• 3 Post By tomkatn
  • 1 Post By hairymuffin
  • 1 Post By TheBeave

Tone down the steering

Old 02-13-2020, 05:44 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)
Default Tone down the steering

I am looking for some help with my stadium truck. I have a t5m that has not seen the track barely at all. It sucks to drive. It's super twitchy and difficult to control. Please give me some adjustments or suggestions as to what I could do to try to make it easier to drive. I would really like to get some use out of it. Thanks a bunch.
Old 02-13-2020, 06:32 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 37 (100%+)

steering EXP..... decrease it.
Old 02-13-2020, 07:22 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 93 (100%+)

Stiffer springs/shock oil front, softer in rear, harder compound tires to front/less aggressive tread, shift more weight/lipo to rear, make sure ride height does not have nose down, check steering servo is centered and endpoints are set, binds in steering/front end geometry, check toe settings, make sure you have the same settings/caster block inserts R & L … hard to determine your issue without seeing/driving, bottom line is make sure everything is centered and free of binds, settings neutral to start … maybe tone down (or at least look at) the power/gearing you are using making it undrivable? … make sure your ball cups are not binding on the ball studs, very common and well documented on the '5' series vehicles ...

Have you set it up per manual specs? … first place I look from kit settings if everything is balanced and free of binds, is if the right tires (tread/compound/size) first, suspension settings next, then radio settings to compensate/fine tune … I run dirt ovals only, so things are a bit different, but steering/tracking/drivability/control is what it is everywhere …

JMHO'S … as always
Old 02-13-2020, 07:33 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Did you buy it used or buy it new and build it?

The reason I ask is typically most alignments from a standard build will be on the conservative side. However, if you bought a used vehicle, the previous owner may have had a more aggressive setup.
Old 02-13-2020, 09:32 PM
Tech Adept

Default T5m

I built the truck myself to the stock setup. Nothing is binding, and i pinched the ball cups well so they are free. I run at an indoor clay track so it has the same tires as all my vehicles and what everybody runs. I will try to set the battery as far back as I can, and turn down the steering EXP. Thanks for all the tips. Keep em coming. 👍
associated_ftw likes this.
Old 02-14-2020, 06:34 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 32 (97%+)

Do some figure 8's very slowly, make it so the truck can only barely do a figure 8 within a 8' box, if it can do the figure 8 within a 4' box then chances are you have too much throw, I would reduce your steering EPA until you get a balance between control while not sacrificing too much steering.

I've grown to dislike Expo and no longer use that setting.... as too much expo can cause snap over steer, think about going through a corner where at first it's easy to control, then when you hit the apex the expo will quickly drop off and then you snap into a spin out because the expo causes more harm than good... I find it better to use the Steering Speed adjustment instead which is a linear reduction to stabilize steering response. Many people buy a servo that is too fast for their reaction skill, that's where steering speed can be adjusted to your reaction skill.
idlecurrent and tomkatn like this.
Old 02-14-2020, 08:17 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 93 (100%+)

Is it on or off power that you are having the most issue with control? … determining where on the track the issues are, is important to determining how the weight transfer needs to be adjusted with suspension adjustments to correct it … is it on power in the straights, first getting on power coming out of turns (most weight transfer to rear), slowing/braking to enter turns (most weight transfer to front of vehicle), or in the center/apex of the turns where the biggest directional transition is taking place? … discerning what is happening where, is the first step towards correcting it …

"It's super twitchy and difficult to control. Please give me some adjustments or suggestions as to what I could do to try to make it easier to drive."

