Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By bonzo915
  • 1 Post By dcerven94

Losi 22 5.0 DC Transmission Problems

Old 02-13-2020, 08:17 PM
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default Losi 22 5.0 DC Transmission Problems

So i have a brand new losi 5.0 buggy that when its on the ground the car will not move. The tires just inch along, and it sounds pretty bad. I have a hobbywing juststock 17.5 in it. I have adjusted the slipper and that isnt the problem. Im thinking its the ball diff, but i dont want to take it back apart unless i know thats the problem. Is the ball diff to tight or am i looking in the wrong place? Off the ground the cars wheels will spend almost normal, the sound still seems off like something is binding. Thanks for the help
Old 02-13-2020, 10:47 PM
Tech Rookie

Default Trans case screws

I would start by double checking to make sure that you used the 10mm screws in the correct spot when mounting the trans to the chassis and didn't accidentally use the 12mm screws in the middle set of transmission case holes. This is a common mistake and will deform the inside of the case pushing up into the diff gear.
Old 02-13-2020, 11:11 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by 24Racing View Post
So i have a brand new losi 5.0 buggy that when its on the ground the car will not move. The tires just inch along, and it sounds pretty bad. I have a hobbywing juststock 17.5 in it. I have adjusted the slipper and that isnt the problem. Im thinking its the ball diff, but i dont want to take it back apart unless i know thats the problem. Is the ball diff to tight or am i looking in the wrong place? Off the ground the cars wheels will spend almost normal, the sound still seems off like something is binding. Thanks for the help
post a video
Old 02-14-2020, 03:59 AM
Tech Adept

Hey 24. A good way to easily troubleshoot this to start by taking off your opinion from your motor. Once you have that off you can spin the tires and see the transmissions spur gear spin and then you can hold the spur gear and if you turn one tire forward the other should turn backwards. You can do the same on one of your other RT our cars to get an idea for how the transmission and differential should work and feel. That will at least tell you if you have a problem internally or not. One of the other common things that Iíve seen withHey 24. A good way to easily troubleshoot this to start by taking off your opinion from your motor. Once you have that off you can spin the tires and see the transmissions spur gear spin and then you can hold the spur gear and if you turn one tire forward the other should turn backwards. You can do the same on one of your other RT our cars to get an idea for how the transmission and differential should work and feel. That will at least tell you if you have a problem internally or not. One of the other common things that Iíve seen with First time Kipp builders if they forget the pin in the axle that engages in the drive hacks and that can spin and sound bad too LOL hope that helps, and like others said above, post a link to a video and that would help out a lot
Old 02-14-2020, 04:53 AM
Tech Adept

Check the 10 mm vs 12 mm screws going into the bottom of the chasis if they are wrong it will bind the tranny
TurnNBurn likes this.
Old 02-14-2020, 07:27 AM
Tech Champion

the things you need to look at: motor wires are wired up in the correct order. gear mesh and or any debris in there. the various drive shaft/axle pins, slipper (as you already noted), ball diff (specifically if you didn't compress the spring on initial build), proper length screws as others noted. wouldn't hurt to try a different sensor wire as well.
Old 02-14-2020, 09:49 AM
Tech Apprentice

Thanks, i will check to make sure the correct length of screws are in the right spots. If that doesnt fix it i will post of video of what the car is doing
Old 02-14-2020, 09:54 AM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by bonzo915 View Post
Check the 10 mm vs 12 mm screws going into the bottom of the chasis if they are wrong it will bind the tranny
Yep, Iíve read this being an issue before, and of course, the manualís got the Exclamation symbols to point it out... I must have checked 3 or 4 times myself before screwing those in, lol.
Old 02-14-2020, 06:53 PM
Tech Apprentice

Took everything in the rear end apart, double checked all screws and put it back together and it sounds much better. I had to have put some longer screws in the wrong places during the build not paying attention. What is the best way to adjust the slipper on these? The car seems to move slowly at first then takes off at full speed, i have already tighten the slipper down some.
Old 02-15-2020, 08:43 AM
Tech Initiate

Took everything in the rear end apart, double checked all screws and put it back together and it sounds much better. I had to have put some longer screws in the wrong places during the build not paying attention. What is the best way to adjust the slipper on these? The car seems to move slowly at first then takes off at full speed, i have already tighten the slipper down some.
Old 02-15-2020, 08:48 AM
Tech Initiate

Would like to emphasize the importance of setting the diff before the slipper. once the diff spins/slips permanent damage occurs.
RazorRC likes this.