/driver/traction/tire/temp/etc. you're driving in that day, and the goal is to put your car within that perfect setup window as much as possible. I think most people have a different process -- they start with what they don't like about a car and try to "fix it".

So I try to come up with basic parameters that I think are going to fit within that perfect setup window, just basic stuff unlikely to change (much), so I can at least nail down 10 of the 100 different adjustments and then finetune with the rest. For example, nail down my rear toe/ride height/base springs/added weight plates/center diff fluid/droop, so at least some of the variables are set. If you get some of these wrong right off the bat (example, you have your rear toe set to 4 deg on carpet, or your shock length is off by 4mm), you're going to have a helluva time trying to get your car working at all.

Then go from there and play with the rest of the adjustments (occasionally making small changes to the base stuff above), to get it where I want it to be.
Old 02-15-2020, 06:58 PM
Tech Master

That chart is pretty cool, but what seems to be missing are the negative effects of changes. Typically, when a change is made, you usually improve one aspect with the trade off that something else will get worse. For example, a caster change might improve corner entry, at the expense of mid or exit speed. It seems like everything is a game of “give and take” when it comes to setup changes.
jpowers likes this.
Old 02-15-2020, 08:02 PM
Tech Apprentice

Originally Posted by TurnNBurn View Post
That chart is pretty cool, but what seems to be missing are the negative effects of changes. Typically, when a change is made, you usually improve one aspect with the trade off that something else will get worse. For example, a caster change might improve corner entry, at the expense of mid or exit speed. It seems like everything is a game of “give and take” when it comes to setup changes.
While the chart doesn't give negative effects, it does give direction. If you make a change to something and it has no effect or it makes things worse then you can likely rule out that change as the "problem" with the setup. If your front toe has reached a maximum point to where it's helping and starting to give a negative result then you can move on the the next change. You can almost "troubleshoot" the chart by using it as a diagnosis for the car. You make the suggested change and it yields an undesired effect, maybe that's part of the issue to begin with.
billdelong likes this.
Old 02-15-2020, 08:56 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

Originally Posted by TheBeave View Post
While the chart doesn't give negative effects, it does give direction. If you make a change to something and it has no effect or it makes things worse then you can likely rule out that change as the "problem" with the setup. If your front toe has reached a maximum point to where it's helping and starting to give a negative result then you can move on the the next change. You can almost "troubleshoot" the chart by using it as a diagnosis for the car. You make the suggested change and it yields an undesired effect, maybe that's part of the issue to begin with.
​​​​​you are so smart
Old 02-15-2020, 09:47 PM
Tech Apprentice

Originally Posted by competionpark View Post
​​​​​you are so smart
Haha, bro... RCTech won't let me sell stuff still. RIP. So now I'm forced to say dumb stuff in the forums and clog them up. Much better idea...
estill likes this.
Old 02-16-2020, 06:22 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

Haha, bro... RCTech won't let me sell stuff still. RIP. So now I'm forced to say dumb stuff in the forums and clog them up. Much better idea...
at least you have the chart from this thread. That's a godsend. How didn't I ever see it before?
billdelong and Jcharger13 like this.
Old 02-16-2020, 09:25 AM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by competionpark View Post
at least you have the chart from this thread. That's a godsend. How didn't I ever see it before?
Yeah, as I mentioned above, that is a really good resource. I’ve mentioned before in the 22 5.0 thread that TLR does a good job of describing how changes affect handling for certain tuning parts in the manual, but not all of them. It would be awesome if other manufacturers followed suite with a complete chart like this; that chart is perfect for putting on a sticker and placing under the lid of a toolbox.
Old 02-16-2020, 07:15 PM
Tech Apprentice

There wasn't much in my xray manual other than assembly instructions. Hopefully this will help me get dialed in. I'll start reading the TLR thread for some insight on tuning as well. While it might not be identical it'll have some similarities that'll translate. Does anyone use drag brake?
Old 02-17-2020, 07:03 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 32 (97%+)

Does anyone use drag brake?
I've slowly been adding a little drag brake into my classes and yes it does help improve my lap times (especially on turf), but it definitely takes some getting used to... I normally prefer not to use drag brake, but after looking at my lap times I can't deny the fact that I am faster with drag brake, not everyone will get the same results, I know of some who are faster without drag brake.... your timing will be off and you'll tend to turn too tight in corners at first, but it's definitely worth experimenting with. I typically go between 5%-15% max in my setups as of right now.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.