With all due respect, the above inquiry is pretty vague to diagnose …invariably if I find a car is 'twitchy', it is always way too much traction/load to the front wheels in relation to the rear wheels, either (on front) type/size of tire, too soft compound or insert, weight bias to front, etc., etc., ... I always try to hook the rear end up first, which usually creates a bit of a 'push' (understeer) situation when cornering, then I work to introduce steering as needed to the point it is comfortable to drive, which in essence is loosening the car up for an ideal driving balance for me … I drive other guys cars that they are really fast with, and they can be a total handful for me, and likewise, others will drive my cars and one guy will say it is too 'tight' and the next will say it is too 'loose' for them

Toe settings can make a difference …front toe in can make a car act aggressive on the straights, almost feeling twitchy … a slight front toe out can make the car feel more comfortable, better balanced … increasing rear toe in, can make the car more stable on the straights, and will help to take away the overall steering you will have …. keep in mind though, both of these settings will also affect how a vehicle enters and exits a turn … but should make the car feel more 'stable' overall …

To avoid making this a novel, I won't go in depth into ride height (lowering center of gravity will aid stability, increasing cornering ability), and front caster settings (more/higher degree=increased stability, helping the car stay straight while driving) …

FWIW, I agree with Bill's comment above, Exponential setting is not something I even begin to think of towards correcting a major issue (as it sounds like OP is having) … I fix the car, then consider radio settings as a fine tuning adjustment…

JMHO's .. as always

Old 02-14-2020, 05:38 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 37 (100%+)

Originally Posted by billdelong View Post
Do some figure 8's very slowly, make it so the truck can only barely do a figure 8 within a 8' box, if it can do the figure 8 within a 4' box then chances are you have too much throw, I would reduce your steering EPA until you get a balance between control while not sacrificing too much steering.

I've grown to dislike Expo and no longer use that setting.... as too much expo can cause snap over steer, think about going through a corner where at first it's easy to control, then when you hit the apex the expo will quickly drop off and then you snap into a spin out because the expo causes more harm than good... I find it better to use the Steering Speed adjustment instead which is a linear reduction to stabilize steering response. Many people buy a servo that is too fast for their reaction skill, that's where steering speed can be adjusted to your reaction skill.
not all radios have the steering speed adjustment feature.... expo (steering/throttle) is a basic feature that most of the brands and model transmitters have.
Old 02-15-2020, 08:18 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 32 (97%+)

Originally Posted by Phillip F View Post
not all radios have the steering speed adjustment feature.... expo (steering/throttle) is a basic feature that most of the brands and model transmitters have.
steering speed adjustment is a requirement for me, I reject any system that doesn't offer this feature BUT you can still accomplish the same effect if you buy a slower servo, main problem is that folks are pressured into buying a servo that is too fast for their reaction skill:

Which servo is right for me?
Old 02-15-2020, 11:14 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 102 (100%+)

Easy adjustment, if you can’t tone down the steering on your radio, you can also change the front roll center, add a 2mm spacer under your front ball stud camber link bulk head, this will tone down your steering response
Tommy Nobrakes likes this.
Old 02-15-2020, 11:29 AM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by hairymuffin View Post
Easy adjustment, if you canít tone down the steering on your radio, you can also change the front roll center, add a 2mm spacer under your front ball stud camber link bulk head, this will tone down your steering response
Thank you, that's what I been looking for.
Old 02-24-2020, 02:56 PM
Tech Rookie

What servo are you running? My first buggy, I put in a cheap amazon servo. Drove the buggy, super squirrely, I adjusted the steering curve until I went crazier. Found out that the servo was 2mm taller than a Savok, distance above the mounting brace. Swapped out for a Savok (1258) and this brought the steering link back inline. Summary, I had a geometry issue that was messing the steering curve.
Old 02-25-2020, 08:48 AM
Tech Adept

Default Servo

I have a spektrum 6040. Same servo in all my cars. Thanks though. I appreciate everyone's input.
Old 02-25-2020, 10:00 AM
Tech Apprentice

Shock location, put the top shock mount on the inner holes and the bottom shock mount on the outer holes, this will make it easier to drive. Or you can try thicker shock oil, it'll slower your dampening. 40wt shock oil is a good average to start with, it's a good middle of the road.
Tommy Nobrakes likes this.